Possitive conversations

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Possitive conversations

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Thought I'd share.......

Getting groceries about a week ago and while going back a few isles to look for things my wife forgot, this older lady, about maybe late seventies or older, walked up to me in a somewhat timidly way, and said that she felt safer with "people like me in the store".
I saw her walk up, but the comment caught me off guard and I remembered asking, "excuse me" ?

She pointed to the gun on my hip and made the comment that she knew a lot of people carried guns these days and that that didn't bother her.

She said she had considered getting a lic. but decided not to and I told her she should reconsider and gave her a card with OFCC's website, my name , ph# and e-mail on it.

A few more things were said but it seemed like she wanted to be on her way......and so did I..... so the conversation didn't last that long.

This is about the fourth, maybe fifth time, someone has walked up to me out of the blue and said thanks for carrying or something of that nature.

Funny thing is, I don't remember anyone coming up to me and saying they "didn't" like it that I was carrying....guess that's a good thing ? :)

Think it's been awhile since anyone's mentioned such an incident happening to them in our forums here, so I thought it would make for some interesting conversation.

Anyone else out there with a similar conversation recently?
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Possitive conversations

Post by WY_Not »

Great story. Nice to hear something positive with all the nonsense going on at the moment.

As for not hearing the flipside...Because cowards wouldn't come up to you and complain. They'd just call the cops and hope you get swatted.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

My experience is much like yours, 3FULLMAGS+1 - though I have had a couple of negative interactions. Never been swatted, but I do think the cops were called on me last year at the Stark County Fair. The other negative interactions I've had were from individuals who made comments loud enough to hear but chose not to approach and talk. I'd say I'm close to 100 to 1 positive to negative interactions.

Speaking of interactions, I'm heading to art-A-palooza at Boettler Park in Green this Saturday afternoon, anyone else going to be there?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

Good to hear!
Be nice to think that (more) people are doing some thinking these days but I doubt the hard core anti's may never open their minds to realism.
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Gramps wrote:Good to hear!
Be nice to think that (more) people are doing some thinking these days but I doubt the hard core anti's may never open their minds to realism.
Yes, most of the , as you call them, "hard core anti's", will never change their minds as their minds are already made up because they've already drank the coolaid, but every now and then one will see the light.

BUT, we can, (and should), try to educate those who will listen and are on the fence.
Darrel
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:
Gramps wrote:Good to hear!
Yes, most of the , as you call them, "hard core anti's", will never change their minds as their minds are already made up because they've already drank the coolaid, but every now and then one will see the light.

BUT, we can, (and should), try to educate those who will listen and are on the fence.
Educating brainwashed (Kool-Aid) drinkers is an tough uphill climb but as you say we have to try. I have a good friend who owns guns and is CCL holder who thinks we need more regulation on guns...
He even voted for the woman who lost, Mrs mean fat lady pants suit whats her name........ :?
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Gramps wrote:
Educating brainwashed (Kool-Aid) drinkers is an tough uphill climb but as you say we have to try. I have a good friend who owns guns and is CCL holder who thinks we need more regulation on guns...
He even voted for the woman who lost, Mrs mean fat lady pants suit whats her name........ :?
He's on the fence but (maybe) losing his balance and about to land on our side, Gramps. You are right there to give him the needed verbal kick in the pants. Start the discussion by finding out how much he actually bothers to carry instead of leaving it behind in the car, or worse yet at home. Think of threads on here that opened YOUR eyes and use 'em the same way on him.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
docachna

Post by docachna »

Friday evening early dinner at Bob Evans on Bethel Rd. in Cbus. OC'd a Walther PPS in the small of my back, IWB. As I left, the cashier must have either seen it earlier, or someone tipped her off, because she asked about my "harness". I figured she was talking about my holster, but I played stupid, and it developed into a nice discussion of IWB vs. OWB holsters (mine actually will serve as either !), and she remarked how her boyfriend didn't like carrying OWB. I sympathized with the problems it can cause, and we had a very nice chat about RKBA in general.

The "chicken little" reaction seems to be less and less common these days - at least in my experience. Nice to see. :)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

docachna wrote:Friday evening early dinner at Bob Evans on Bethel Rd. in Cbus. OC'd a Walther PPS in the small of my back, IWB. As I left, the cashier must have either seen it earlier, or someone tipped her off, because she asked about my "harness". I figured she was talking about my holster, but I played stupid, and it developed into a nice discussion of IWB vs. OWB holsters (mine actually will serve as either !), and she remarked how her boyfriend didn't like carrying OWB. I sympathized with the problems it can cause, and we had a very nice chat about RKBA in general.

The "chicken little" reaction seems to be less and less common these days - at least in my experience. Nice to see. :)
Just seems that ya don't have near as many possitive encounters such as these while ccing.....wonder why ?! :wink: :wink:
Darrel
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Today is the last "too hot to conceal" day we may have around here this year. You folks know that my normal mode is CC, and know how to dress around even a service sized handgun. But, I have been open carrying today, from my first stop (gas station) then several other places I have been before. Not sure that anyone, literally anyone, has noticed, except the guy who runs the indoor range I shoot at. After the range my next stop was a restaurant called The Log Cabin Inn, which sits between Covington and Independence Ky. (Try the Kentucky Hot Brown!) This is the one stop today that I've never been to before. The server noticed, but she didn't really care.

This has happened to me before: Many people pay no mind to familiar, friendly faces, but if you're a "newbie" a full sized 1911 on your hip might be big enough for somebody see take note of.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Brian D. wrote:Today is the last "too hot to conceal" day we may have around here this year. You folks know that my normal mode is CC, and know how to dress around even a service sized handgun. But, I have been open carrying today, from my first stop (gas station) then several other places I have been before. Not sure that anyone, literally anyone, has noticed, except the guy who runs the indoor range I shoot at. After the range my next stop was a restaurant called The Log Cabin Inn, which sits between Covington and Independence Ky. (Try the Kentucky Hot Brown!) This is the one stop today that I've never been to before. The server noticed, but she didn't really care.

This has happened to me before: Many people pay no mind to familiar, friendly faces, but if you're a "newbie" a full sized 1911 on your hip might be big enough for somebody see take note of.
Speaking of people not really noticing a sidearm on ones hip......

I've went to a lighter gun, (a Glock 43), and it's rather a small gun and I don't think many , even those who "don't" know me, really notice it on me, unless it's another carrier, that is.

Tuesday I stopped in the local Dairy Queen and this guy walked up behind me and ask if my gun was a 43 or 42. We talked a bit and he said he was a LEO, (but not in uniform), so you never know who your going to run into.

I discussed the issue of notification and that I was associated w/ OFCC and he generally agreed with me about how notification was handled in Ohio.
I gave him a card w/ my info on it and asked if he would call me so we could discuss the notification issue we are trying to fix.
So I hope he calls, who knows .
Darrel
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

"On the fence" ... a place to put your targets. :P
MyWifeSaidYes