Trip to Air Force Museum in Dayton

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Trip to Air Force Museum in Dayton

Post by dustymedic »

I know that the Air force Museum Building itself has screening for weapons and such, But am i safe to have it locked up in car safe when I reach the parking lot? Should I unholster and secure it before I drive on to the grounds?
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Trip to Air Force Museum in Dayton

Post by sodbuster95 »

It's been a long time since I've been there, but I believe the museum is located within the confines of Wright-Patterson Air Force base. You cannot bring a firearm onto federal property, locked in your vehicle or otherwise.

Someone will be along to correct me shortly if I'm mistaken.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Correct. No Firearms Allowed on the base period.
However they don't search cars coming on.
Take that for what it's worth, but i left mine at home.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

sodbuster95 wrote:You cannot bring a firearm onto federal property, locked in your vehicle or otherwise.

OK I'll bite, but just a little nitpick. It is not unlawful to have a firearm on federal property per se. It is illegal to have a weapon in a federal facility, meaning a building or part thereof owned or leased by the United States where employees are regularly present, yada yada yada.

Having just said that federal regulations have the force of law and many agencies (including the DoD which runs all military bases) have promulgated regulations prohibiting the average Joe CHL from having weapons on their property.

Making matters potentially more serious in Ohio is that places prohibited by federal law (which presumably includes regulations) are enumerated CPZs, thus state felony offenses. At the federal level carrying in a post office parking lot carries the same penalty as spitting on their sidewalk - a $50 ticket. So you have what is the most minor of federal offenses simultaneously being a very serious state offense. Here's your $50 ticket, and we'll be referring the facts of this incident to the county prosecutor for his independent assessment of appropriate charges, which you know will be forthcoming.

From a practical standpoint my advice tracks yours perfectly - don't carry on federal property other than National Park lands unless you are crystal clear that there are no regulations buried somewhere that would cause problems. Military bases are definitely out.
Michael

Post by Michael »

What others said... don't drive onto the museum property with a firearm. While the odds of getting busted are very low, the penalty for getting busted is very serious. It's simply not worth it.
The rifle is God's gift to the rifleman. - Fred
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll just leave it home. My initial concern was about us going to dinner in Dayton afterwards.
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

Park across the street and walk in.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Suckerspawn wrote:Park across the street and walk in.
It's been a long times since I've been there, but I don't believe that is possible.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

djthomas wrote:
sodbuster95 wrote:You cannot bring a firearm onto federal property, locked in your vehicle or otherwise.

OK I'll bite, but just a little nitpick.
Valid point.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

schmieg wrote:
It's been a long times since I've been there, but I don't believe that is possible.
Schmieg is correct. I mean, anywhere "nearby" you could potentially park would make for a long walk. And it would likely involve crossing a busy, divided highway/boulevard. My last visit I parked at a friend's house a few miles away and then we took his "sterile" car to the museum. I'd imagine you could do the same using a Dayton RTA bus to go in the gate. Maybe leave your vehicle at an RTA "park and ride" lot.

It's some extra trouble for folks like us, and why I only visit every five years or so.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Anybody know of any locker-rental facilities reasonably near the base to store a handgun while visiting the museum ?
Gonna be visiting there in the near future.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

curmudgeon3 wrote:Anybody know of any locker-rental facilities reasonably near the base to store a handgun while visiting the museum ?
Can't help you with that, 'mudge. Is it okay for me to call you 'mudge, after all these years?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

curmudgeon3 wrote:Anybody know of any locker-rental facilities reasonably near the base to store a handgun while visiting the museum ?
Someone years ago mentioned taking it to a gun store for a good cleaning. It wouldn't be on their books, and it would be safe. I don't know if it is possible, or even if it is a good option.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Mustang380gal wrote:
Someone years ago mentioned taking it to a gun store for a good cleaning. It wouldn't be on their books, and it would be safe. I don't know if it is possible, or even if it is a good option.
That would have to be a gun shop with a fast turn-around to do a cleaning and return the gun in one day. Most take several in my experience. Of course, I guess if you want to pay a premium.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

schmieg wrote:
The Buckeye Trail passes right in front of the Museum. Walking in is possible. There are also bike racks.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.