Easton Town Cenrter - 2017

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Tgoldie00

Easton Town Cenrter - 2017

Post by Tgoldie00 »

Good Morning!

I live in Dayton, work in Cincy, and will be heading up to Columbus this weekend with my wife to get out of town, take a mini-staycation for the weekend, and perhaps do a little shopping.

I have been bouncing to a number of different forums over the past couple of days trying to determine the actual CPZ status of Easton Town Center. Their site started weapons are prohibited, there are a couple of resources that state they have taken down the CPZ postings somewhat recently (this year), but no real forum thread activity since 2012 that I can find, at least on a cursory search.

Can anyone validate the CPZ status of the property? It is all private, so technically I will have to leave the firearm in my car (not something I am fond of doing obviously), leave it at home altogether (not my first choice), or carry and hope I don't get stopped (pretty easy with my pocket holster).

Just curious if anyone has been recently and can attest to current postings.

Many thanks!
I kind of like SIGs...
M400 SRP with some upgraded furniture and bolt-ons
P938 Blackwood (Daily CCW)
P226 Legion SAO (Bedside)
djthomas

Re: Easton Town Cenrter - 2017

Post by djthomas »

With the way the law is now there is absolutely no reason to leave it at home. If you get there and it's posted leave it in your car which the law explicitly allows you to do notwithstanding any rule, policy, or posting to the contrary.

I'm way past the point of caring about a gun being stored in my car.
1. If I lose it I have two more just like it at home. Worst case I'm out a couple hundred bucks.
2. I'm not responsible for the actions of a criminal who would steal something from my car. Would it suck to find out five years later that my stolen gun was used in a crime? I guess a little, but it's not like if my gun hadn't been stolen that future crime never would have occurred due to the lack of an available gun.
3. Cynically, if it does get stolen, and especially if it turns up in a crime, it makes for great statehouse testimony and/or conversations with elected officials vis a vis this could have all been prevented if the law allowed me to keep it on my person at all times.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I'd imagine most malls and such have a weapons prohibition listed online as part of their vaunted Code of Conduct. That's why I don't search up mall's websites. And I certainly don't look for a printed version of same once I arrive. if there's nothing conspicuous specific to a firearms on or next to whichever door entered, that's about all the due diligence taken by me.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Tgoldie00

Post by Tgoldie00 »

djthomas wrote:With the way the law is now there is absolutely no reason to leave it at home. If you get there and it's posted leave it in your car which the law explicitly allows you to do notwithstanding any rule, policy, or posting to the contrary.

I'm way past the point of caring about a gun being stored in my car.
1. If I lose it I have two more just like it at home. Worst case I'm out a couple hundred bucks.
2. I'm not responsible for the actions of a criminal who would steal something from my car. Would it suck to find out five years later that my stolen gun was used in a crime? I guess a little, but it's not like if my gun hadn't been stolen that future crime never would have occurred due to the lack of an available gun.
3. Cynically, if it does get stolen, and especially if it turns up in a crime, it makes for great statehouse testimony and/or conversations with elected officials vis a vis this could have all been prevented if the law allowed me to keep it on my person at all times.
Fair points all!
I kind of like SIGs...
Bombarde32
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Bombarde32 »

As I recall, the parking structures are "posted", in the sense that they have signage indicating a gun with a slash mark through it. I don't recall it strictly being the ORC chapter and verse, but the sentiment is there. The ground lots are NOT posted as I recall. I have tried to comply with the spirit of their request by parking on a ground lot and not in the garage.

If you enter through one of the archway tunnels they have in a few places, I recall seeing a code of conduct stating "no weapons" or the like.

I do not recall if individual stores are posted.

Typically, mall security seems to be most concerned with roving bands of suspicious youth. I suspect that if you're a plain looking middle age demographic (or the like) no one will pay you any care.

FWIW, if you head West on Morse Road from the mall, the neighborhoods lose their sparkle rather quickly. After your stay, promptly hop on I270.
Tgoldie00

Post by Tgoldie00 »

Bombarde32 wrote:As I recall, the parking structures are "posted", in the sense that they have signage indicating a gun with a slash mark through it. I don't recall it strictly being the ORC chapter and verse, but the sentiment is there. The ground lots are NOT posted as I recall. I have tried to comply with the spirit of their request by parking on a ground lot and not in the garage.

If you enter through one of the archway tunnels they have in a few places, I recall seeing a code of conduct stating "no weapons" or the like.

I do not recall if individual stores are posted.

Typically, mall security seems to be most concerned with roving bands of suspicious youth. I suspect that if you're a plain looking middle age demographic (or the like) no one will pay you any care.

FWIW, if you head West on Morse Road from the mall, the neighborhoods lose their sparkle rather quickly. After your stay, promptly hop on I270.
I am precisely a 39 year old balding male able to be practically invisible if said folks are searching for disenchanted youth. Ill wear urban cammo (golf shorts and a polo shirt) and no soul will likely be the wiser. Many thanks!
I kind of like SIGs...
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Bombarde32 wrote:the parking structures are "posted", in the sense that they have signage indicating a gun with a slash mark through it. I don't recall it strictly being the ORC chapter and verse, but the sentiment is there.
FYI, non-government signage doesn't have to cite ORC, it just has to get the point across and a "gunbuster" like you describe is sufficient. Now, with the new legislation that took effect early this year the signage on the parking structure cannot be enforced as long as the gun is locked in your vehicle.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Tgoldie00

Post by Tgoldie00 »

I was there and back today and noticed a few things...mostly the complete inconsistency of signage. My wife and I parked on a surface lot over by Northstar to meet some friends for breakfast, and entered the property just off of 270, and saw no signs whatsoever. After breakfast we then moved to the west surface lot adjacent to the parking structure, and saw one sign on one entrance, but nothing on one just further down the street. The messaging certainly is inconsistent that's for sure. Either way it was a pleasant and uneventful morning.
I kind of like SIGs...
docachna

Post by docachna »

Tgoldie00 wrote:I was there and back today and noticed a few things...mostly the complete inconsistency of signage. My wife and I parked on a surface lot over by Northstar to meet some friends for breakfast, and entered the property just off of 270, and saw no signs whatsoever. After breakfast we then moved to the west surface lot adjacent to the parking structure, and saw one sign on one entrance, but nothing on one just further down the street. The messaging certainly is inconsistent that's for sure. Either way it was a pleasant and uneventful morning.
It likely won't be an event for Easton management until an OLTCACH holder has to defend him/herself against an attack by an armed "urban yute" or four. THEN - THEN - all the anti's will be shrieking about how unsafe Easton is because of these irresponsible gun owners being permitted to bring their evil guns into the nice little shopping area. Signs will spring up at every vehicle entrance, and at every entrance to the mall walkways themselves. Wouldn't be surprised if Easton management didn't try to coerce those stores with outside entrances to post their entrance doors as well.

Until then - "hey, I didn't pass a sign. You say it's in your 'Code of Conduct' ? Didn't stop to read it. Not sure that's 'conspicuously posted' in any event. So sorry". Not encouraging any illegal acts here. However, you can't comply with a sign you never saw.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
747tech

Post by 747tech »

There is signage at the sidewalk entrances all around Easton. Kind of reminds me of the parking lot signs.
Former Navy and ANG
CCW holder/Instructor
NRA Basic pistol instructor
Range Safety Officer
Personal Protection inside and outside the home instructor
Advanced pistol instructor
Defensive pistol instructor
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

Bombarde32 wrote:
Yeah, I'm hoping that Men's Warehouse moves over to Easton, like their neighbor David's Bridal did. I had to go over to MW yesterday, and even at noon on a week day it was sketchy. It's kinda hard to carry in when your buying a new suit and know that you will be trying on a lot of clothes and being measured... :roll:
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

dustymedic wrote:
Bombarde32 wrote:
Yeah, I'm hoping that Men's Warehouse moves over to Easton, like their neighbor David's Bridal did. I had to go over to MW yesterday, and even at noon on a week day it was sketchy. It's kinda hard to carry in when your buying a new suit and know that you will be trying on a lot of clothes and being measured... :roll:
Been my experience, and others on this board, that some of what makes a men's clothing store great rather than okay, is their discretion as to what you have on your belt. In fact they can make the suit fit and drape better if they know that you carry. It's kind of like virtually any traditional barber shop in this part of the country; they know that some of their customers carry and don't get the vapors over it.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Actually it isn't hard to carry when buying a new suit at all. A few years back wife and I were out and decided to stop in at a MW to check prices as I needed a suit. As we were looking a sales person came over and offered to help. Quietly informed her that I was carrying. Without missing a beat she said, "no problem, when we do the measuring and tailoring, we'll take that in to account so the jacket will fit/hang better and minimize printing." Didn't have to disarm. She measured around the firearm, made a note of which side I carried on, etc. She was very helpful, knowledgeable, and professional. Ended up buying a suit, sports coat, and a couple of shirts.
dustymedic wrote:
Bombarde32 wrote:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

My experiences with Mens Wearhouse is that they are very carry friendly.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

schmieg wrote:My experiences with Mens Wearhouse is that they are very carry friendly.
Mine, too. They didn't blink when I told them I needed to buy a suit and dress around the XD.