Open Carry When You have a CHL?

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Open Carry When You have a CHL?

Post by dustymedic »

I was at the grocery store tonight and was talking to a Columbus Police Officer that was working special duty. He told me that while open carry is legal in Ohio. it is illegal to open carry if you do have a CHL. I told him he should contact his department's liaison to the city attorney's office.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Open Carry When You have a CHL?

Post by Aesinsp »

dustymedic wrote:I was at the grocery store tonight and was talking to a Columbus Police Officer that was working special duty. He told me that while open carry is legal in Ohio. it is illegal to open carry if you do have a CHL. I told him he should contact his department's liaison to the city attorney's office.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Good call.. I might have asked for the ORC ref for that. :wink:
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Amazes me this kind of ignorance is still around
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

Chuck wrote:Amazes me this kind of ignorance is still around
I've always been amazed that it ever started. Gee, when I get my driver's license does that mean I can no longer walk or ride by bicycle places?
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
docachna

Post by docachna »

Sounds like a call is in order to the commander of the patrol division, suggesting that a "refresher" announcement be brought up at roll calls for about a week.

Someone obviously missed the memo................ :roll:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rimfireOH »

The few times I've encountered LEO or ex-LEO who tell me bad law, they have always backed off when I dig in and ask pointed questions or point out specific items in the ORC.

It almost makes me feel as if there's an attitude problem and not a knowledge/education problem.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

dustymedic wrote:I was at the grocery store tonight and was talking to a Columbus Police Officer that was working special duty. He told me that while open carry is legal in Ohio. it is illegal to open carry if you do have a CHL. I told him he should contact his department's liaison to the city attorney's office.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Where?

I don't care about the particular officer, but I would like to know what precinct and/or zone this was in.

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to mention the name of the store in the forum.

http://www.columbuspolice.org/Maps/City ... 1-2011.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
rottman43055

Post by rottman43055 »

This is the kind of stuff I found exhausting when I was active in the 2A community years ago.

I'm glad to see it seems the gun right activists are growing.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
Michael

Post by Michael »

rimfireOH wrote:The few times I've encountered LEO or ex-LEO who tell me bad law, they have always backed off when I dig in and ask pointed questions or point out specific items in the ORC.

It almost makes me feel as if there's an attitude problem and not a knowledge/education problem.
There are many LEOs who know the law but do not want you to know the law. So they lie to you. It's unfortunate.
The rifle is God's gift to the rifleman. - Fred
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Michael wrote: There are many LEOs who know the law but do not want you to know the law. So they lie to you. It's unfortunate.
This does happen, but simple ignorance seems to be far more prominent.
MyWifeSaidYes
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

Hanlon's Razor- "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" 8)
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
esprrfan2001

Post by esprrfan2001 »

You know this comes up at work time to time. The last time I called the Attorney General one of his reps said "The state constitution gives you the right to carry. All a chl does is allow you to conceal it, it DOES NOT STRIP YOU OF YOUR RIGHT. He said think of it like this, just because you have a driver's license doesn't mean you can't ride a bus. The cop is wrong.
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Spring is here and the weather warms up later in day. Can you remove your coat to get in your car and have the firearm on your hip exposed while driving. Basically you are open carrying in a motor vehicle. You have a valid CHL. Is this legal?
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

Yes, it is my understanding that that would be legal.
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Yup, I'm not a lawyer. Having the CHL in this respect allows a nice transition from out of the car to into the car while open carrying, as if being in possession of a loaded pistol while seated in a vehicle isn't a crime...
Thinking ahead, just where is your car parked during this hypothetical scenario.. There could b something to jam u up there. :roll:
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe