Gas or Piston for AR-15 Match Accuracy? video

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Gas or Piston for AR-15 Match Accuracy? video

Post by JU-87 »

I never bought the "it poops where it eats" (non)argument the Piston gun fans make. I think they are all real quite now, having spent an extra $300-$500 on a feature that adds little or nothing to there AR-15.

I'm happy I stuck with DI (Direct Impingment). :)

Gas or Piston for AR-15 Match Accuracy?
Watch the video above of the testing process described in this article. Using the same Krieger barrel, lower and upper, the Gas Piston gun upset the barrel harmonics enough to degrade accuracy for a match gun intended for 1/2 MOA accuracy on paper targets. Each gun fired three groups of five rounds with cleaning in between each group and a cool-off period of 60 seconds per shot.

Master gunsmith and builder David Sams approached us with the idea of settling a nagging question about the effect that a gas piston modification might have on an AR-15’s accuracy. Keep in mind that when Sams says “accuracy,” he’s talking about sub minute-of-angle (MOA) design methods learned while at the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit. Sams’ experience making world-class match guns and frequent discussions with industry experts led him to question the wisdom of re-designing the AR-15 match grade rifle to accommodate a gas piston design. “Why fix what isn’t broken?” For an objective review, Sams invited us to participate in head-to-head tests. Sams would build the common platform to be used for both tests and we would serve as spotter, videographer and scorer.
https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/2/2 ... -accuracy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
CCIman

Re: Gas or Piston for AR-15 Match Accuracy? video

Post by CCIman »

If I ever worry about shooting ants, or flies, or pin-head (microcephalic) zombies at 100 yrds, I'll buy a match grade DI-AR....but right now I am very happy with my piston ARs, Tavors, CZ58, M-1's, and AK's.
'CAN' does not equal "SHOULD'.
albertrich01

Post by albertrich01 »

Gas piston guns are designed from the ground up to withstand the rigors of metal-to-metal impact by using steel components.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

On accuracy issues, my Rock River Predator Pursuit will out shoot my Sig 556xi, even if I have a brain fart on the trigger.
The Sig however, is built similar to an AK, and designed for reliability under rotten conditions, not extreme accuracy.
I have not had a chance to compare them to a POF , Sig 516 series, or the Ruger SR's.
If I buy another piston rifle, it will be something that was designed from the ground up as such, CZ 805, SCAR, M1A, etc..
Just something about the way the action rod and bolt carrier group come together (on AR platform piston guns) that doesn't look real good from a mechanical aspect.
With the gas AR's, after 50 years of use, folks know what the issues are, and how to deal with them.
The important thing is, what do you want ?
CCIman

Post by CCIman »

Unless you are comparing apples to apples (same gun, and setup, one with piston and one with DI) - using same barrel, handguard, trigger, sights, shooter and ammo (under same conditions: temps, humidity, wind, measuring device and lighting), this discussion is moot, and useless.
'CAN' does not equal "SHOULD'.