Fairlawn/Montrose CPZs

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Notasmiff

Fairlawn/Montrose CPZs

Post by Notasmiff »

I recently went to ship something FEDEX in Fairlawn [I don't get out much :roll: ]
Saw they had a sign in the entrance to the parking lot shared by other businesses .
Are ALL areas in Montrose/Fairlawn that way ?? I left my EDC in the car and did my thing and left, annoyed.
Did I do the right thing or was having my gun at all a violation ?
I had to use FEDEX as it was a return from them to Rock Auto.

This is how I really feel !!

Notasmiff

Re: Fairlawn/Montrose CPZs

Post by Notasmiff »

I bumped this to see if I get an answer.
Really annoyed by this policy and have not patroned much in that area.
The Swenson's is the closest one to me :x

How can someone in another city change this bs
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

I'm sorry i can't answer as i don't live in that area to know if everything around there is cpz.
The part of Ohio Revised Code is 2923.126 C(3)a,
If a person knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature and the posted land or premises primarily was a parking lot or other parking facility, the person is not guilty of criminal trespass under section 2911.21 of the Revised Code or under any other criminal law of this state or criminal law, ordinance, or resolution of a political subdivision of this state, and instead is subject only to a civil cause of action for trespass based on the violation."
There would be no criminal charges in a parking lot, just a civil suit (which would be ridiculous, because civil suits require proving damages or something? Not happening...they would just trespass you from coming back)
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

I don't shop much in Fairlawn, but I do go to Summit Mall (posted sometimes) and Barnes & Noble every once in a while. I have not noticed signs from the road. There are none at B&N. I don't think there is one at the HobbyLobby lot. I shopped in a few places a couple of months ago, and I don't remember seeing signs at those lots. I was in OfficeMAx and Staples.

Evan is right, it would be a civil violation. If I remember right, the owner would have to show harm.

I live closer to Canton, and the Strip in North Canton is posted at each entrance. I usually just leave it in the car, but most of the stores themselves are not posted.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

OK, set me straight here. I thought there was a recent bill passed at the statehouse that you could enter a parking lot of a private business as long as you leave the gun locked up in the car and not enter the business building with it. Was this just employee parking lot if you work there and school parking lot?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

qmti wrote:OK, set me straight here. I thought there was a recent bill passed at the statehouse that you could enter a parking lot of a private business as long as you leave the gun locked up in the car and not enter the business building with it. Was this just employee parking lot if you work there and school parking lot?
Correct, Ohio's new parking lot law went into effect in March. It applies to any business entity, property owner, or public or private employer, and covers any person with a CHL. As long as you have a CHL and meet the two criteria:
(1) Each firearm and all of the ammunition remains inside the person's privately owned motor vehicle while the person is physically present inside the motor vehicle, or each firearm and all of the ammunition is locked within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or container within or on the person's privately owned motor vehicle;

(2) The vehicle is in a location where it is otherwise permitted to be.
(Emphasis mine)

Be careful of the underlined portion - as I read it, just locking it inside of your vehicle isn't enough - it must either be locked in the trunk or in a locked container within (or on) the vehicle. You can't just toss it in the glove box - unless the glove box locks.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

JustaShooter wrote:
qmti wrote:OK, set me straight here. I thought there was a recent bill passed at the statehouse that you could enter a parking lot of a private business as long as you leave the gun locked up in the car and not enter the business building with it. Was this just employee parking lot if you work there and school parking lot?
Correct, Ohio's new parking lot law went into effect in March. It applies to any business entity, property owner, or public or private employer, and covers any person with a CHL. As long as you have a CHL and meet the two criteria:
(1) Each firearm and all of the ammunition remains inside the person's privately owned motor vehicle while the person is physically present inside the motor vehicle, or each firearm and all of the ammunition is locked within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or container within or on the person's privately owned motor vehicle;

(2) The vehicle is in a location where it is otherwise permitted to be.

(Emphasis mine)

Be careful of the underlined portion - as I read it, just locking it inside of your vehicle isn't enough - it must either be locked in the trunk or in a locked container within (or on) the vehicle. You can't just toss it in the glove box - unless the glove box locks.
Thanks, that's what I thought. I have a lock safe box in car.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Now, see, this is why I try not to comment on "is this legal" posts. I always forget about the latest new law, and always get it wrong. :(

Sorry I messed up!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I used to live in that area. But that was before 2004 when Ohio got concealed carry.

So I tend to pay attention when it's mentioned on this forum.
Especially since, for years, my medical and dental providers were on that side of Akron.

IIRC, early on it was established that the landlord of much of the commercial properties along Route 18 (West Market St.) in Fairlawn/Montrose was/is owned by a company/family that is/was VERY anti-gun and anti-gun rights.
Nearly all of the parking lots of those properties were posted with CPZ signs even though the tenant businesses weren't posted.

IIRC the most obvious was the parking lot of Walmart and Sam's Club.

Question: Where's the no guns signs?
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1360845 ... 312!8i6656
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Notasmiff

Post by Notasmiff »

AlanM wrote:I used to live in that area. But that was before 2004 when Ohio got concealed carry.

IIRC the most obvious was the parking lot of Walmart and Sam's Club.

Question: Where's the no guns signs?
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1360845 ... 312!8i6656
The sign I saw was to the West of your pic, at the entrance to the lot before you turned to the parking area.
I haven't been back, other than to Swenson's since May. I don't recall seeing one at Swenson's. Nor was one on the door of Fed Ex.
I usually send to big guns now [the wife :lol: ]

All some good info everyone. I sure feel safer knowing the criminals will lock THEIR guns in the trunk in this area !! :P

Now, it seems the signs, to me, are a violation of state 2nd A rights !!
How can we get them removed ???
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Well, now, trying to get them removed is going to open another can of worms. It hasn't worked on Stark Enterprises in North Canton.

Yes, we have the right to carry a firearm for our protection.

BUT that is private property, and the owners have the right to control (to a degree) what happens on their property. The lots are not an issue anymore, with the new law. They still do have the option to post the buildings.

Not that I am especially happy about that, mind you.
Notasmiff

Post by Notasmiff »

Like I said, I didn't see any signs on the buildings. Just about 20' off the road by the entrance to the parking lot.

Their loss I guess.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

It has long been the policy of Stark Enterprises (no, not Stark Industries, owned by Tony Stark aka Ironman), who own many of the shopping centers in the area, to post their parking lots. The current R.C. 2923.1210 makes those signs partially invalid because you can lock your firearm inside a container in the vehicle. However, traversing the parking lot into a business which is not posted (and many are not), while carrying your firearm may be problematic because R.C. 2923.126(C)(3)(a) still applies. Yeah, it's only a civil action, and I have no knowledge of any such civil action being filed, but you never know what an annoyed developer will do to enforce their anti-gun agenda.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Werz wrote:It has long been the policy of Stark Enterprises (no, not Stark Industries, owned by Tony Stark aka Ironman)...
I chuckle about the name every time that the evil northeast Ohio shopping center owners are mentioned.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
DOC

Post by DOC »

Question about this post? It looks like I see the answer to a question I have! In the employee manual for the company I work for it clearly, state you are not allowed to have any weapons ( guns) of any kind on company property. I thought the recent states my employer cannot keep me from carrying my concealed gun to work with me and leave it in a lockbox locked in my trunk. I know I cannot and do not plan on taking it into the workplace. I run around to different places before and after work and don't want to go all the way home to drop off or pick up my gun. It's out of the way. I do have my carry permit. Can I get a link to this new law to share with my boss in case I get caught? Or I might find a way to get it in his hands without him knowing its from me. Then that brings up another question. I do deliveries for the company in my car should I just leave my gun in the lockbox while doing deliveries? I know some of the places I deliver to have posted lots. Which means I would have to disarm and lock my gun in the lockbox and trunk. Some of the areas I deliver to are not good areas.

This is the first post I've posted in a while due to health problems back issues and a bout with breast cancer. Yes guys get breast cancer too. But I'm a very quiet person and don't talk much which means I do not post a lot or reply a lot. So any help on this post would be appreciated