Do you know anyone who has been shot?

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

gilly32
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Do you know anyone who has been shot?

Post by gilly32 »

According to a Pew Research Center poll, 44% of all Americans personally know someone who has been shot, either by accident or intentionally.

This article below is titled: America’s Relationship With Guns? New Research Shows It’s Complicated

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-r ... d_nn_tw_ma
"The right to keep and bear arms is rooted in both self-defense and insurance against government’s propensity toward tyranny. The right pre-existed the Constitution. Thus, the Second Amendment is not its source. The right to keep and bear arms is natural and inalienable; the Second Amendment protects it, and Congress has no legitimate power to restrict it." - Senator John Cornyn (R., Tex.), as reported in the National Review on July 4, 2016

Burma Shave
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Do you know anyone who has been shot?

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

44% of people who have nothing better to do than spend several minutes answering a telephone poll
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

I believe I have known 2 of us civilians who were hurt, and one murdered.
The number of vets who held a Purple Heart, I lost track of.
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

Son, shot in a bar within the last two years. Survived, hit in the shoulder.
Dad, shot in the shoulder while in the Navy.
And I can think of at least three other people I know, or am familiar with, that have been shot over the years, but I don't know any details.

I'm glad this isn't a poll, because I hate being a statistic. :wink:
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
Bombarde32
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Bombarde32 »

My brother...shot in the leg with a BB gun...by me before I knew better.

At least I didn't put his eye out!
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

I used to work as an emergency nurse. I saw more than one gunshot. Mostly thighs by stupid kids. Two head shots. One survived, one did not.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

I'm a part of this statistic, too.

I know of several who were shot. Some survived, some did not.

This is in a context outside of war and other such large-scale conflicts. I am looking at this from a viewpoint of replying "yes" only if I knew of someone who either shot themselves or who were shot in a "peer-to-peer "manner.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

My son's grandfather was shot and killed in his driveway in 2012.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I've had experience in armed security and public law enforcement, and EMS. Although I know of or knew plenty of people who have been shot, I don't have any close family members who have ever been shot in any civilian encounter.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

When I was in the Army, I knew a LOT of people who'd been shot... bayoneted and blown up too.

I can't remember if either of my great uncles were gassed in WWI while serving with the French Army. One of them had trench foot, which complicated by diabetes later led to amputation.

My best friend from college was shot in the back of the leg when he was in highschool. It was a hunting accident with a .22.

While at a range in Brunswick Hills in the '90s, I was hit in the back of the hand by a large piece of jacket material that bounced back due to an improperly maintained backstop system. It was sticking out of the back of my hand, one of the petals having penetrated the flesh. So I guess I've been shot.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Good buddy of mine constantly tells people that I shot him. Typically, he opens the discussion with, "oh, is that the gun you shot me with?" What actually happened is that he was shooting my carry gun at a very ill-conceived steel target at about 12 yards when the bullet shattered and came back directly at him in pieces. He took two sizable chunks in the gut. One chuck he removed right then and the other one was smaller and deeper and he fished that one out a couple days later. He is a Sheriff's Deputy now... and still opens the story the same way.

Pretty sure we have a trainer who posts classes here in our forum that Glock'd himself in a class a couple years ago. :shock:
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Just prior to WW2 my Dad to my two older brothers out onto the North Dakota plains to teach them to shoot.
He somehow shot himself in the foot.

While in a Naval Hospital after a appendectomy there was a USAF airman in the next bed that stuck a .22 pistol in his mouth and pulled the trigger.
He missed. Bullet hit and shattered a rear molar and ended up near his spine. He wasn't paralyzed but had problems swallowing for a while.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Sevens wrote:Good buddy of mine constantly tells people that I shot him. Typically, he opens the discussion with, "oh, is that the gun you shot me with?" What actually happened is that he was shooting my carry gun at a very ill-conceived steel target at about 12 yards when the bullet shattered and came back directly at him in pieces. He took two sizable chunks in the gut. One chuck he removed right then and the other one was smaller and deeper and he fished that one out a couple days later. He is a Sheriff's Deputy now... and still opens the story the same way.
If bouncebacks off reactive targets count I've been both shooter and shootee. One of my lead .45 Long Colt bullets hit the crater that was dead center of a steel target at a cowboy action match. It came back uprange and took a chunk out of a guy's nose.

Another time, one of my .45 acp bullets spun a bowling pin and dislodged a .357 bullet, which hit me in the thigh and left a helluva bruise.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
dingode

Post by dingode »

Friend of mine was a TV repairman in Detroit. Took a .22 to the butt when he wouldn't hand over a broken TV to some thugs. In and out wound, he said it didn't bleed very much even.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Sevens wrote: Pretty sure we have a trainer who posts classes here in our forum that Glock'd himself in a class a couple years ago. :shock:
I don't think I've seen Chris Cerino post here, personally.

However, he readily admits to his error with the locking SERPA (I haven't had the opportunity to take any of his classes lately, but as of 3 years ago, he had not yet banned locking SERPAs in his classes), and he makes a point of highlighting his negligence in novice/beginner classes, as a part of the safety discussion and again where it comes to holster work.

Having taken a couple of classes from him, yes, I counted him in my statistic.

And yes, I am still looking forward to taking more classes from him.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio