NRA Carry Guard

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

NRA Carry Guard

Post by AzRanger »

Did anyone sign up for this? Important insurance to cover legal costs if you have to defend yourself.

Looks like a good idea! 8)
God made man, Colt made them equal
M-Quigley

Re: NRA Carry Guard

Post by M-Quigley »

No, not yet, don't know anything about the details. (haven't read my American Rifleman yet) It does however explain why the two main competitors to this program were allegedly told 2 weeks before the NRA convention in Atlanta were not allowed to have a booth there.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Lots of discussions on Facebook. Most have said, ok all have said, it kinda sucks.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

pirateguy191 wrote:Lots of discussions on Facebook. Most have said, ok all have said, it kinda sucks.
I'm not on Facebook. Was there any consensus about which organization or company that sucks the least?
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

M-Quigley wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:Lots of discussions on Facebook. Most have said, ok all have said, it kinda sucks.
I'm not on Facebook. Was there any consensus about which organization or company that sucks the least?
I believe USCCA. I'll see if I can find it.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

I think it's important to note that chart was prepared by USCCA so of course it highlights things in the best way for them.

For example, take the coverage amounts (1.125 m vs 1m for NRA). That's deceptive because the amounts both plans offer for criminal charges are much lower ($125,000 for USCCA vs $150,000 for NRA). I'm not sure why they only list the NRA limit as $1,000,000 vs $1,150,000 since from what I can tell the civil/criminal benefit amounts are separate for each group ("Civil defense legal fees are in addition to the insurance limit for each membership level.").

I'm also confused about USCCA's claim that their $125,000 benefit is "regardless of the verdict in court" because their full policy document clearly states otherwise:
Exclusions
This insurance does not apply to:
a. Criminal Acts
Bodily injury” or “property damage” arising out of a criminal act by any insured or caused
by or during any criminal act of any insured. This exclusion does not apply to“bodily
injury”or “property damage” resulting from an “act of self-defense”.
So how can they claim the benefit is "regardless of the verdict in court" ?

As far as spousal coverage, USCCA claims they cover your spouse in the primary residence and residence while traveling, vs. their claim that NRA's plan only covers your spouse in the primary residence. However the NRA says
- Spouses are automatically covered at no additional cost.
- Family members who live with the NRA Carry Guard member are covered for acts of self-defense in the home at no additional cost.
I'm sure there's more, and I'm not advocating either plan, but I'd recommend not just believing the summary put out by one group vs. the other.
AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by AzRanger »

Since the NRA has been around forever and doesn't look like they're going away I think I'm going to sign up with them. :wink:
God made man, Colt made them equal
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

AzRanger wrote:Since the NRA has been around forever and doesn't look like they're going away I think I'm going to sign up with them. :wink:
That's one.

dingode

Post by dingode »

There is a story that USCCA had a spot all rented for the recent NRA convention and then shortly before the convention kicked off the NRA disinvited them because they, the NRA, were coming out with carry shield. Kinda dirty of the NRA if this is true.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

dingode wrote:There is a story that USCCA had a spot all rented for the recent NRA convention and then shortly before the convention kicked off the NRA disinvited them because they, the NRA, were coming out with carry shield. Kinda dirty of the NRA if this is true.
Although the reason hasn't been officially confirmed, the rest is true.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/presid ... l-meeting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

Would love to see an unbiased head to head comparison of the NRA's Carry guard, USCCA, Second Call Defense, and ACLDN (ACLDN I believe was one of the first)

https://www.concealedcarry.com/law/shie ... -compared/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/index. ... yers-guide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://misfiresandlightstrikes.com/2016 ... omparison/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://selfdefensefund.com/wp-content/ ... -Chart.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like a lot of the comparisons haven't updated since NRA Carry Guard was announced.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
docachna

Post by docachna »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:

For example, take the coverage amounts (1.125 m vs 1m for NRA). That's deceptive because the amounts both plans offer for criminal charges are much lower ($125,000 for USCCA vs $150,000 for NRA). I'm not sure why they only list the NRA limit as $1,000,000 vs $1,150,000 since from what I can tell the civil/criminal benefit amounts are separate for each group ("Civil defense legal fees are in addition to the insurance limit for each membership level.").
Most insurance policies (auto, homeowners, commercial liability) have defined limits of indemnity they will pay on behalf of their insured, commonly referred to as the "policy limits". Most of the above policies pay defense costs under a separate provision, something often called "Supplementary Payments". That means it's unrelated to the policy limits available to pay a verdict or settlement.

Exceptions are stuff like some Employee Practices Liability Insurance. Say you run a business and have EPLI coverage with $100,000 policy limits. An employee or former employee sues your company for something that is covered under EPLI. The EPLI has what is known as "depleting limits" - in other words, every dollar spent for a defense lawyer is deducted from your policy limits. So if your company hires a lawyer to defend you, and the lawyer runs up $25,000 in defense costs before the matter is settled or tried, you only have $75,000 in EPLI policy limits left.

USCCA does not appear to have depleting limits. I don't have access to an NRA policy, so I can't say (it's usually available only in the policy, not in their sales propaganda). If it reads like the quote above, then defense costs are in addition to the liability limits, either capped at a certain amount, or unlimited defense costs.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Ray81
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Ray81 »

Ccwsafe member found not guilty in self defense shooting.
Ccwsafe member pays zero out of pocket of $300,000 in legal mumbo jumbo fees.

Watch YouTube video here.

https://youtu.be/xzWuEKyhdKE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm thinking of switching to ccwsafe when my gun owners legal membership ends in october.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Thanks for sharing this.

Here's a thread identifying the case: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/sho ... p=20449551" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a news article that gives the prosecution's theory of the case, and the defense's side: http://www.wilsontimes.com/stories/stat ... rial,90208" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;