Is "Glock Leg" a thing?

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Is "Glock Leg" a thing?

Post by bignflnut »

Has anyone ever heard of this?
Sounds like a decent band name or username/password...
Though the phenomena of negligent discharges with striker-fired guns has acquired the name “Glock leg,” thanks to the fact so many have occurred with the company’s pistols, that is more of a matter of Glock dominating the police and civilian markets than it is through any fault of the design. This sort of incident is unfortunately common with other firearms as well, and is typically the result of carelessness, negligence, and/or poor training.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Brian D.

Re: Is "Glock Leg" a thing?

Post by Brian D. »

Yeah, it's been in gun parlance for a while. If the HK P-7 had been more agency affordable, the term would have been applied to it, back in the day. Still the first thing that comes to mind when NJ State Police are mentioned to me.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

I'd say that this thing is more prevelant with short trigger travels, and easier with lighter weights. Manual safety or not - look how many people click off a 1911 safety on the draw before it's pointed at the target (even if they think they're doing otherwise). Combined with a natural reaction for the trigger finger to go where it 'belongs' (the big hole where the hand normaly would place the index finger when closed) under nominal stressors and you get an unintentional discharge.

This is one of three reasons why I transitioned BACK to double/single action pistols.
Safety/use reasons why:
Ability to ride the hammer while holstering helps prevent issues when going into the holster
A longer trigger travel helps prevent issues when coming out of the holster (and gives a chance to turn a situation into a no-shoot as things unfold)
If I forget to run the only manual control (decocker) I'm no worse than a striker - whereas a safety can prevent a shot when needed

The fact that no striker can touch the single action on a srt-sear equipped Sig or Beretta with a D spring is the personal preference part/snob part. But I do run a stock Glock 19 as well as a P226, so take that with a grain of salt

I put a gadget on the glock to control the striker - making the 'thumb the hammer part' more consistent when I do need to carry the G19 - and more difficult for hte striker to drop when holstering.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
BB62

Post by BB62 »

jeep45238 wrote:...I put a gadget on the glock to control the striker - making the 'thumb the hammer part' more consistent when I do need to carry the G19 - and more difficult for hte striker to drop when holstering.
What kind of "gadget"?
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

jeep45238 wrote: The fact that no striker can touch the single action on a srt-sear equipped Sig or Beretta with a D spring is the personal preference part/snob part. But I do run a stock Glock 19 as well as a P226, so take that with a grain of salt
Yep, agree...but you have to go through that dog-gone awful first DA trigger pull to get there. You could take a nap before that first shot breaks on some DS/SA guns (the ones without any modifications, mostly).

Then you have to remember to decock when you are done, or that nice SA trigger bites you in the...leg...more easily.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

BB62 wrote:
jeep45238 wrote:...I put a gadget on the glock to control the striker - making the 'thumb the hammer part' more consistent when I do need to carry the G19 - and more difficult for hte striker to drop when holstering.
What kind of "gadget"?
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gadg ... l-device#/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Use Google search terms "the gadget glock device" and you'll get a lot of pertinent hits. :)

------

I do not see this as a hardware issue.

I see this purely as a software issue.

The problem with relegating this to a hardware concern is the inherent danger of thinking that with X or Y gun, I'm either exempt from Glock-Legging myself or that it's harder for me to Glock-Leg myself. This simply breeds complacency.

Understand that the re-holster stroke always carries inherent risk. Be aware of your muzzle. Be aware of your trigger finger placement. Be aware of your holster (including its physical condition) and anything (including external debris) that may have gotten into the holster or may be blocking its mouth and may thus interact with the trigger.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I thought it was the "Serpa Leg". Where's Carmen?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Mr. Glock wrote:
jeep45238 wrote: The fact that no striker can touch the single action on a srt-sear equipped Sig or Beretta with a D spring is the personal preference part/snob part. But I do run a stock Glock 19 as well as a P226, so take that with a grain of salt
Yep, agree...but you have to go through that dog-gone awful first DA trigger pull to get there. You could take a nap before that first shot breaks on some DS/SA guns (the ones without any modifications, mostly).

Then you have to remember to decock when you are done, or that nice SA trigger bites you in the...leg...more easily.

I fully disagree with 'dog awful' - but I do agree if you don't put in the work, you'll never get close to even doing okay with it. I find the DA shot to be more accurate than the SA shot, as odd as that may seem. And quite a joy to use in dry-fire, vs. a striker where I need to run the slide all the time to reset things.

I also disagree with the decocking sentiment - a cocked traditional double action pistol is no worse than a fully cocked striker system (Sig P320, S&W MP, XD series for examples). Combine that with thumbing the hammer, and you prevent the problem from occurring if there's an obstruction. Decocked - hammer down, thumb with light pressure = stupid amounts of trigger pressure to drop hammer. Cocked - thumb with light pressure prevents the hammer from hitting the firing pin. 1 manual of arms gives you the "somethings wrong" feeling and a double check against a boom happening when you don't want it too. The SA is nothing like a 1911 trigger - Sigs can get close if you're shooting to the reset with the SRT sear, but once your finger leaves the trigger, there's a ton of take up. Non-SRT sears are never close to 1911's, but neither system really creeps up as 'slow' compared to a striker - if you do the work.

Don't look at it as two trigger pulls - look at it like a long trigger pull and a really, really short reset.
TSiWRX wrote:
BB62 wrote:
What kind of "gadget"?
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gadg ... l-device#/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Use Google search terms "the gadget glock device" and you'll get a lot of pertinent hits. :)

------

I do not see this as a hardware issue.

I see this purely as a software issue.

The problem with relegating this to a hardware concern is the inherent danger of thinking that with X or Y gun, I'm either exempt from Glock-Legging myself or that it's harder for me to Glock-Leg myself. This simply breeds complacency.

Understand that the re-holster stroke always carries inherent risk. Be aware of your muzzle. Be aware of your trigger finger placement. Be aware of your holster (including its physical condition) and anything (including external debris) that may have gotten into the holster or may be blocking its mouth and may thus interact with the trigger.
It is fully a software issue. I installed the gadget for to standardize as much of my manual of arms as possible between hammer and striker guns, with a strong preference towards hammers.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

TSiWRX wrote:...I do not see this as a hardware issue.

I see this purely as a software issue....
This sums it all up!

To the OP: No. I've never heard of "Glock leg". But I have heard of negligent discharges.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

With the Beretta 92 design, I have switched over to the "G" variant. The difference on those is that the decocker is spring loaded and does NOT also function as a manual safety. Reason this is relevant (for me) in this conversation is because I looked hard at a low miles used Beretta 96FS* today at the gun show, but passed on it because I'm now very used to the "G' setup and don't care to go back.

*The 96 is the .40 caliber version of the model 92 series. Other than the Browning Hi Power in .40, I have gotten rid of everything else I own in that chambering, as I find all the polymer guns offered in .40 sort of unpleasant compared to the same models in 9mm. The Beretta is heavier overall and it works well for me in either caliber. Guess I should keep my eye peeled for a seldom-encountered 96G, in the same manner I watch for unicorns and four leaf clovers.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Saint JMB is rolling over in his grave.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

jeep45238 wrote:[I installed the gadget for to standardize as much of my manual of arms as possible between hammer and striker guns, with a strong preference towards hammers.
+1.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio