Ohio University Open Carry Walk - misleading commentary

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BB62

Ohio University Open Carry Walk - misleading commentary

Post by BB62 »

The **editor** of the Athens News has taken bigotry and prejudice to a whole new level while "commenting" (LOL) on the Ohio University Walk:

http://www.athensnews.com/opinion/weari ... b87bf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Individuals who've participated in prior Walks I've organized will immediately recognize numerous questionable characterizations, among many other things. Other people, well, haters gonna hate.

Walk link: https://www.facebook.com/events/108698543003938" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What open-carry walkers hoped to prove remains a mystery

A group of openly armed gun-rights activists invaded the International Street Fair in uptown Athens on Saturday. Or perhaps “invaded” is overstating the situation.

The several openly armed men – two or three middle-aged or older wearing polo shirts and khaki shorts or jeans and a couple of younger men – strolled down Court Street amid the various international booths and attending crowds. Their grand entrance mainly elicited indifference from international and domestic students alike, as well as from the many Athens area residents who attended the popular annual Street Fair.

The gun activists were carrying pistols and rifles. Here, I’m going to save you from a precise identification of the firearms they were carrying. I don’t know and don’t care, and am guessing you don’t either.

To put it ultra-mildly, this was a case of the actual event not living up to the pre-event hype and alarm. When word spread Friday night and Saturday morning that an “Open-Carry Firearm Education Walk” had been planned to coincide with the Street Fair on Saturday, social media caught fire, with a chorus of local voices condemning the plans and their poor timing. ...
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
glocksmith

Re: Ohio University Open Carry Walk - misleading commentary

Post by glocksmith »

“I feel sad for those fellow Americans who think they are free. I wish they can understand what freedom really is. People openly carrying guns is freedom to intimidate others, but not a comfortable feeling for the vast number of people, especially us POCs (people of color).”
I'd like to see "people of color" more represented in OC marches...I think it'd go a ways to dispel the stereotype of White, "redneck" guys with guns. Unfortunately, at this point in time, I don't know anyone that fits the bill. I do see a diversity among gun enthusiasts at the gun shows, however, so that might be a good place to extend invitations to join in the march. Who knows...they just might accept.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
BB62

Post by BB62 »

glocksmith wrote:
“I feel sad for those fellow Americans who think they are free. I wish they can understand what freedom really is. People openly carrying guns is freedom to intimidate others, but not a comfortable feeling for the vast number of people, especially us POCs (people of color).”
I'd like to see "people of color" more represented in OC marches...I think it'd go a ways to dispel the stereotype of White, "redneck" guys with guns. Unfortunately, at this point in time, I don't know anyone that fits the bill. I do see a diversity among gun enthusiasts at the gun shows, however, so that might be a good place to extend invitations to join in the march. Who knows...they just might accept.
WALKS, man, walks! :wink:

Yes, I continue to try. <sigh> It's an extremely tough nut to crack.

Find me a black male in Cincinnati who will OC with me or by himself, will ya? :wink:
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

BB62

My letter to the editor

Post by BB62 »

The other day the editor of the Athens News penned a commentary about the Ohio University Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk, which took place last Saturday. Perhaps “commentary” is too generous a word for an 850+ word diatribe filled with bigotry, prejudice, and inaccuracies.

I was the organizer of the Walk, the ninth such Walk I’ve organized at public universities in Ohio and Kentucky. The original and continuing reason for the peaceful Walks is to advocate for concealed carry on campus, as well as to encourage dialogue (direct and indirect) on the related subjects of firearm rights and privileges. Walk participants look forward to others engaging us in conversation on such subjects.

Among other things, the editor’s screed deftly failed to mention the fact that the OUPD, APD, and the media were given more than a week’s notice of the Walk, including descriptive information, a history of the Walks, and a link to the Facebook event page – where civil dialogue was accepted and encouraged. However, when the media and OU’s administration chose not to share the fact that a Walk was to take place, along with background information, what could have been expected initially other than unfounded “conjecture and speculation”?

Unfortunately, the choice to leave people in the dark, and the refusal of many to assess the totality of the event page (once found) with its links to prior Walks and associated videos, led to frantic discussions by Fair organizers about whether or not to go forward with the Fair.

The editor also failed to mention that, as the event page clearly stated, our initial presence at the Street Fair was merely a waypoint for our tour around campus. We later returned, sans longarms, to sample food, continue to engage in dialogue, and have pictures taken with interested people.

I could go on and on, but the editor’s most outrageous statement was his assertion that if “OU’s more aggressive student activists” had been present and “an ugly or violent clash” took place, the Walkers “would have deserved most of the blame”!

Someone should tell Mayor Patterson (quoted elsewhere) that his statement “I hope people know in our city you’re still in a safe place” evidently only applies if you hold the ‘correct’ set of beliefs. In the meanwhile, apparently Athens is the Berkeley (CA) of Ohio, and peaceful people with differing viewpoints should take notice.

Finally, Walk participants don’t encourage firearm carry – we support the idea that law abiding people should have a choice of where and whether or not to do so.

If the editor dares, I invite him to share the web address of the Walk event page, where we continue to encourage participation in civil dialogue.

Got Freedom?

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

BB62 wrote:The **editor** of the Athens News has taken bigotry and prejudice to a whole new level while "commenting" (LOL) on the Ohio University Walk:

http://www.athensnews.com/opinion/weari ... b87bf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Individuals who've participated in prior Walks I've organized will immediately recognize numerous questionable characterizations, among many other things. Other people, well, haters gonna hate.

Walk link: https://www.facebook.com/events/108698543003938" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What open-carry walkers hoped to prove remains a mystery

A group of openly armed gun-rights activists invaded the International Street Fair in uptown Athens on Saturday. Or perhaps “invaded” is overstating the situation.

The several openly armed men – two or three middle-aged or older wearing polo shirts and khaki shorts or jeans and a couple of younger men – strolled down Court Street amid the various international booths and attending crowds. Their grand entrance mainly elicited indifference from international and domestic students alike, as well as from the many Athens area residents who attended the popular annual Street Fair.

The gun activists were carrying pistols and rifles. Here, I’m going to save you from a precise identification of the firearms they were carrying. I don’t know and don’t care, and am guessing you don’t either.

To put it ultra-mildly, this was a case of the actual event not living up to the pre-event hype and alarm. When word spread Friday night and Saturday morning that an “Open-Carry Firearm Education Walk” had been planned to coincide with the Street Fair on Saturday, social media caught fire, with a chorus of local voices condemning the plans and their poor timing. ...
He states basically there was no reason to be alarmed and yet still questions a possible goal of the walk. :roll:
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Face it. Your communication skills aren't the best and you tick off many times more people than you "dialog" with.

Now you are here, posting to a group you dislike and shunned before the event, about your poor reception after the event.
I would suggest a change of tactics, if you were a person open to such things.
Scaring people isn't the answer

Just my opinion
Carry on
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Chuck wrote:Face it. Your communication skills aren't the best and you tick off any times more people than you "dialog" with.

Now you are here, posting to a group you dislike and shunned before the event, about your poor reception after the event.

Just my opinion
Carry on
Interesting opinion, what makest thou sayest thatest?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

For example, small group on campus with long guns and no signs or flags expects normal sheeple to just walk up to them and ask what's going on?
A little advertising that something other than a massacre is going on would invite more interaction in my opinion
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Understood.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
westsidebestside

Post by westsidebestside »

Chuck wrote:For example, small group on campus with long guns and no signs or flags expects normal sheeple to just walk up to them and ask what's going on?
A little advertising that something other than a massacre is going on would invite more interaction in my opinion
Disregarding the "boots on the ground", the local 2A groups, is an error made not only by this gentleman, but an unfortunately too common "we know better" attitude shared by more than a few among us. If the locals say "bad idea on the event and the timing", one might consider giving that a LOT of weight. Otherwise, it could be construed as being a "well I know better" moment.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

westsidebestside wrote:Disregarding the "boots on the ground", the local 2A groups, is an error made not only by this gentleman, but an unfortunately too common "we know better" attitude shared by more than a few among us. If the locals say "bad idea on the event and the timing", one might consider giving that a LOT of weight. Otherwise, it could be construed as being a "well I know better" moment.
Can someone please provide me with a translation so I can understand this? :lol:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Chuck wrote:Face it. Your communication skills aren't the best and you tick off many times more people than you "dialog" with.

Just my opinion
Carry on
LOL

<Personal attack deleted--m380g>

Got Freedom?

BB62

My letter to the editor

Post by BB62 »

The other day the editor of the Athens News penned a commentary about the Ohio University Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk, which took place last Saturday. Perhaps “commentary” is too generous a word for an 850+ word diatribe filled with bigotry, prejudice, and inaccuracies.

I was the organizer of the Walk, the ninth such Walk I’ve organized at public universities in Ohio and Kentucky. The original and continuing reason for the peaceful Walks is to advocate for concealed carry on campus, as well as to encourage dialogue (direct and indirect) on the related subjects of firearm rights and privileges. Walk participants look forward to others engaging us in conversation on such subjects.

Among other things, the editor’s screed deftly failed to mention the fact that the OUPD, APD, and the media were given more than a week’s notice of the Walk, including descriptive information, a history of the Walks, and a link to the Facebook event page – where civil dialogue was accepted and encouraged. However, when the media and OU’s administration chose not to share the fact that a Walk was to take place, along with background information, what could have been expected initially other than unfounded “conjecture and speculation”?

Unfortunately, the choice to leave people in the dark, and the refusal of many to assess the totality of the event page (once found) with its links to prior Walks and associated videos, led to frantic discussions by Fair organizers about whether or not to go forward with the Fair.

The editor also failed to mention that, as the event page clearly stated, our initial presence at the Street Fair was merely a waypoint for our tour around campus. We later returned, sans longarms, to sample food, continue to engage in dialogue, and have pictures taken with interested people.

I could go on and on, but the editor’s most outrageous statement was his assertion that if “OU’s more aggressive student activists” had been present and “an ugly or violent clash” took place, the Walkers “would have deserved most of the blame”!

Someone should tell Mayor Patterson (quoted elsewhere) that his statement “I hope people know in our city you’re still in a safe place” evidently only applies if you hold the ‘correct’ set of beliefs. In the meanwhile, apparently Athens is the Berkeley (CA) of Ohio, and peaceful people with differing viewpoints should take notice.

Finally, Walk participants don’t encourage firearm carry – we support the idea that law abiding people should have a choice of where and whether or not to do so.

If the editor dares, I invite him to share the web address of the Walk event page, where we continue to encourage participation in civil dialogue.

Got Freedom?

HancockCountyHAl

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

What open-carry walkers hoped to prove remains a mystery?

"Their grand entrance mainly elicited indifference from international and domestic students alike."

Maybe the author answered his/her own question.
HancockCountyHaL
BB62

Post by BB62 »

HancockCountyHAl wrote:What open-carry walkers hoped to prove remains a mystery?

"Their grand entrance mainly elicited indifference from international and domestic students alike."

Maybe the author answered his/her own question.
Yes, when the editor's piece is read carefully, it's full of contradictions (and other things).

Got Freedom?