Do you have a screw loose?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Do you have a screw loose?

Post by Brian D. »

...if it uses screws/bolts/nuts of any kind, they will, sooner or later, loosen up a bit. Even if you glue/epoxy them in place. Better to check from time to time, rather than have a piece of the hardware fall out and land in a storm drain or wherever. Today while out and about I noticed that the retention adjustment screw had started backing out, and the gun wasn't secured all that well. Had to go back to my vehicle for an Allen wrench, and a tube of thread lock. Vehicle was NOT nearby, Oh well, at least it wasn't raining right then.

No doubt I've given this tip before, sorry if it's a rerun.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Check your holster occasionally...

Post by TSiWRX »

Always worth revisiting.

Always a good tip.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Great advice! Just this weekend I had to reapply thread locker to the belt clip screws on my EDC.

Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Brian D. wrote:...if it uses screws/bolts/nuts of any kind, they will, sooner or later, loosen up a bit. Even if you glue/epoxy them in place. Better to check from time to time, rather than have a piece of the hardware fall out and land in a storm drain or wherever. Today while out and about I noticed that the retention adjustment screw had started backing out, and the gun wasn't secured all that well. Had to go back to my vehicle for an Allen wrench, and a tube of thread lock. Vehicle was NOT nearby, Oh well, at least it wasn't raining right then.

No doubt I've given this tip before, sorry if it's a rerun.
IT's a good tip to see....Wearing Serpa everyday with out fail I check it a couple times a month and even use air pressure can on it...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

HAd a screw come loose on my gun belt once..
pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pk47 »

Great tip, and well worth the reminder.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

I have an old Don Hume for 4"-ish 1911's. Sort of a front break in that the draw only requires about a half-inch of lifting before the gun will clear the holster if it's "my" choice. A top mounted thumb break holds the gun in place pretty well if you're not wrestling on the floor.

One evening, as I was disarming before getting ready for bed, I noticed that the gun's safety was OFF. Figured that was kind of odd. Taking a bit more care, I saw nothing for a week or so, and then noticed it again! Hoohah.... Elves? Evil Spirits? I quit drinking in 1963 - maybe I should start again? Maybe I did but forgot about it?

Turns out that the snap the holds the thumb break somehow got clear of the lower ply of the two-ply leather used in the strap. Move around a bit and it quietly unsnaps. The break eventually manages to switch the safety to Fire.... I have to give that to a neighbor (he's a "shoemaker") to fix one of these days. Meantime, it''s on the shelf. (You know I have spares :D .)

WTH, it's only been seven months or so....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

I've had a few screws come loose in my life, one of which has resulted in my impending thrashing on the golf course tomorrow by our pal Carmen. "Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill".
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

OldManTod wrote:I've had a few screws come loose in my life, one of which has resulted in my impending thrashing on the golf course tomorrow by our pal Carmen. "Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill".
TReachery ? Your're putting the pressure on me.. :evil:
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

OldManTod wrote:I've had a few screws come loose in my life, one of which has resulted in my impending thrashing on the golf course tomorrow by our pal Carmen. "Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill".
My one regret about this thread is that I didn't title it "Do you have a screw loose?" :lol: Too late now, unless a moderator/coordinator has nothing better to do with their time then edit it for me...

********************************************************************************
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Brian D. wrote:...unless a moderator/coordinator has nothing better to do with their time then edit it for me...
Done.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Brian D.

Re: Do you have a screw loose?

Post by Brian D. »

Thanks NC. In addition to holsters etc. this message applies to the firearms themselves, if they have screws.

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Brian D. wrote:Thanks NC. In addition to holsters etc. this message applies to the firearms themselves, if they have screws.
*ANY* screws/bolts/nuts. Anything that can come undone, probably will come undone. Even with thread-locking material.

Apply threadlocker.
Torque-to-spec.
Paint-pen.
Check regularly.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
HancockCountyHAl

Post by HancockCountyHAl »

Great advice, I just got a screwdriver and checked mine. Not anything more embarrassing than having a pistol fall out of a shoulder holster in public. On the bright side, I doubt if any forum members here carry guns that go off when dropped.
HancockCountyHaL