Action on SB199 including parking lot carry

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Action on SB199 including parking lot carry

Post by schmieg »

Brian D. wrote:
scorchedtrumpet wrote:So I pull into the parking lot at work on my motorcycle. due to SB199 I am now allowed to keep my pistol locked in my vehicle while at work, but I can not carry it while on the property of my employer. Am I violating state law when I get off my motorcycle, disarm, and secure my pistol in the lock box in my locking saddle bag? Technically I am standing on my employers property. Securing my firearm in the lock box in the saddle bag while actually sitting on my motorcycle is not possible. I know what I am going to do, just want to know what the law states, but can not find it specifically stated.
The wording is a goat rope, full of gray area like this so that lawyers not currently serving terms in the Ohio Statehouse can make money working "both sides of the street", in my jaded opinion.
I think you're giving the legislators too much credit for thinking ahead.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I'm just glad I don't have to worry about this kinda stuff.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

pirateguy191 wrote:I'm just glad I don't have to worry about this kinda stuff.
Me neither. For my own self, anyway. But I'm sure people who have heard about the new law and how wonderful it is have come to you with questions, it happens to me plenty. Bugs me having to spend time telling them what the law ACTUALLY allows rather than what the media says it does. And any grassroots groups spokespeople who are crowing to that media about what a great change this is need to smacked upside the head.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

That would be the NRA-ILA, the O.G.A., Gov. Kasich, Buckeye Firearms Org., OFCC.ORG. and me. lol
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

curmudgeon3 wrote:That would be the NRA-ILA, the O.G.A., Gov. Kasich, Buckeye Firearms Org., OFCC.ORG. and me. lol
Brian D. wrote: And any grassroots groups spokespeople who are crowing to that media about what a great change this is need to smacked upside the head.
OFCC is not crowing about the amazing wonders of the parking lot carry issue. We've had people at the statehouse for the past two days trying to fix what NRA and BFA messed up.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Great news! ^^ Hopefully a fix something SIMPLE like, firearms items should not be left in plain view, and vehicle to be locked where possible (motorcycle).

A fix. Singular. Or minimalist. Easy. Kinda un-lawyer like eh?
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Mustang380gal wrote:
curmudgeon3 wrote:That would be the NRA-ILA, the O.G.A., Gov. Kasich, Buckeye Firearms Org., OFCC.ORG. and me. lol
Brian D. wrote: And any grassroots groups spokespeople who are crowing to that media about what a great change this is need to smacked upside the head.
OFCC is not crowing about the amazing wonders of the parking lot carry issue. We've had people at the statehouse for the past two days trying to fix what NRA and BFA messed up.
Yeah I know who's who and what's up here. Joe Eaton at BFA is a longtime friend of mine and I'm thinking about giving him one of those "Special Agent Gibbs" slaps on the top of his noggin; as a spokesperson he's putting a more positive spin on SB 199 than it deserves, via local talk radio.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Brian D. wrote:
Mustang380gal wrote:
Yeah I know who's who and what's up here. Joe Eaton at BFA is a longtime friend of mine and I'm thinking about giving him one of those "Special Agent Gibbs" slaps on the top of his noggin; as a spokesperson he's putting a more positive spin on SB 199 than it deserves, via local talk radio.
BFA seems to have a personal (if an organization can be personal) relationship to each bill it supports and tends to fight tooth and nail to prevent changes, even if the changes eliminate problems or make the bill better. I don't know whether that's because the NRA sometimes feeds them the bill or whether the attorneys over there have big egos.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Mustang380gal wrote:
Great team right there; they can all collect kudos for Ohio being one of the leaders in supporting the individuals' RKBA.
scorchedtrumpet
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by scorchedtrumpet »

This same problem arises while traveling through Illinois. I can legally carry while traveling through the state, but if I stop for gas I can not get off my bike. Now I am able to pump gas and sit on my bike, but what if I can't reach the area to slide my card through? In my opinion, regardless of what vehicle you are operating, there should be a boundary layer around the vehicle where you are safe to carry. Make it small, say 3 feet in any direction.
JonasM

Post by JonasM »

^ Far too sensible to ever make it into law.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Deleted.
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

Look, if it was possible to get it right the first time we would pass something simple that everyone could understand. Something like "The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Then we would not need parking lot carry, national reciprocity or any of these other laws which get miss interpreted. SB199 is not ideal but is is an improvement. The HR Department where I work has retreated to banning firearms in the building. They have basically come out and said that in addition to the CCW firearms covered by the law as long at it is in a case and locked in your car trap guns, hunting guns ect. will also be allowed in the parking lot. They would NEVER have conceded this without SB199.
junglebob

Post by junglebob »

Scorchedtrumpet, Sorry about the problem you have coming to Illinois with your bike. We have a parking lot exemption to no-carry areas in Illinois that says you can exit your vehicle and walk in the vicinity of your vehicle to put a handgun in your trunk. Maybe Illinois will come up with something like that for motorcycles, or better yet reciprocity for other states, at least for those with similar requirements. Illinois requires 16 hours of training, 8 hours of range instruction. There is legislation to reduce that so maybe sometime Ohio CCLs will be recognized, unfortunately our Attorney General is not pro-carry.
Disarming the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them. George Mason
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Has HB199 changed anything about a property owner posting NO GUNS on the entire parking lot of a shopping center, mall, or any parking area that is not under cover or in a building? I still see these signs occasionally.