CCW denied after 2nd renewal

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

boomer1833

CCW denied after 2nd renewal

Post by boomer1833 »

In 1999 I was convicted of a 5th degree felony for theft, total value 550.00. Which I found out that in today's society would not be a felony charge. I had just turned 18 years old. I successfully completed my probation and enlisted in the US Marine Corps. I completed a 4 year enlistment with 2 combat deployments to Iraq. Honorable discharge... Since 2005 I have purchased firearms through dealers and have had a CCW permit for the the last 9 years. I went to renew my permit last week and was told that it could not be renewed due to this felony conviction. In all honesty I had forgot about it because it never affected me until last week. What are my options to get my firearm rights back and how would I go about doing so. Thanks
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: CCW denied after 2nd renewal

Post by JustaShooter »

As I understand it, a 5th degree felony in Ohio would not strip you of your firearms rights from a federal perspective. Federal law doesn't use the term felony, but specifies crimes that are punishable by more than one year in prison. Since an Ohio F5 is punishable by *up to* a year, it doesn't trigger the federal prohibition which is why you've been able to purchase firearms legally.

It does, however, prohibit you from getting a CHL as you've found out. You need to get your record sealed - I don't know much about that process but it isn't all that expensive, and as I've read here is something you can do yourself pretty easily. I'll let others fill in those details for you.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: CCW denied after 2nd renewal

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Contact the Clerk of Courts in the jurisdiction where the felony was prosecuted. Ask them if they have a form or process for sealing a criminal record.

If they do not, you may have to contact (and pay for) a lawyer to assist you.
MyWifeSaidYes