State Parks with ATV Trails

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
EdK

State Parks with ATV Trails

Post by EdK »

Having just purchased a side-by-side ATV, I was checking out various State owned ATV trails. While reading through the rules and regulations, I came across a restriction for guns stating they must be "unloaded and securly encased."
I thought we are OK on State property as long as we stay out of buildings other than restrooms.
EdK
Words to live by: Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: State Parks with ATV Trails

Post by schmieg »

EdK wrote:Having just purchased a side-by-side ATV, I was checking out various State owned ATV trails. While reading through the rules and regulations, I came across a restriction for guns stating they must be "unloaded and securly encased."
I thought we are OK on State property as long as we stay out of buildings other than restrooms.
You are, unless you are in an ATV. Whether this regulation will survive a court challenge is unknown.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

What happens if the ATV is licensed for roads, turn signals lights etc.?
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

We've had this conundrum since 2004 when CH licensing first passed, correct? Maybe we take a big bucket of money to Columbus the pols can fix it for us.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Face

Post by Face »

WhyNot wrote:What happens if the ATV is licensed for roads, turn signals lights etc.?
They must be "off road" licensed for state (and maybe) Federal trails as well.

FWIW - no state parks have ATV trails , that I know of, they are all State Forests.
Totally useless, waste of space, irrelevant, sig.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

schmieg wrote:You are, unless you are in an ATV. Whether this regulation will survive a court challenge is unknown.
Oh it will easily survive. It's merely restating state law which specifies that carrying a loaded firearm on a variety of special vehicles is an unclassified misdemeanor with no exception for anybody (law enforcement, CHL, land owner, etc). I've pointed this out here and to pols but nobody seems to care. Since I neither own nor desire to own one of these vehicles I gave up caring too :) ORC 4519.40
BB62

Post by BB62 »

djthomas wrote:
schmieg wrote:You are, unless you are in an ATV. Whether this regulation will survive a court challenge is unknown.
Oh it will easily survive. It's merely restating state law which specifies that carrying a loaded firearm on a variety of special vehicles is an unclassified misdemeanor with no exception for anybody (law enforcement, CHL, land owner, etc). I've pointed this out here and to pols but nobody seems to care. Since I neither own nor desire to own one of these vehicles I gave up caring too :) ORC 4519.40
Thanks for the ORC link, but I have to ask "How so, unless one is hunting?"

"(5) While transporting any firearm, bow, or other implement for hunting, that is not unloaded and securely encased;"
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

BB62 wrote:
djthomas wrote:
Thanks for the ORC link, but I have to ask "How so, unless one is hunting?"

"(5) While transporting any firearm, bow, or other implement for hunting, that is not unloaded and securely encased;"

Thats exactly what I was thinking when I read it. Implement of hunting is not what I carry on my hip for protection.
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

Hunting with handguns is legal in Ohio. What you carry on your hip is legal for hunting coyotes 24/7 except maybe during deer gun season.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
tracker 6

Post by tracker 6 »

Suckerspawn wrote:Hunting with handguns is legal in Ohio. What you carry on your hip is legal for hunting coyotes 24/7 except maybe during deer gun season.
Unless you are carrying concealed. :roll:
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

As mentioned earlier, no state parks with ATV trails but some state and national forests. Pike State Forest (25mi SE of Hillsboro) has an ATV trail but I believe ATV width is limited to 48" or so. IOW, no side-by-sides.

Wayne National Forest has several ATV trails in southern and SE Ohio. I do not know what the width limitations are.