Car carry after a beer.

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Tonik

Car carry after a beer.

Post by Tonik »

I swear, I searched a lot here first before asking what has probably already been asked.

So, tomorrow I can finally store my weapon in my car at work. I work at a school. Which raises the question, what happens if I go out for a beer after work with someone? Is unloaded in a case in the back of the vehicle ok? What if I have an SUV and no trunk? How should the mag be unloaded...ammo in a separate case?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Car carry after a beer.

Post by JustaShooter »

I'm not sure there is a definitive answer other than to not have the gun in the vehicle at all, or skipping the beer if you do. If it were me and I found myself unable or unwilling to abide by those restrictions, I would unload and transport as if I did not have a CHL. That means empty gun in a case and loaded mags in a separate enclosure (and I'd be tempted to unload the mags just to give an officer more ability to use discretion...). If vehicle has a trunk, that's where I'd put everything. If not, then if possible in a location that would require stopping the vehicle for the driver to access - all the way in the back of the SUV, etc.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Tonik wrote:I swear, I searched a lot here first before asking what has probably already been asked.

So, tomorrow I can finally store my weapon in my car at work. I work at a school. Which raises the question, what happens if I go out for a beer after work with someone? Is unloaded in a case in the back of the vehicle ok? What if I have an SUV and no trunk? How should the mag be unloaded...ammo in a separate case?
Since you have a CHL, the prohibition against having a loaded gun in your car applies if you are under the influence. For the sake of argument I'll assume (1) having a single beer won't have that significant of an effect on you, and (2) you'll really just have 1 beer. In this case, you can store the firearm as you normally would.

Of course there's a difference between actually being under the influence, and what an arresting officer states in his report. If you want to be safe, then you should transport the firearm the same way you would if you didn't have your CHL. Unloaded, and stored so it isn't accessible without leaving the vehicle or in a closed package, box, or case. Note that unloaded will mean the loaded magazine is not in the gun and both the gun and magazine are stored in separate enclosures, as identified in 2923.16(K)(5)
Tonik

Post by Tonik »

I am fine with that, this will be a very rare occurrence and I would be more than happy to unload and lock it in a case. I'll grab two cases, one for the weapon and one for the unloaded mag.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

None of those 32oz. beers either... :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by AzRanger »

It's more important to me to have and keep my CCL than to have a beer after work. I would avoid drinking with a gun in my car even if it was just ONE beer. Why take the chance?
God made man, Colt made them equal
Tonik

Post by Tonik »

AzRanger wrote:It's more important to me to have and keep my CCL than to have a beer after work. I would avoid drinking with a gun in my car even if it was just ONE beer. Why take the chance?
Valid point, and I had that realization as I was driving to work today on my own. If I have my gun, I am simply not going to drink. I really appreciate all of you talking me through this.
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

I've found it easier and cheaper to use the fact that I am carrying as an excuse to not drink. Even going out with friends, I just generally don't drink. They know I carry and that's my reasoning. I just tell the bartender/waiter that I'm the DD (which I usually am) and no further questions arise. Everyone's happy.

In the rare occasion I do have a drink and I'm packing, I leave the gun in the car, usually loaded. Have my beer and wait plenty of time to process it (usually an entire meal, so an hour), and then re-holster it and drive on.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I eat out a lot.......which means I have saved a lot of money by not ordering wine or drinks with dinner.....unless of course I'm on a Winery excursion for the whole day in wine country...
Roller
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Roller »

It is simple; If you are going to drink, even one drink of alcohol of any kind, then no gun. If you are going to carry your firearm, then no alcohol of any kind. Simple, concise and easy to remember. Why is it so important to have a beer after work?
Stay safe; Check 360
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Roller wrote:It is simple; If you are going to drink, even one drink of alcohol of any kind, then no gun. If you are going to carry your firearm, then no alcohol of any kind. Simple, concise and easy to remember. Why is it so important to have a beer after work?
Why not?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I see one beer as no different than one coke. Start adding up as more than one or two, and in my opinion both can de dangerous.

Sometimes I just feel a Sam Adams is betterbtasting than water or diet coke.

I'm probably in the minority that says one beer I wouldn't do anything different. Two I would unload. Three or more and I wouldn't even be driving so the firearm isn't even in the equation.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

AGainst the law is against the law...

ONe beer one joint, both against the law while carrying.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

carmen fovozzo wrote:AGainst the law is against the law...

I understand you can't drink whilst armed, but what about armed after one beer? As in, gun stays in car when I hit the pub, I come out after a burnt burger, greasy fries and a Hamm's beer. I should be able to strap up and drive home after that.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:AGainst the law is against the law...

Come on over for some good bourbon Friday evening Carmen.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB