New Member from Cuyahoga County Here

Ohioans For Concealed Carry seeks to be a welcoming and friendly community of gun owners. If you've just created your account or just became a member online please take a moment to introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Lwestley916

New Member from Cuyahoga County Here

Post by Lwestley916 »

Hey all,

My name is LaShawn i'm a 30 year old female living in Cuyahoga County and I'm just now taking up an interest in CCW. My husband has been carrying for about 10 years now and I've always felt the protection until I was out by myself the other night. I went to the liquor store to pick up a friend from work when an unknown male approached my Escalade. My car was running, and I was sitting in it on the phone, he may not have seen me right away due to my tinted windows. He walked up and started pulling rapidly on my door handle like it was going to magically open, Right then I feared for my life. What if he had a gun, what if he was going to kidnap me, what if he was going to hurt my 2 small children in the backseat, they are in carseats, I can't get them quickly.... so many thoughts raced through my head. It was right then that I decided I would not be a victim. I started beeping my horn, and he ran off. The next day I took a CCW course (friday) By Monday I had applied for my license. I am still waiting but that's okay. I will wait, Now i'm going to take some self defense courses so my only option will not be deadly force. But I would honestly say had it not been for common sense and locking my doors, this story could have been completely different. Thank you for reading.
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: New Member from Cuyahoga County Here

Post by dl1911 »

Welcome! Glad everything worked out.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Welcome!
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Welcome to OFCC!

And congratulations on making that first important step towards taking responsibility for your personal protection and safety. We all had that moment we realized the world was a dangerous place and we needed to be more proactive in our self protection, though perhaps most of us didn't have an experience quite like yours. I'm glad it turned out OK, and that you used that experience to motivate yourself.

There is a tremendous amount of information and wisdom here, and I hope you find it valuable. We do try to filter out misinformation where we can, but as with any resource (especially on the internet) you will have to do your own sifting of the wheat from the chaff. And of course there will always be personalities and differences of opinion. some voiced forcefully - but we really are a good group of people and I hope you feel welcome here.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Welcome to OFCC.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Welcome LaShawn.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

Lwestley916 wrote:I decided I would not be a victim.
Welcome! Just remember, owning and carrying a gun does not make you invincible. It is merely a "if all else fails" tool. Be safe, be vigilant, practice often, and carry everywhere you legally can.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Tourist »

Welcome to the forum.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Welcome. :)

Look up "Southnarc" - the screen-name for Craig Douglas. Read through his background, and understand why you (and we all) should heed his advice.

One of his pet-peeves?

The stationary vehicle. Ignition off. https://homeguntraining.files.wordpress ... ntacts.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That your ignition was on was a good - great - thing. Remember that any deadly-force will have its consequences. I'd much rather just back the car out of there (or, even better, just to throw it in drive and gotten out of there, having backed into the space and "nosed out" the vehicle) and get away. Remove yourself and your loved ones from the threat. And remember, under the law, we are required to do so, if at all possible. (And besides that - let's say that you've got a gun and the aggressor has a gun, too. Great, you guys exchange fire. How well does that play out for your children in the back? :wink: )

That screen/call is temping to every single one of us. Task-fixation is very problematic, and is something that I am always trying not to run afoul of, myself. Even if you had a gun at the time, remember that you're coming from the defensive: you are reacting to the action of the aggressor. You're always going to be on the lower part of the power curve. Locking your vehicle doors and making sure the windows are up are definitely very smart things you've done, and are practices you should continue.

Having a gun - a good defensive tool - is only one component of the equation.

Much more than having access to this tool and knowing how to use it (there are many considerations for accessing a defensive firearm while seated [and potentially belted] in your vehicle, and even more in terms of the safe discharge and effective use of that firearm in those confines) is having that defensive mindset, and a large part of that is having good situational awareness, particularly in public/"transitional" spaces.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

Welcome!
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pk47 »

Welcome. Glad you are ok, you learned a lot (act on the desire to protect yourself), and you are taking the right steps.

It's smart to protect yourself living in Cuyahoga county (I also live there).
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

pk47 wrote: It's smart to protect yourself living in Cuyahoga county (I also live there).
It's smart to protect oneself living *anywhere.*
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Looks like the welcomes have subsided a bit, but same here, hope you find our forums informative and helpful.

Looks like you recently placed an order for wallet cards and brochures using that name?.....(I was the one who filled that order) :) . That material is on it's way, if you don't have it by now.

I'm sure someone before me has already mentioned it, but don't be a stranger. All are welcome to get involved in the discussions.

Since you have joined our forums, if you like what you see here and would like to support our organization, (OFCC), please consider joining OFCC as a Patron member.

The more members , the stronger we are as an organization !

Again, thanks for joining our forums.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Welcome LaShawn!