Malls, theaters etc.

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Grumpyolddog

Malls, theaters etc.

Post by Grumpyolddog »

I've read everything I could find online and even a few YouTube videos and can't find a definitive answer. Do the signs prohibiting carry in malls,theaters, restaurants etc. carry the weight of law? Can you be prosecuted if discovered or just asked to leave the premises. Thanks for any help.
pirateguy191

Re: Malls, theaters etc.

Post by pirateguy191 »

Yes they do. That was easy. Look up criminal trespass.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

What pirateguy191 said. Start with ORC 2923.126 (C) (3) (a) and go from there.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
robbo

Post by robbo »

If we dont carry in public places, then we are just fish in a bowl.
#1 places shootings/terrorist acts occur = malls and schools Protect yourself and your family. Whos going to know your carrying?
LEO in my jurisdiction said all they will do is ask that you leave, if you fail to do so, or put up resistance to leave then you will be criminal trespassing.
Im not sure if the wording is incorrect on the webpage, but heres how the LEO explained and it is written in another webpage... and/or being the key words
Knowingly enter in and/or remain on another person’s property, land, or premises

True or not, I dont know, I dont advertise Im carrying so noone will ever know.

I am not promoting carrying in places marked as no gun zones.
sirbutchford

Post by sirbutchford »

Subscribed to this post.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

robbo wrote:If we dont carry in public places, then we are just fish in a bowl.
#1 places shootings/terrorist acts occur = malls and schools Protect yourself and your family. Whos going to know your carrying?
LEO in my jurisdiction said all they will do is ask that you leave, if you fail to do so, or put up resistance to leave then you will be criminal trespassing.
Im not sure if the wording is incorrect on the webpage, but heres how the LEO explained and it is written in another webpage... and/or being the key words
Knowingly enter in and/or remain on another person’s property, land, or premises

True or not, I dont know, I dont advertise Im carrying so noone will ever know.

I am not promoting carrying in places marked as no gun zones.
That may be how some LEO are handling the situation, but it is a violation to knowingly enter while armed property where the owner prohibits firearms. While it may be difficult to prove that you knowingly did so, it is not necessarily impossible. All you need is an anti-minded LEO and/or a vehemently anti-minded, well connected property owner and you will be paying for a criminal defense.

Don't forget that you also have to leave if someone in "apparent" authority at the location asks you to leave whether LEO are there or not.

None of this applies to statutory CPZ's where mere entry can be a felony, whether knowingly or not.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Jim-in-Toledo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Jim-in-Toledo »

2911.21 Criminal trespass.

(A) No person, without privilege to do so, shall do any of the following:

(1) Knowingly enter or remain on the land or premises of another;

(2) Knowingly enter or remain on the land or premises of another, the use of which is lawfully restricted to certain persons, purposes, modes, or hours, when the offender knows the offender is in violation of any such restriction or is reckless in that regard;

(3) Recklessly enter or remain on the land or premises of another, as to which notice against unauthorized access or presence is given by actual communication to the offender, or in a manner prescribed by law, or by posting in a manner reasonably calculated to come to the attention of potential intruders, or by fencing or other enclosure manifestly designed to restrict access;

(4) Being on the land or premises of another, negligently fail or refuse to leave upon being notified by signage posted in a conspicuous place or otherwise being notified to do so by the owner or occupant, or the agent or servant of either.
Here are a few things I noted in reading through http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2911.21

"Recklessly" does not equal "Knowingly".

"reasonably calculated" by whom? Judge? Jury?

Also, "negligently" does not equal "Knowingly".

What is a "conspicuous place", and who will determine it? Judge? Jury?

And then, does "owner or occupant, or the agent or servant of either", include the guy mopping the bathroom? Or the bag-boy?
Doesn't look like it has to be a manager or anyone in a supervisory position to me.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
I am the expert on my opinion.
And no one else's.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

It's all very vague but as I tell my students, "as long you know the rules, you can play the game". Just be ready for any consequences that may occur.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

FWIW Most Malls have multiple entrances. Yes, the "main" entrances are posted...but usually if you enter through Macy's or some similar store...their doors aren't posted. Just sayin how it is where I move about :D
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

glocksmith wrote:FWIW Most Malls have multiple entrances. Yes, the "main" entrances are posted...but usually if you enter through Macy's or some similar store...their doors aren't posted. Just sayin how it is where I move about :D
BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) :) This works.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
robbo

Post by robbo »

glocksmith wrote:FWIW Most Malls have multiple entrances. Yes, the "main" entrances are posted...but usually if you enter through Macy's or some similar store...their doors aren't posted. Just sayin how it is where I move about :D
Agreed
crunchy_in_milk

Post by crunchy_in_milk »

The theater in Adrian Michigan isn't posted so I make the effort to go once in awhile.
Klassen

Post by Klassen »

I think it's stupid that you're not allowed to carry in malls. That's one place where responsible gun carriers are needed the most.
You can get quick results with Proextender so check it out.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Ohio-centric question:

How many prosecutions have there been for this "criminal trespassing"?

Is anyone aware of any, in all the years Ohio has had the CPZ sign?

Seems to me if a CHL holder was asked to leave and refused, to the point of trial and the whole nine yards, this forum would have chronicled each moment. (Perhaps I just missed it.)

That said, if a law either isn't being enforced, or is having no impact on lawbreakers...
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

There were one or two chronicled here in early years of the forum. They refused to leave or disarm, then argued with the gendarmes when they showed up. I don't like trusting to memory but at least one was convicted of trespass if not worse.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.