Carrying at work

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Carrying at work

Post by schmieg »

WY_Not wrote:We all make choices. No one is forced to work at a particular place or for a particular company.
Some work where they choose; some where they can.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Thanlon23

Post by Thanlon23 »

Here's how I look at it:

Your employer has every right to set the rules for employment. If they don't want you armed, that's their right and it's your right to accept it or to quit.

If your employer doesn't have any signage and it's not against the rules in the employee handbook it would still be a good idea to ask your employer because they can still fire you for it in the state of Ohio.

You may not care about losing your current job, however you'll have to explain to future potential employers why you were terminated.
westsidebestside

Post by westsidebestside »

schmieg wrote:
WY_Not wrote:We all make choices. No one is forced to work at a particular place or for a particular company.
Some work where they choose; some where they can.
In the short term. In the long term, people work where they can because they've made choices to not allow themselves to work where they choose.
roughsawn

Post by roughsawn »

I guess I'm one of the odd ones here. I've broken all of tweed's rules (although it is very sound advice for the corporate world).
I have a desk and also do a lot of field work that takes me into bad areas of town. Every morning I get to the office and toss my gun, keys, and phone on my desk before getting the coffee going. No one cares. The owner of my current company does the same.
The job I had prior to this one did not allow guns in the office or when on company time, but ok to leave in the car. I was tasked with going to da hoods of Detroit to bid on some houses. Told my supervisor I'm carrying my gun or count me out. He said he would too.... all good. It was against company policy, but he didn't care and no one else was willing to go up there.

The employer I had before that, I approached the owner about carrying. At the time, I was going to some really bad areas (was carrying anyway) and he told me his lawyer advised against it even though I sent him the ORC about not getting sued for allowing it. I quit shortly there after.

I look at it this way. If I'm dead, I certainly cannot provide my family with a roof and food.

I'm not willing to sacrifice my safety over some corporate policy.

If they can't agree to my terms when it comes to this, I'll go somewhere else.
Working on a Sig line. So far, I have a P250, a 938, and an Ultra!

http://myreloadingbench.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Everyone's situation is different, everyone's priorities are different and everyone's decision is different to match their own unique circumstances. I view Tweed's rules as valuable guidance for survival in the corporate world.

I never heard of anyone becoming unemployed for following Tweed's rules. I can't say the reverse is true.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
roughsawn

Post by roughsawn »

WestonDon wrote:Everyone's situation is different, everyone's priorities are different and everyone's decision is different to match their own unique circumstances. I view Tweed's rules as valuable guidance for survival in the corporate world.

I never heard of anyone becoming unemployed for following Tweed's rules. I can't say the reverse is true.
Agreed. Another one of Tweed's words of wisdom is "life is replete with choices".....

I've taken his advice.
Working on a Sig line. So far, I have a P250, a 938, and an Ultra!

http://myreloadingbench.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I teach concealed carry classes in our conference room at work. No worries here.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Tholzap

Post by Tholzap »

I am a medical professional. I work in a local hospital and have my ccw permit. I carry daily but am not allowed to carry on the premises. They do random searches and don't want to jeopardize my job so I keep my weapon in my locked car. I know there was a law revised about an employer cannot tell you that you can't keep your weapon secured in your car. Can anyone give me the specifics of this law? I need some material to show I'm in the right in case anything happens!
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Tholzap wrote:I am a medical professional. I work in a local hospital and have my ccw permit. I carry daily but am not allowed to carry on the premises. They do random searches and don't want to jeopardize my job so I keep my weapon in my locked car. I know there was a law revised about an employer cannot tell you that you can't keep your weapon secured in your car. Can anyone give me the specifics of this law? I need some material to show I'm in the right in case anything happens!
The law prohibits employers from enforcing no gun rules against an employee who is a licensee who has a gun in his car in the parking lot. The gun and all ammunition must be locked in the glovebox, trunk or other container in the vehicle. If your glovebox does not lock or is too small, it would be best to get a locking gun safe that can be kept in the car. Getting out and locking it in the trunk is too obvious. Why do I say this? Because Ohio is an at will state and your employer can fire you anyway. Proving your employer fired you because of the gun in the car is very difficult unless the HR department is very stupid and puts that on the termination papers. More likely, you would be fired for some other reason or no reason at all if the employer doesn't mind paying the unemployment comp.

Here is the relevant portion of the act:
Sec. 2923.1210. (A) A business entity, property owner, or public or private employer may not establish, maintain, or enforce a policy or rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting a person who has been issued a valid concealed handgun license from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition when both of the following conditions are met:
(1) Each firearm and all of the ammunition remains inside the person's privately owned motor vehicle while the person is physically present inside the motor vehicle, or each firearm and all of the ammunition is locked within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or container within or on the person's privately owned motor vehicle;
(2) The vehicle is in a location where it is otherwise permitted to be.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Tholzap:

Welcome aboard!

We call it a "CHL" ("Concealed Handgun License") rather than a "CCW"....

Nobody here really cares, but some may be tempted to grab Mike and his tank, and show you how much fun that long gun is. Explaining that to your insurance company might be interesting.... :D

What Mike didn't mention is that the latest version of the law doesn't go into effect until towards the end of March (21st?), and things are a little less stacked in our favor until then. So, please wait until you try to test this....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

SMMAssociates wrote:What Mike didn't mention is that the latest version of the law doesn't go into effect until towards the end of March (21st?),
The 21st is correct.

Tholzap, welcome to OFCC!
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
docachna

Post by docachna »

roughsawn wrote: Another one of Tweed's words of wisdom is "life is replete with choices".....

I've taken his advice.
As I near retirement in about 12 months, and have to continue traveling for my employer, who bars firearms everywhere on the job, I continually have to weigh how I would like to be known: as a guy who is alive, and out of a job because he chose to protect himself ? or as a dead guy who followed orders ?

The choice becomes easier by the day. :wink:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Tholzap

Post by Tholzap »

I love my job. I work in the operating room and it is an absolute blast. I couldn't imagine losing my job as I am a mother of 3 and my father lives with us. My husband has an awesome job but I couldn't imagine not working.
Our hospital is ran by a bunch of liberals who say your best protection is a pen. That's right, a pen. To shove in someone's jugular when they have a gun in your face. Nope. You're gonna catch my butt running right out of there. I just don't get how they think it's ok to not be able to protect yourself. I tried to explain to them that people that are lawfully minded gun toting citizens and employees are not the problem. But our head of security says I would be more of a threat if I carried a weapon inside the facility. I just don't understand their logic at all.
Also about the law that goes in effect 3.21.17 is your vehicle considered a "locked container" or do you have to have it in something else locked?