CCW license

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

tenndoug

CCW license

Post by tenndoug »

I went through CCW training when the legislation was first passed here in Ohio and got my CCW but because of reciprocity limitations at the time I also got a Florida CCW. After several years I let my Ohio license lapse. With the changes in Ohio law concerning gun purchases by CCW holders I want to acquire my Ohio CCW again. I let my Florida CCW lapse in July and I'm not sure how to begin or what is required to get another CCW in Ohio.
pirateguy191

Re: CCW license

Post by pirateguy191 »

tenndoug wrote:I went through CCW training when the legislation was first passed here in Ohio and got my CCW but because of reciprocity limitations at the time I also got a Florida CCW. After several years I let my Ohio license lapse. With the changes in Ohio law concerning gun purchases by CCW holders I want to acquire my Ohio CCW again. I let my Florida CCW lapse in July and I'm not sure how to begin or what is required to get another CCW in Ohio.
Go to the Ohio Attorney General website and read the handbook. Download the application form and take it, a 2 x 2 photo, your expired license or original certificate and $57.00 to the sheriff's office. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

pirateguy191 wrote:
tenndoug wrote:I went through CCW training when the legislation was first passed here in Ohio and got my CCW but because of reciprocity limitations at the time I also got a Florida CCW. After several years I let my Ohio license lapse. With the changes in Ohio law concerning gun purchases by CCW holders I want to acquire my Ohio CCW again. I let my Florida CCW lapse in July and I'm not sure how to begin or what is required to get another CCW in Ohio.
Go to the Ohio Attorney General website and read the handbook. Download the application form and take it, a 2 x 2 photo, your expired license or original certificate and $57.00 to the sheriff's office. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Original certificate is not required. Expired license is not required. (At least, neither of those are in the list of items a person must submit for renewal in ORC 2923.125). And, the renewal fee is $50 unless you've not been an Ohio resident for the past 5 years.

If the Sheriff tells you that you need anything more than the completed application and the fee, post back here and MyWifeSaidYes can help straighten things out with them.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
tenndoug

Post by tenndoug »

Thank you to all who have replied to my questions. I have downloaded the application and will complete it and take it in. I no longer have my old license but I kept all the paperwork from the course I took. I'm going to check on dates and times they have hours to submit applications and get a passport picture made and go through the process again.

Thanks once again H. D. Smith
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Nothing wrong with posting the correct answers, of course. But given how some sheriffs seem to have their own "facts", we will have to wait and see how it goes for tenndoug.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I meant $50 but got it mixed up with $67 and it came out $57. :(
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

JonasM

Post by JonasM »

pirateguy191 wrote:I meant $50 but got it mixed up with $67 and it came out $57. :(
I'll remember that next time I buy a gun from you. :mrgreen:
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

pirateguy191 wrote:
I don't think anything you told the guy was correct. :roll: :lol:
Black Rifles Matter
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I stand by what I said except for the incorrect fee amount. You may not legally have to take the expired license or original certificate but I would.

tenndoug

Post by tenndoug »

I downloaded the application filled it out and looked up the hours for CCW applicants at the Montgomery co. Sheriff's office. Thursday the 9th I made the trip downtown. Fast, efficient and courteous is the only way to describe it. I was asked if I had my old license and when I said I did not I was told never mind. They proceeded to make a copy of my state drivers license and my training certificate along with 50 dollars and sent me on my way. Hopefully the review process will be just as efficient.

Thanks again HD Smith
tenndoug

Post by tenndoug »

Well exactly two weeks later I got the call to come downtown to pick up my CCW at the Sheriffs Office. A five minute appearance at I was out the door, very efficient.
Thanks to everyone!
Stevenof1

Post by Stevenof1 »

I just moved to Powell, Ohio from Florida. I have a current Florida CCW. Can this be used for Competency Certification? I'm told that with a Florida CCW I'm subject to limitations such as not being able to have a gun in a school zone. Does that apply to traveling through a school zone in a car? In any case I have to wait 45 days before applying for an Ohio CCW. Since I live in Delaware County is it difficult to have the Sheriff sign off on a Full Auto permit (Class III) or whatever it's called? It's my understanding that having a CCW makes it easier and cheaper to renew by only doing the range competency for certification, correct?

IMO- It's much more difficult to get a CCW here in Ohio. The renewal process in Florida requires sending a current passport size photo with the form (no range competency needed) and about $119.00 (that's for 7 Years). Plus, in Florida, businesses and counties or cities cannot ban guns (in parks, etc.) with signage and if they try there are strict repercussions by the State. They've tried it and were smacked down. I remember going to Sanibel Island one day and after crossing the causeway I saw a 'No Guns Permitted on the Island' sign. The sign came down in about three days.
pps_dad

Post by pps_dad »

pirateguy191 wrote:I stand by what I said except for the incorrect fee amount. You may not legally have to take the expired license or original certificate but I would.
You are correct...the law states you have to show proof that at one time you had a license...expired license, etc...
OFCC Member
NRA Member
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

pps_dad wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:I stand by what I said except for the incorrect fee amount. You may not legally have to take the expired license or original certificate but I would.
You are correct...the law states you have to show proof that at one time you had a license...expired license, etc...
Could you point to that requirement in the ORC? Thanks.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Stevenof1 wrote:I just moved to Powell, Ohio from Florida. I have a current Florida CCW. Can this be used for Competency Certification?
No, sorry. You'll need to take a class that meets Ohio's requirements.

Stevenof1 wrote:I'm told that with a Florida CCW I'm subject to limitations such as not being able to have a gun in a school zone. Does that apply to traveling through a school zone in a car?
Yes, it does - though it is pretty unlikely it would ever be an issue for you unless you did something really stupid. Still, best to have a license from the state you reside in regardless.
Stevenof1 wrote:In any case I have to wait 45 days before applying for an Ohio CCW.
Not any more, that requirement was removed a couple of years ago. So you can apply as soon as you've taken your class and have the certificate.
Stevenof1 wrote:Since I live in Delaware County is it difficult to have the Sheriff sign off on a Full Auto permit (Class III) or whatever it's called?
In Ohio you just fill out the same application you do for your concealed handgun license (CHL) and the sheriff is required to sign off on the paperwork if you pass the background check.
Stevenof1 wrote:It's my understanding that having a CCW makes it easier and cheaper to renew by only doing the range competency for certification, correct?
I'm not really sure what you are asking here. Could you re-phrase the question?
Stevenof1 wrote:IMO- It's much more difficult to get a CCW here in Ohio. The renewal process in Florida requires sending a current passport size photo with the form (no range competency needed) and about $119.00 (that's for 7 Years).
I wouldn't say *much* more difficult - but yes, the required training in Ohio includes a 2-hour minimum a range component and you do have to apply in person. Ohio's license is $67 for 5 years (well, since you haven't been a resident for 5 years it is $91) and renewals are $50 for 5 years. So, the price compares pretty favorably.
Stevenof1 wrote:Plus, in Florida, businesses and counties or cities cannot ban guns (in parks, etc.) with signage and if they try there are strict repercussions by the State.
Ohio also has preemption for firearm laws, but unfortunately it doesn't have "teeth" so it is sometimes harder to get things fixed. And, businesses *can* post "no guns" signs and they have the force of law here, so be aware.

Finally, I see this is your first post so welcome to Ohio, and to OFCC!
NRA Life Member