Toledo PD seized guns

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dingode

Toledo PD seized guns

Post by dingode »

So today TPD was showing off 39 guns they confiscated yesterday alone, probably from idiots shooting them off up in the air to celebrate New Years. About a week ago on the TPD twitter page, they were showing off something like 160 guns they confiscated in 2016. Many of us on FB and Twitter asked if the guns would be sold to law-abiding citizens. I guess there is a city code that requires the guns be destroyed at the end of the case unless they can be returned to the person they were confiscated from. What a waste. There were thousands of dollars of nice guns pistols and rifles: Springfield, Glock, Ruger, Sig, etc... There were some Hi-points and the like, but not as many as you'd think.

Here in Toledo the city "leaders" work hard at extorting every penny they can get from us and yet they let thousands of dollars go to the shredder. With the union owned Democrats in charg, there is no way they'd change the law. I'd write my state rep, but they are union owned Demoncrats also. Who would be a good person to contact to see if there could be a state law enacted that would require the sale of the guns? Could ORC 9.68 be amended so it's enforceable? to I don't care if they're sold to an out of state dealer, but I just hate to see them destroyed and money thrown down the drain.
JediSkipdogg

Re: Toledo PD seized guns

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Most states and police departments follow that practice. Heck, we actually do it with property quite a bit. If we can't use seized property, we destroy it. Nothing like destroying a 50" TV instead of trying to get a few bucks from it.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

There are state laws restricting the sale of surplus stuff a city bought itself and now no longer needs. Apparently.a fair amount of legal hoops to jump through. My FD has old equipment that hasn't seen use in MY thirty five years there, but because it's been imventoried by our auditor and technically worth a small amount of money, (not much!) we are stuck with keeping it or selling it via auction.

I don't know how the legalities differ with confiscated goods. But in Kentucky such guns MUST be sold, not destroyed. That gives Louisville's lefty politicians fits, they've challenged that law in court more than once and got body-slammed. Ohio's legislature could pass a similar law but apparently can't take the heat from big city mayors and rhyming reverends.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Do they even try to find out if any of those guns are reported stolen? If they are known to be stolen are any then returned to the rightful owner? Just curious.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

WestonDon wrote:Do they even try to find out if any of those guns are reported stolen? If they are known to be stolen are any then returned to the rightful owner? Just curious.
Not sure but I believe they try to return them to the owner if it was reported stolen. As far as seized guns, if I'm not mistaken, state law allows them to be sold through a FFL instead of destroyed. Sadly most of our big cities destroy them, often making a big deal about it. Remember some recent posts about a highly collectible firearm being in a gun buy back that was going to be destroyed. When on a grand jury I wanted to cry at times when they were looking to confiscate firearms in a case. Not the junk stuff or even everyday items. But a Dan Wesson, Barrett, Colt revolvers, etc. City could make enough to pay for several additional officers but instead they make a big deal about destroying them. Surprisingly not much junk but more normal items. Glocks of every type (even the 10mms), M&Ps, Springfield and other 1911s.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

WestonDon wrote:Do they even try to find out if any of those guns are reported stolen? If they are known to be stolen are any then returned to the rightful owner? Just curious.
One would hope they run the guns from two standings. The first being that it is morally the right thing to do. The second being, if the gun is entered into NCIC, they have a legal obligation to try and get every gun back to it's rightful owner. If NCIC found out they had a stolen gun entered into NCIC pass through their possession, they could be in some big trouble.

Many moons ago (10+) some department had a stolen car in their impound lot. The vehicle went unclaimed and they never ran it again before destroying it (sending it to a crusher.) Come to find out the owner reported it stolen like a day or two after police came into possession of it. The owner somehow found out it was crushed and the department ended up paying dearly for it, way more than the car was worth.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
One would hope they run the guns from two standings. The first being that it is morally the right thing to do. The second being, if the gun is entered into NCIC, they have a legal obligation to try and get every gun back to it's rightful owner. If NCIC found out they had a stolen gun entered into NCIC pass through their possession, they could be in some big trouble.

Many moons ago (10+) some department had a stolen car in their impound lot. The vehicle went unclaimed and they never ran it again before destroying it (sending it to a crusher.) Come to find out the owner reported it stolen like a day or two after police came into possession of it. The owner somehow found out it was crushed and the department ended up paying dearly for it, way more than the car was worth.
Out of the dozen or so people of my acquaintance around here including myself who have had guns stolen in the last several years, with ID info subsequently entered into NCIC, none of us have ever gotten that magical "Hey, good news, we recovered your gun" call from the police. (I actually have asked those dozen folks about it from time to time.) Not a huge data base but it's all I've got. In my case the PD (Covington, Ky. where my AR-15 was stolen a decade or so back) didn't even enter the description and serial number into NCIC until I, uh, leveraged them with the help of a friend who knew who to harangue about it. That failure on their part was pretty aggravating, at a time I couldn't take more problems on my plate.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Brian D. wrote:Out of the dozen or so people of my acquaintance around here including myself who have had guns stolen in the last several years, with ID info subsequently entered into NCIC, none of us have ever gotten that magical "Hey, good news, we recovered your gun" call from the police. (I actually have asked those dozen folks about it from time to time.) Not a huge data base but it's all I've got. In my case the PD (Covington, Ky. where my AR-15 was stolen a decade or so back) didn't even enter the description and serial number into NCIC until I, uh, leveraged them with the help of a friend who knew who to harangue about it. That failure on their part was pretty aggravating, at a time I couldn't take more problems on my plate.
Unfortunately the rules of entering are still voluntary. If entry is made though, all rules must be followed. We still have guns entered that were stolen in the early 90s. Recovery is slim, but I think that's because once they are stolen, they are passed around from criminal to criminal for a bit then make it to the bottom of the closest river. I betcha most don't last 6 months on the streets after they are stolen. Our recovery rate is very low and one time we had a lead on some stolen guns and in less than a month they had changed hands five times then we hit a dead end. Son was still arrested and convicted for the original theft.

glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

dingode wrote:Here in Toledo the city "leaders" work hard at extorting every penny they can get from us and yet they let thousands of dollars go to the shredder. I don't care if they're sold to an out of state dealer, but I just hate to see them destroyed and money thrown down the drain.
Just browsing this older thread and your comments gave me an idea. Lots of people lamenting the apparently widespread practice of "authorities" destroying confiscated/recovered property. Maybe there is a upside to all this in that it discourages thievery by law enforcement agencies. I mean, if PD's are simply allowed to sell off the goods and pocket the money, I can see it getting out of hand and becoming a game to see who can seize the most and make the most $$ every year. This has already happened to some extent with state highway patrols seizing large amounts of cash from motorists based on the argument that it must be drug related money.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

A friend of mine had to move out of his home to move in and care for his aging parents in end stage cancers. While he was gone thieves broke in and caneback night after night. They stole everything including the titles to his vehicles. They towed them to a junkyard and sold them for scrap. Once my friend discovered what had happened he filed police reports. They traced one truck to the junkyard however they had already cut parts off of it. To get it back he has to pay towing and storage.
The thieves are in custody but are addicts with nothing. My friend is boned.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

evan price wrote:...My friend is boned.
No insurance (or bare minimum)?
MyWifeSaidYes
docachna

Post by docachna »

evan price wrote: ...........The thieves are in custody but are addicts with nothing. My friend is boned.
They won't help with the stolen items, but Victims of Crime could kick in for some cleanup, etc. And apparently, they'll pay his attorney direct after his claim is resolved if he has a lawyer submit the app.

https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Resou ... e-598.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

docachna wrote:
evan price wrote: ...........The thieves are in custody but are addicts with nothing. My friend is boned.
They won't help with the stolen items, but Victims of Crime could kick in for some cleanup, etc. And apparently, they'll pay his attorney direct after his claim is resolved if he has a lawyer submit the app.

https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Resou ... e-598.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Must be a crime of violence for that program to kick in I believe. According to the FBI violent crime is murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault. Violent crimes are defined in the UCR Program as those offenses which involve force or threat of force. Burglary and theft are not crimes of violence.

docachna

Post by docachna »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
docachna wrote:

Must be a crime of violence for that program to kick in I believe.

UR correct. I went to the AG's site, but failed to scroll down far enough.

Well, maybe someone else will see it who needs it. :)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

What about a gofundme page? That seems to be all the rage these days.