132 Ohio Legislature - Our Goals

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: 132 Ohio Legislature - Our Goals

Post by Chuck »

They don't have any problem pinning "hours" on the CHL training
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Chuck wrote:They don't have any problem pinning "hours" on the CHL training
Well, they are very vague there. You could meet the legislative requirements on training in 10 minutes but they added a time frame. The time frames added for eOPOTA are all generally. I believe Human Trafficking a few years back had a set number of hours. However, it was not a forced time. You could not read the slides and simply hit next and complete it in 20 minutes vs 60 (for one of the many classes on it.)

And it's hard to sit here and say you want to sue Officer Smitty because he did his CHL update in 5 minutes (which you would never know) instead of the mandated one hour when that issue would affect all of the nearly 26,000 police officers in Ohio. You also run into the issue of are you expecting a 100%? If not, then maybe the officer got a 95% and missed the section on the law he's enforcing at that time. Courts will most likely still grant him immunity saying he acted within good faith of his knowledge of the law (which many state Supreme Courts have done on officers misunderstanding the law.)

Sure, I don't like it. But now you'd have to get into legislating the way the AGs office or OPOTA is run....and good luck on both of those as very rarely will the state legislators touch those two areas because of the huge pushback from them.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

I took Ohio's human trafficking on-line class. There was a video that lasted about an hour, followed by a test that had a minimum passing score. I passed the test the first time with 100%.

All of my educational updates at work, that do not grant CEUs, are pass with a score of 100. You have to at least click through all of the slides, but the educators are smart, and made it so that you actually have to pause on each slide before you can click to the next. If you don't pass, you take it again and again until you do.

I call barbara streisand on the whole education thing. If updates in law are expected of them, then they need to do that as part of their job. I am not especially happy to have 3-4 educational modules to do monthly, but that is part of my job, and I get them done.

Supervisors need to hold them accountable, and they need to go through corrective action if they do not. Lives may depend on their actions every bit as much as lives depend on mine, and there is no excuse for ignorance.

Firefighters/EMTs also do their CEU, and they have a lot more of it than cops. If nurses and FF can do it, so can cops.

/rant
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Mustang380gal wrote:I took Ohio's human trafficking on-line class. There was a video that lasted about an hour, followed by a test that had a minimum passing score. I passed the test the first time with 100%.

All of my educational updates at work, that do not grant CEUs, are pass with a score of 100. You have to at least click through all of the slides, but the educators are smart, and made it so that you actually have to pause on each slide before you can click to the next. If you don't pass, you take it again and again until you do.

I call barbara streisand on the whole education thing. If updates in law are expected of them, then they need to do that as part of their job. I am not especially happy to have 3-4 educational modules to do monthly, but that is part of my job, and I get them done.

Supervisors need to hold them accountable, and they need to go through corrective action if they do not. Lives may depend on their actions every bit as much as lives depend on mine, and there is no excuse for ignorance.

Firefighters/EMTs also do their CEU, and they have a lot more of it than cops. If nurses and FF can do it, so can cops.

/rant
And I agree. But OPOTA and the FOP is a strong power in the Ohio Legislator. I think a large part is because they scream...do you want more officers on the street or more in the classroom? HB 64 passed last year just upped Ohio's training requirement for police officers from 12 to 20 hours. Add the mandatory firearms training which takes about 1 hour to qualify a year and you have 21 hours. Is that really enough for police? I say no, but taking an officer off the road is different than a firefighter/EMT who have some down time (hopefully somewhere during the year) and a nurse which is private sector (generally).

Any training is going to have to be tackled through the AG on a bill that he recommends or some changes to OPOTA. Adding it to a firearm bill will most likely have it stripped out.

http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

JediSkipdogg wrote:Any training is going to have to be tackled through the AG on a bill that he recommends...
...and now we see one of the reasons why having a pro-gun AG is so critical... :idea:
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Private v public is not an argument. It should be professional v amateur and If they do not see that part of being a professional is to be educated on your job, then they are content to be amateur.

So pay them up to 24 hr a year overtime to get it done, and make it with 100% pass on post tests. If they don't, they should get corrective action. I have to know my job; they should know theirs.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
sd790
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sd790 »

Why are we not discussing Constitutional Carry in Ohio now? In two years when the next flurry of laws are signed, Ohio needs to become a Constitutional Carry state too.
Constitutional Carry Marches On
Over at the Crime Research Prevention Center, John Lott Jr. notes that the number of “constitutional carry” states will reach 16 or 17 by the end of this year. Given that 15 years ago there was only one (two if you count Montana, which I’d classify as a “mostly constitutional carry” state) — and that 30 years ago most states had extremely restrictive permitting processes to boot — this is nothing short of remarkable. Elections, as it is said, have consequences.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... s-adopting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

sd790 wrote:Why are we not discussing Constitutional Carry in Ohio now? In two years when the next flurry of laws are signed, Ohio needs to become a Constitutional Carry state too.
Constitutional Carry Marches On
Over at the Crime Research Prevention Center, John Lott Jr. notes that the number of “constitutional carry” states will reach 16 or 17 by the end of this year. Given that 15 years ago there was only one (two if you count Montana, which I’d classify as a “mostly constitutional carry” state) — and that 30 years ago most states had extremely restrictive permitting processes to boot — this is nothing short of remarkable. Elections, as it is said, have consequences.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... s-adopting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do you think Kasich would sign or veto such a bill?

Do you think the GA would override a potential Kasich veto of such a bill?

Do you think Kasich has any future left in politics that we gun owners can hang over his head for failing to sign such a bill?

When you answer those questions you'll have answered your own.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Bersa45

Post by Bersa45 »

Javelin Man wrote:Free guns and ammo. If we can't get rid of notification even with all the testimony against it, then we might as well try to get something else. It didn't take long to get rid of the Buckeye Tuck.
I have been going to the gun free zones for awhile now and have never got a free gun yet!
OFCC member

3 seconds

Restraint when needed and action when required.

"Retreat? Hell, we're attacking in a different direction!" Major General O.P. Smith, November 1950.

Before a government can become a full-blown tyranny, the government must first disarm its citizens. The Founders of this nation, from their own experience, knew that when government goes bad, liberty evaporates and people die ... unless the people are armed. JPFO
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

I'd of course still like to see real campus carry and house of worship changes... But sad to say I have all but given up on it happening.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

techguy85 wrote:I'd of course still like to see real campus carry and house of worship changes... But sad to say I have all but given up on it happening.
I remember someone telling me the same thing about licensed concealed carry in Ohio, a couple of years prior to it happening. Back then it seemed like almost every other state in the country (or at least a lot of them) had shall issue licensing, other than NOhio. Even when it finally got enacted, it was vastly different than it is today. It seems like gun rights progress in the Ohio House and Senate is like a glacier, only with pressure and even then very slowly.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

techguy85 wrote:I'd of course still like to see real campus carry and house of worship changes... But sad to say I have all but given up on it happening.
Well, I can name at least two bills the worship was part of till the actual floor votes. Amendments were added and it seemed they always yanked that part. I never really did hear why they yanked it so easily without giving any other logic why.

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
Well, I can name at least two bills the worship was part of till the actual floor votes. Amendments were added and it seemed they always yanked that part. I never really did hear why they yanked it so easily without giving any other logic why.
Pressure from council of ministers or whatever they are called. As I understand it, those get dropped in the house where pressure from the citizenry is more potent.

They want the best of both worlds - no legal carry, and no need to put an ugly sign on those beautiful doors. Of course, they can't seem to understand that it doesn't do any good either way...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Chuck wrote:1. Repeal Notification
2. ORC 9.68 Reform
3. Stand Your Ground

What else?
Time for an update!

1. Repeal Notification = HB 142, going through the committee process

2. ORC 9.68 Reform = Nothing yet

3. Stand Your Ground = HB 228, introduced but not yet assigned a committee

What else? = HB 233, DEFEND bill, for "Decriminalization Effort For Ending Notorious Deaths", which essentially decriminalizes carrying in a CPZ.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

And of course, HB 201 Constitutional Carry - not that it is likely to go anywhere...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!