Pa renewal

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Dave44142

Pa renewal

Post by Dave44142 »

This is the year i need to renew my pa ccw. I got mine in Centre county...do i need to return to the same county? or may i get the renewal closer? i also have the Ohio and Florida ccw...*smile* thanks..
God gave us the right to self defense, the second amendment stops the Government from taking it away.
The American Revolution wasn't about tea and taxes — it was about taking guns!
502ci
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Pa renewal

Post by 502ci »

You do know PA now honors Ohio's license right?
Nothing to see here...move along.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Right now, there is no benefit to having a PA license if your Ohio license was issued March 23, 2015 or later (which gives you TX and WI) *unless* you spend a lot of time in PA. If so, having a local license is always a good thing, and it gives the added benefit of nullifying the Federal GFSZ Act in PA.

If you do want to renew, you can do so in any county that will issue to non-residents. Some counties may consider it a new license, but since the cost and procedure are the same it really doesn't matter. The closest counties that are non-resident friendly are Erie, Butler, and Crawford. There may be others just over the border but last time I checked none of the others were non-resident friendly.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Dave:

Do note that PA licenses are now NOT issued by mail-order. You have to go to the Sheriff's Office in the selected county.

Lawrence County PA issues non-residents, last I heard, but requires local references, and does call them.

You need to check the Sheriff's web site, or perhaps call, to be sure. If you renewed your OH CHL after that March date, you're already legal in PA.

There appears to be a goofy in the Federal law - some of the Federal laws pertaining to school zones exempt only licensees who are carrying licenses issued to residents of that State. IMHO, this was legislative oversight, but....

If you did not renew in OH after that March date, you can't re-renew or otherwise have any options except getting the necessary non-resident license. Other than the "in person" renewal, there seems to be no disadvantage to that.

I was tempted to drive over to Centre County, but the renewal sort of snuck up on me. Since I'm only a few miles from Lawrence County, and had a spare hour, I drove over there. They treated it like a new application, but they just mailed me the new license in about a month. If you're doing an in-person renew in Lawrence County PA, and were previously licensed through Lawrence County, I think they hand it to you before you leave.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
ruger

Post by ruger »

Obtaining our non-resident PA CHLs in April 2015 was quick and painless. Drove over to Erie PA in late morning w/o an appointment and left with our PA licenses about 30 minutes later. The forms are available on-line but they only accepted cash payments. (Pretty sure it was $20 each)

While PA recognizes our post 3/25/15 issued OH CHL's, in 2015 at least, Maine did not, but they did recognize PA, so we got them before our summer M/C trip to New England.

Not sure what the current status is with ME and OH, but since we're not going to ME this year, not a concern for now.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

ME currently recognizes an Ohio license. That changed sometime in 2015 as I recall.

(Oh, and as a clarification, PA and ME both recognize Ohio licenses regardless of when they were issued.)
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Dave44142

Re: Pa. renewal

Post by Dave44142 »

I have a issue date of Janurary 6 2015 for my Ohio C.H.L. renewal...so i am not sure how this will apply to me.....
God gave us the right to self defense, the second amendment stops the Government from taking it away.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Pa. renewal

Post by JustaShooter »

Dave44142 wrote:I have a issue date of Janurary 6 2015 for my Ohio C.H.L. renewal...so i am not sure how this will apply to me.....
PA recognizes it, so no worries there. Since your license was issued before March 23, 2015 it isn't recognized by WI and TX, but a PA license does give you those two states if that matters to you.
NRA Life Member

Dave44142

Post by Dave44142 »

Just a note to finish this up, i did go to Erie Pa, to the court house about 4 weeks ago. Then i did complete the paper work paid 20 dollars, and was told that i should
have my new license with in 2 weeks from that date. All went very well, i did receive it in the mail about 16 days later and i am happy. I was treated very well and had a nice talk with the deputy about national concealed-carry reciprocity, as the policy is known, Dave
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

Also, PA license indicates your US citizenship. Was able to use it for a purchase at the CMP store when I forget to bring my passport. OH dl doesn't work.