Young OH Hunter gets grief in school for first buck

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bruenor

Young OH Hunter gets grief in school for first buck

Post by Bruenor »

How sad that people don't understand the heritage, tradition and conservation of hunting. I feel bad for the little girl, obviously however this was handled at school it was handled poorly.

http://www.medina-gazette.com/Medina-Co ... -buck.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Domonique Yatsko harvested her first deer on the last day of youth deer-gun weekend in November. It was an eight-point buck.

To celebrate, a picture taken of the 9-year-old and the deer was put on a black sweatshirt. Heidi Yatsko told The Gazette on Thursday that her daughter proudly wore the sweatshirt to school the next day.

“She was very proud when she took her first deer,” the mother said.

But when Domonique came home from school, Heidi said, she threw the sweatshirt in the garbage. Domonique told her mother she was “yelled at” by her teacher and told to take off the sweatshirt because “killing animals is not what we do.”

“She was ashamed and belittled in front of everyone in the classroom,” Heidi said. “She didn’t know what to think; she was so upset.”
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Young OH Hunter gets grief in school for first buck

Post by techmike »

Teacher should be fired.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
GlockMan27

Post by GlockMan27 »

Why not use their terminology against them. Seems to me the young girl was bullied into removing the shirt since it wasn't a violation of the dress code.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

This incident was resolved back in last November.
See:https://www.facebook.com/notes/outdooro ... 5189568867

If you don't like/use Facebook here's a quote:

Young Ohio Hunter Shamed At School - ISSUE RESOLVED
OUTDOOROHIO·FRIDAY, JANUARY 6, 2017

We, at OutdoorOhio, Ltd., were the first to further investigate the incident reported in the Ohio Outdoor News by editor Mike Moore. After looking into the reports from both sides of this incident, can have come to a few conclusions:
1) The teacher (who comes from a hunting family) is a first-year teacher, 22 years old, and was ill-equipped to deal with what turned out to be the concerns of a few of the third-grade students in her class, who were saddened by the photo of a dead deer on Domonique's shirt.
2) The Principal was ill-advised to be on the side of the teacher rather than standing up for what's right.
HOWEVER:
3) Upon meeting with Domonique's mother, Heidi, the teacher, principal and superintendent all recognized the mistakes they had made and formally apologized to Domonique and the rest of her family.
4) This incident occurred back before Thanksgiving break, but the Ohio Outdoor News only heard about the story yesterday, which means that someone, regardless of actions taken by the school district to smooth the situation over, still has an axe to grind and could possibly be purposely exacerbating the drama for unknown reasons.
Also see: https://goo.gl/eYUI8v (Also a Facebook link -- sorry)
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Yes, the teacher was out of line for telling her that.

As for 'yelling', I had a student accuse me of yelling at her all the time when I asked her to switch hands on her clarinet to the correct side. She also accused a bus driver of yelling at her all the time so she was in the office with her mother, bus driver and principal. The driver quietly said something to the girl and she burst out, "See, she's always yelling at me!" The principal said the meeting was over. I was cleared as well.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

1) The teacher (who comes from a hunting family) is a first-year teacher, 22 years old, and was ill-equipped to deal with what turned out to be the concerns of a few of the third-grade students in her class, who were saddened by the photo of a dead deer on Domonique's shirt.
You can have the best training from college and student teaching, and you still won't be properly prepared for everything that comes at you in the classroom. Let's give her some slack and let her learn from her mistake.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

I have no problem with hunting, but I don't think I would have a shirt made with a picture of my first kill. And no I'm not blaming the victim just never heard of don't that.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

I don't see what the big deal is. People are too thin skinned these days - on both sides. I remember getting physically "thrashed" by my teachers back in the 1970's. Yeah, they'd put hands on you if you got out of line...especially when the teacher was the football or wrestling coach.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Javelin Man wrote: As for 'yelling', I had a student accuse me of yelling at her all the time when I asked her to switch hands on her clarinet to the correct side. She also accused a bus driver of yelling at her all the time so she was in the office with her mother, bus driver and principal. The driver quietly said something to the girl and she burst out, "See, she's always yelling at me!" The principal said the meeting was over. I was cleared as well.
It's not uncommon for children to "hear" things with a megaphone. :lol: Heck, just think back to when we were kids. How many times did we make a mountain out of a molehill? Even as adults, we can still knee-jerk and overreact sometimes, and that's not dissimilar.

I think one of the best things I heard at a (scheduled) meeting with my daughter's then pre-school teacher was that as a teacher, she will only believe half of what Anna says about us at school, if we'll promise to give her the same benefit of doubt about what Anna says about her, in-turn, when she's at home. It was a joke, of-course, but I really do believe there's a lot of truth in that. :) Whenever my daughter's upset that a teacher "yelled" at her, I always think about that advice, and I also always try to help her distinguish if what transpired really was deserved discipline/correction or if it was just a "stop poking at the dog!" kind of remark. To bolster my undergrads' confidence, I'll often say to them: "That's not the boss yelling at you, that's him debating science! Yell back!" :lol:

Back to the OP, I'm glad to see via AlanM's post that those involved did the right thing and apologized to the child.

Nevertheless, it is unfortunate that it happened.

I'm a city boy and have never hunted, but I would like to think that I understand why folks do - whether it be for subsistence or for sport. Similarly, I try to teach my daughter that the meat we so enjoy comes from live animals, be it farmed on an industrial level or locally, or from friends who hunt.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio