NICs check for suppressors

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

NICs check for suppressors

Post by techmike »

GOP Representatives introduce legislation to remove suppressors from NFA jurisdiction.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... ppressors/
This will be a good thing. :D
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
glocksmith

Re: NICs check for suppressors

Post by glocksmith »

The problem is that it seems too good to be true.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I fail to see the point of a NICS check to buy a suppressor to put on a gun for which you had to have a NICS check to buy in the first place.

It's like having to get a new drivers license when you put new tires on your car.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

As much as I'm loathe to say it... "baby steps". Not a perfect solution but it is still better than the current nonsense.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Yes, Baby Steps. And I have to opine that getting them off the NFA is a substantial move.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

What do you think will happen to prices???
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Could go lots of ways...
Drop like a rock for the old tech models because there is no longer a "limited" audience, ie people willing to shell out the big bucks and wait and fill out the paperwork.
Stay the same as quality and innovation make significant leaps.
Go up (at least initially) as demand goes crazy and production tries to catch up.
All of the above? Kinda like computers. The basic price for a "good", current model has remained somewhat steady while those features and power has advanced year after year. That "top of the line" model that cost $2500 in the 90's? Good luck giving it away. That same $2500 continues to buy the current high end model.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

WestonDon wrote:I fail to see the point of a NICS check to buy a suppressor to put on a gun for which you had to have a NICS check to buy in the first place.
Assuming you buy the gun at retail, yes, that's true.
pirateguy191 wrote:What do you think will happen to prices???
Initially? They would skyrocket and the manufacturers couldn't keep up with demand. There'd be huge backorders. In a few years they'd settle out, probably about where they are today.
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Less govt. control, a lot less tax (-$200 per), more people buying, no 6 - 10 month waiting period, there are a LOT more companies making them now than there were just 2 years ago.... seems to me that prices would initially jump, then go down & stabilize. :?:
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

djthomas wrote:
WestonDon wrote:I fail to see the point of a NICS check to buy a suppressor to put on a gun for which you had to have a NICS check to buy in the first place.
Assuming you buy the gun at retail, yes, that's true.
pirateguy191 wrote:What do you think will happen to prices???
Initially? They would skyrocket and the manufacturers couldn't keep up with demand. There'd be huge backorders. In a few years they'd settle out, probably about where they are today.
During the backorder Maglights sales might skyrocket. I know a guy that has legally built two out of Maglights. And they seem pretty solid and cool. Rest of the parts he bought online.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Can I get a nics check for my oil filter :lol: Their should be a way to use something liked that legally. :?:
Black Rifles Matter
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Well, if they come off the NFA list then in theory, there is no reason you can't make your own. :wink:
docpadds

Post by docpadds »

WY_Not wrote:Well, if they come off the NFA list then in theory, there is no reason you can't make your own. :wink:

You can make your own now, just needs a Form 1 and patience, lots and lots of patience.
https://t.me/pump_upp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Imcrazy

Post by Imcrazy »

I hope so, I bet my neighbors hope even more lol...
-Aaron
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Dummy question here and also a hypothetical question as it has not happened yet...but...what if suppressors "come off of the NFA list" or however you say it? What happens to all the paperwork and registration that exists for you folks who bought them before they became non-NFA items?
Give em' Hell Pike!!!