OSU Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BB62

Re: OSU Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk

Post by BB62 »

Chuck wrote:Like you said, there's a LOT on that event page.
I watched a lot of videos so far, I was hoping I didn't have to watch them all

Never mind if it's too much trouble to link, I'll find it
Although not complete, this is probably the longest video of the interaction with the students: https://www.facebook.com/cell411tv/vide ... 792069905/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The one video I know exists of a student thanking us hasn't been posted.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Thank you
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
BB62

Post by BB62 »

BB62 wrote:...The one video I know exists of a student thanking us hasn't been posted.
Here is the student I was referring to, about 5 1/2 minutes in: https://www.facebook.com/Constitutional ... 396573594/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Pops Fun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Pops Fun »

The walk was great, some interaction and some reactions.
One thing I thought amazing was when I left group to go to subway and wait. My legs gave out :)

No police following or any one noticing as I walk through the campus with my shiny chrome 1911 strapped on. i stopped twice to sit down and rest. I was tired. No reaction from students or anyone on campus..... Just thought it was interesting.
Strolling across campus and no one noticed or called police or went screaming away. A nonevent !!!!

Just thought it was interesting.
Steve

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it, have never known it again.".............. Ronald Reagan
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

As it should be. If a person is walking around OC it should garner no more attention than the same person driving down the road in their car. If they start to do something stupid, then they should get some attention; not before.
Pops Fun wrote:No police following or any one noticing as I walk through the campus with my shiny chrome 1911 strapped on. i stopped twice to sit down and rest. I was tired. No reaction from students or anyone on campus..... Just thought it was interesting. Strolling across campus and no one noticed or called police or went screaming away. A nonevent !!!!
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Pops Fun wrote:The walk was great, some interaction and some reactions.
One thing I thought amazing was when I left group to go to subway and wait. My legs gave out :)

No police following or any one noticing as I walk through the campus with my shiny chrome 1911 strapped on. i stopped twice to sit down and rest. I was tired. No reaction from students or anyone on campus..... Just thought it was interesting.
Strolling across campus and no one noticed or called police or went screaming away. A nonevent !!!!

Just thought it was interesting.
That is interesting. Thanks for that tidbit!

Got Freedom?

dynamike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dynamike »

This is the student I was referring to -> https://www.facebook.com/mikenewbern/po ... nref=story
Terra Nullius I am not active within this community and I do not even post in conversations regularly, but I would like you to know that the response was indeed overwhelmingly negative whether voiced on social media or to you directly. In multiple different classrooms students openly started discussion about how fearful they were and how they "can't wait to get off campus for the holiday" as a result of all of the gun toting that day. Due to events prior, this truly created fear in many students I have heard talking. I just thought you might have wanted to know what kind of conversation went on within the classrooms regarding this effort.
Mike

I am an engineering statistician, US Submarine Veteran, avid motorcyclist, and staunch supporter of Liberty.

Ohio Director Students for Concealed Carry
fisher

Post by fisher »

I seems that some faculty members have published a letter to the OSU president about the event.

http://thelantern.com/2016/12/open-lett ... istration/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some highlights of the drivel:

We write this letter to express the widespread outrage over the university’s recent decision to allow a group of primarily non-student individuals to carry assault rifles on our campus last week. The event required no special permission from the university — a significant issue on its own.
It is an affront to the students and staff of color on this campus for the university to so brazenly highlight the racial double standard at play in this state, by not only welcoming a group of white activists with deadly weapons to our campus, but providing them University Police security, while. elsewhere in the state, people of different races are killed for the possession of weapons in places where such possession is not even banned, as it is on this campus.
It is safe to say that the action of the open-carry demonstration very well could endanger the mental health of all OSU community members and certainly could create reasonable fear.
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunbanobama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I can't even... But I'll try!
We write this letter to express the widespread outrage over the university’s recent decision to allow a group of primarily non-student individuals to carry assault rifles on our campus last week.
"Our campus"? Possessive much? As Ohioans it's *our* campus too, since it is public land. Get over it.
The event required no special permission from the university — a significant issue on its own.
Wait, if it "required no special permission from the university" then they didn't "[decide] to allow" the event, did they?
It is an affront to the students and staff of color on this campus for the university to so brazenly highlight the racial double standard at play in this state, by not only welcoming
There you go again - were they "welcomed", "allowed" or was there "no special permission [required] from the university"?
a group of white activists with deadly weapons to our campus,
"White activists"? Racist much? Just because a particular group of people don't meet your standards of diversity doesn't give you the right to label them with a pejorative.
but providing them University Police security,
Yes, there were people with guns keeping an eye on the ... people with guns. Most people would have thought the University Police were there to protect *you* from the "white activists with deadly weapons" but in your view, the police were there to protect the "white activists with deadly weapons" from ... unarmed students? Faculty? Nutjobs with knives like the one that didthe human Cuisinart thing on some of your students a few days before? What?
while. elsewhere in the state, people of different races are killed for the possession of weapons in places where such possession is not even banned
Sorry, I missed the epidemic of "people of different races" being "killed for the possession of weapons" anywhere in Ohio, much less "where such possession is not even banned". Unless you are referring to "people of different races" *illegally* in possession of weapons, who fail to follow lawful orders from law enforcement. Even so, doesn't seem like there is a whole lot of that going on.
, as it is on this campus.
Um, no, check the law - possession of weapons is not banned on campus. Carrying a *concealed* weapon is banned - actually illegal - on campus, but open carry of weapons is not. Well except for your faculty, staff and students who apparently *need* weapons to protect themselves...
It is safe to say that the action of the open-carry demonstration very well could endanger the mental health of all OSU community members and certainly could create reasonable fear.
Oh for crying out loud. Use that diaper pin on your shirt to carry a bigger straw so you can *suck it up, snowflake*!
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

fisher wrote:I seems that some faculty members have published a letter to the OSU president about the event.

http://thelantern.com/2016/12/open-lett ... istration/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We write this letter to express the widespread outrage over the university’s recent decision to allow a group of primarily non-student individuals to carry assault rifles on our campus last week. The event required no special permission from the university — a significant issue on its own.
It is an affront to the students and staff of color on this campus for the university to so brazenly highlight the racial double standard at play in this state, by not only welcoming a group of white activists with deadly weapons to our campus, but providing them University Police security, while. elsewhere in the state, people of different races are killed for the possession of weapons in places where such possession is not even banned, as it is on this campus.
I found it interesting that the letter was signed primarily by the heads of departments that do not confer readily employable degrees. Just sayin' ...
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

I posted a reply to the comments for that article as "Alumnus's Father".
Let's see if it gets published.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I sent them a comment too, AlanM.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

You both were published in the comments! But Brian, you have to start using smaller words that those professors might understand. 8)
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Werz wrote:
fisher wrote:I seems that some faculty members have published a letter to the OSU president about the event.

I found it interesting that the letter was signed primarily by the heads of departments that do not confer readily employable degrees. Just sayin' ...

Shannon Winnubst, Chair, Department of Women’s, Gender & Sexuality Studies
Barry Shank, Chair, Department of Comparative Studies
Karen Hutzel, Chair, Department of Arts Administration, Education & Policy
Robyn Warhol, Chair, Department of English
Valerie Lee, Chair, Department of African American and African Studies
Yana Hashamova, Chair, Department of Slavic and Eastern European Languages & Cultures
Lisa Florman, Chair, Department of History of Art
Eugenia R. Romero, Chair, Department of Spanish & Portuguese
Robert C. Holub, Chair, Department of Germanic Languages & Literatures
Shari Speer, Chair, Department of Linguistics
Susan Hadley, Chair, Department of Dance
Nate Rosenstein, Chair, Department of History
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Javelin Man wrote:You both were published in the comments! But Brian, you have to start using smaller words that those professors might understand. 8)
I like to let eggheads know that us "outsiders" do not think a thesaurus is some sort of prehistoric animal. Those folks make a nasty regular practice of talking down to non-academics. It's never set well with me.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.