Restaurant patron unhappy with my OC today

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Restaurant patron unhappy with my OC today

Post by Brian D. »

I'll keep this brief, and it's more funny than annoying or anything. There's a small breakfast/lunch place I go to once a week or so, meeting several friends, we all sit at the U-shaped counter. So today, whichever employee got there first must have turned the furnace up a little too high, it was warm in there. So, we all removed our coats, and of course I had a firearm on, now in the open. Not sure if my friends even noticed, it's not the first time this has happened. There's even a CPD sergeant among the group on that side of the place sometimes, he is well aware I carry because he's pretty observant, and it's come up in conversation.

Anyhow, as I'm starting to eat, a customer none of us had seen before happens to walk past, on his way to a table in the back. He just had to start up a negative conversation about the fact I was carrying. This isn't new stuff for me so I stayed calm and tried to keep my end of the discussion, you know, sane and even polite. The sergeant at one point interjected that my armed status made HIM feel MORE comfortable, right after the anti-gun guy had stated the opposite.

So then the AGG said that he worked in a local hospital emergency room, and had seen way too many gunshot wounds. Just out of curiosity I asked which hospital that was, and his reply got the Sarge and I laughing almost hysterically. NOBODY goes to that particular hospital for any kind of trauma treatment, certainly not a gunshot wound, I couldn't help but state as such. At that point a pal at the counter just said "We all feel the same way, young fella, more people should carry. Or, would you like a recount?"

That pretty much busted up the conversation, and the unhappy "hospital worker" (I sorta don't think so!) just sulked back to where his breakfast companion had previously taken a seat and tried to be unseen during the discussion.

Sometimes I think the "I work in/volunteer at a hospital emergency room" thing is out of some anti-gunner playbook of how to "win" rude anti-gun arguments. Today marks the fourth time someone has used that one on me through a bunch of years. In two such previous encounters, afterwards I checked their stories and found that no, they didn't work or volunteer at any such place. Hence my cynicism now.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Restaurant patron unhappy with my OC today

Post by Javelin Man »

Where's the applaud emoticom! :D
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Good story Brian!
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

Well, I DO work in a hospital emergency room. The one I'm at now gets GSW's very infrequently. My previous ER, we saw our share. I've worked with one vehement anti gunner. She was at my current employer but has retired (Thank you Jesus). Far more of those I've worked with are either neutral or pro gun. Actually, a pretty high percentage (especially at my former place of employment) are CHL holders.

I guess it helps that my former employer actually had in their employee policy that we could have firearms in our vehicles as long as we followed state laws. Where I work now, not so much. :x
Last edited by tbrew85 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

Thanks for sharing that Brian.

It amazes me that people who think guns, and people who carry them, are inherently dangerous are perfectly willing to confront said dangerous gun toters.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

NIce job Brian....No one enterupts my eating...I would of told him to go back to his table...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

carmen fovozzo wrote:NIce job Brian....No one enterupts my eating...I would of told him to go back to his table...
Is this where the Meet 'N Greet is going to happen? 8) Make sure Unhappy Man is there! :P

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Javelin Man wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:NIce job Brian....No one enterupts my eating...I would of told him to go back to his table...
Is this where the Meet 'N Greet is going to happen? 8) Make sure Unhappy Man is there! :P
It would have to be a breakfast or lunch thing, they close at 3pm. Not a lot of seating overall and four person booths barely hold that many. Rather use a place with a banquet room.

If there's a takeaway from this morning it's a reinforcement of learning to keep one's cool with antis such as this guy. Usually they'll blow their stack and stomp off, or others will urge them to desist from that nonsense. My pal who made the crack about a recount could have been a stand up comic, he'll laugh and come right back at a heckler with those *drops mic, walks away* replies.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote: Sometimes I think the "I work in/volunteer at a hospital emergency room" thing is out of some anti-gunner playbook of how to "win" rude anti-gun arguments. Today marks the fourth time someone has used that one on me through a bunch of years. In two such previous encounters, afterwards I checked their stories and found that no, they didn't work or volunteer at any such place. Hence my cynicism now.
It wouldn't get any mileage with me. I worked for many years as an EMT, and later as an nurse at a three major metropolitan hospitals. I've dealt with many gunshot victims. Are there too many of them? Of course, but they're not primarily due to responsible people who are lawfully carrying, whether it be open or concealed. Those people are just trying to avoid becoming a gunshot victim themselves. There are also too many stabbings and violent assaults of all kinds. There are too many car accidents, but you don't tell people not to drive a car.
fisher

Post by fisher »

Maybe that guy should stick to establishments with gunbuster signs if it is such a big personal problem for him.
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunbanobama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kSetuni

Post by kSetuni »

I would have had to ask him since he was so against unsafe things or things that hurt people, that I hope he arrived in a horse and buggy vs a car, because otherwise he is a hypocrite. That comment has shut up many an anti gun nut for me lol.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

kSetuni wrote:I would have had to ask him since he was so against unsafe things or things that hurt people, that I hope he arrived in a horse and buggy vs a car, because otherwise he is a hypocrite. That comment has shut up many an anti gun nut for me lol.
As a person who has been injured more in race horse accidents than car accidents, I could argue that comment.... :wink:

3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

Brian D. wrote:Sometimes I think the "I work in/volunteer at a hospital emergency room" thing is out of some anti-gunner playbook of how to "win" rude anti-gun arguments. Today marks the fourth time someone has used that one on me through a bunch of years. In two such previous encounters, afterwards I checked their stories and found that no, they didn't work or volunteer at any such place. Hence my cynicism now.

My immediate retort to that statement is: "Really? Well, my father-in-law, a practicing and well respected physician for the past 28 years, carries a gun every day. Mostly to try to avoid being the guy with the GSW..."
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Stryker74 wrote:
Brian D. wrote:Sometimes I think the "I work in/volunteer at a hospital emergency room" thing is out of some anti-gunner playbook of how to "win" rude anti-gun arguments. Today marks the fourth time someone has used that one on me through a bunch of years. In two such previous encounters, afterwards I checked their stories and found that no, they didn't work or volunteer at any such place. Hence my cynicism now.

My immediate retort to that statement is: "Really? Well, my father-in-law, a practicing and well respected physician for the past 28 years, carries a gun every day. Mostly to try to avoid being the guy with the GSW..."
LoL yeah. I did a stint in the hospital recently and I was surprised when I overheard the staff engaging in a long winded conversation in the hallway - about which kind of handguns they concealed carry - and which handguns they wanted to purchase next. :D
Give em' Hell Pike!!!
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

glocksmith wrote:
Stryker74 wrote:

LoL yeah. I did a stint in the hospital recently and I was surprised when I overheard the staff engaging in a long winded conversation in the hallway - about which kind of handguns they concealed carry - and which handguns they wanted to purchase next. :D
Depends on the staff. My daughter was thrown from her horse a few years back and the EMT's took her to a local emergency room. She had a Ka-Bar strapped to her leg. She always wore it while riding in case of an accident where she might have to cut the tack to get out from under a fallen horse. The nurse wanted to call the sheriff and have her arrested for wearing it, but the doctor nixed it and told the nurse to leave the room if it bothered her (the knife was sitting on a table in the examining room at that point). The nurse left, huffing and puffing. The doctor then asked my daughter if she got the knife at TDI, which she had, and started talking about his experience there and about guns.

My wife worked as a nurse and kept the fact that she had a CHL a complete secret as all the other nursing administrators were vehemently anti-gun. Then she ran into one of the doctors at the range and he had a CHL and about a half dozen nice guns that he was shooting. He and she were both surprised to see the other there and they talked a while, but neither ever mentioned anything about it later at work to protect themselves.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand