OSU Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jeep45238

Re: OSU Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk

Post by jeep45238 »

TIming and context are critical for things like this. It's not always easy to see when the right time is, but it's generally easy(ish) to see when it's the wrong time.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I think the timing is good for two reasons: This event, in which the only fatality was that of the terrorist, is still fresh in peoples' memories. Also, the Ohio General Assembly is RIGHT NOW doing their "get off our butts and pass a few laws at the end of this two year term" thing.

Far as the linked Facebook page goes I've been appointed a babysitter/monitor/bodyguard/moderator for the next few days, and was already there early after BB62 started it up. I sure didn't see any comment deleting occur, and I certainly didn't do any myself.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
dynamike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dynamike »

Brian D. wrote:I think the timing is good for two reasons: This event, in which the only fatality was that of the terrorist, is still fresh in peoples' memories. Also, the Ohio General Assembly is RIGHT NOW doing their "get off our butts and pass a few laws at the end of this two year term" thing.
Valid discussion and one that our leaders at OSU tried to have.
Brian D. wrote:Far as the linked Facebook page goes I've been appointed a babysitter/monitor/bodyguard/moderator for the next few days, and was already there early after BB62 started it up. I sure didn't see any comment deleting occur, and I certainly didn't do any myself.
Do you see them there now? I can post screenshots of them if you like.
Mike

I am an engineering statistician, US Submarine Veteran, avid motorcyclist, and staunch supporter of Liberty.

Ohio Director Students for Concealed Carry
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Put up whatever you like, just saying that I didn't notice any posts being deleted over there on the Facebook page.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

gfrlaser wrote:Just saw this. Probably should have posted here instead of new thread.

WHIO report

Monday’s attack provided the backdrop for an Ohio Senate committee hearing Tuesday on HB 48, a proposal from Rep. Ron Maag, R- Lebanon. The bill would allow people with a permit to carry a concealed weapon to bring their guns onto campus as long as the school doesn’t prohibit it. Under current law it is illegal for permit holders to have weapons on campus.

http://www.whio.com/news/crime--law/ohi ... 5qcp2j8yO/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is a baby step, I know, but just allowing cc on campus "grounds" by students, but not in the buildings AND "as long as the school doesn't prohibit it" is nothing but a joke.
We ALL know there's NOT ONE COLLAGE in Ohio that will allow it, PERIOD!

The law need to add that any and all schools that get any kind of funding/grants and the like from the state, HAVE to allow it.
That's the only way anyones going to be allowed to carry.....again PERIOD.

If Rep. Ron Maag is running with ANY type of bill, he needs to understand this.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
dynamike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dynamike »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:
gfrlaser wrote:Just saw this. Probably should have posted here instead of new thread.

WHIO report

Monday’s attack provided the backdrop for an Ohio Senate committee hearing Tuesday on HB 48, a proposal from Rep. Ron Maag, R- Lebanon. The bill would allow people with a permit to carry a concealed weapon to bring their guns onto campus as long as the school doesn’t prohibit it. Under current law it is illegal for permit holders to have weapons on campus.

http://www.whio.com/news/crime--law/ohi ... 5qcp2j8yO/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is a baby step, I know, but just allowing cc on campus "grounds" by students, but not in the buildings AND "as long as the school doesn't prohibit it" is nothing but a joke.
We ALL know there's NOT ONE COLLAGE in Ohio that will allow it, PERIOD!

The law need to add that any and all schools that get any kind of funding/grants and the like from the state, HAVE to allow it.
That's the only way anyones going to be allowed to carry.....again PERIOD.

If Rep. Ron Maag is running with ANY type of bill, he needs to understand this.
One of the committee members has an amendment to that very affect.

HB48 doesn't put the onus on universities to ban campus carry. It requires they approve it. It's important to recognize that absent any action by universities, university affiliates still face severe punishment from the university if they carry on campus.
Mike

I am an engineering statistician, US Submarine Veteran, avid motorcyclist, and staunch supporter of Liberty.

dynamike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dynamike »

Brian D. wrote:Put up whatever you like, just saying that I didn't notice any posts being deleted over there on the Facebook page.
Just because you didn't notice any being deleted doesn't mean it didn't occur.

I assert and have proof that it did.
Mike

BB62

>> Armed *OSU STUDENT* participation is OFF <<

Post by BB62 »

As posted to Facebook:

HOWEVER, if you're NOT an OSU student, COME ARMED (or not, your choice). You see, the OSU code of student conduct has no implications for you, since you're not an OSU student! :D

So let's make sure we're all straight on this... if you're a student at another college or university, or if you're not a student at all - you're good. If you're an OSU student, you're disarmed, unable to pointedly express your support for this Walk and its aims, and a *sitting duck* - just like every other day of the year.

Congratulations!! :(

OSU, in their wonderfully inscrutable way (I received a phone call, not an e-mail) didn't explain and hasn't yet explained the "Why?" - since two years ago in April, armed student participation was **approved**. (I've sent an e-mail asking about their thinking)
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
buckeye43210

Re: >> Armed *OSU STUDENT* participation is OFF <<

Post by buckeye43210 »

BB62 wrote:As posted to Facebook:

HOWEVER, if you're NOT an OSU student, COME ARMED (or not, your choice). You see, the OSU code of student conduct has no implications for you, since you're not an OSU student! :D

So let's make sure we're all straight on this... if you're a student at another college or university, or if you're not a student at all - you're good. If you're an OSU student, you're disarmed, unable to pointedly express your support for this Walk and its aims, and a *sitting duck* - just like every other day of the year.

OSU, in their wonderfully inscrutable way (I received a phone call, not an e-mail) didn't explain and hasn't yet explained the "Why?" - since two years ago in April, armed student participation was **approved**. (I've sent an e-mail asking about their thinking)
Remember, OSU Faculty and Staff are also prohibited from such behavior while on campus.
BB62

Re: >> Armed *OSU STUDENT* participation is OFF <<

Post by BB62 »

buckeye43210 wrote:
BB62 wrote:As posted to Facebook:

Remember, OSU Faculty and Staff are also prohibited from such behavior while on campus.
You are of course correct, however the reason I don't mention it is that employees are expected to know the applicable employee manual rules regarding on-campus firearm possession.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

westsidebestside

Post by westsidebestside »

The comment I thought interesting on the healing topic was "If you wouldn't mind, please ask your OSU friends to post here. I'd really like some feedback.

(The Walk is going on regardless, however)"

Who are these people so I know who to avoid. They're slappies.
BB62

>> AFTER WALK REPORT <<

Post by BB62 »

As posted to Facebook:

First, my deep appreciation to participants who traveled hours (& hours) to attend: Harrison, Hunter, Mackenzie & Mackenzie from Kent State, Katie, Ben & Adam from Youngstown, Phil from BGSU, Virgil from Dayton, Dusty & Dusty from Columbus, Donovan from Miami U., and Stephen, Steve, & Gary from Cincinnati, plus Cory from Northern KY.

What a fantastic Walk it was!

Although I'd contacted the media ahead of time, only one outlet (TV) contacted me back, so I figured that they were going to ignore the Walk. Boy was I wrong! I believe three TV stations showed up, plus the Columbus Dispatch, "The Lantern" student newspaper, and NPR. Each of the outlets shadowed us for quite a ways, and I believe one followed us for nearly the whole walk!

This Walk was distinctly different in that live video was heavily used by both the media and Walk participants. It really brought the walk to life and showed out interaction with people as well as people's reactions (or lack thereof) to our presence. (there are many, many videos available on this event page, and on media websites)

After taking pictures at the OSU sign, we walked South on High St. and turned right on 11th street. Down 11th a little ways we ran into a group of high school students from Eastmoor Academy. As we approached them and vice versa, their reaction became "What the...?" We told them what we were doing and asked if they had questions - which started 15-20 minutes worth of questions and answers. It was extremely rewarding.

As we walked around campus, seeking highly trafficked areas and guided by a former OSU student, we encountered a number of students who thanked us for being there, some who said they wished they could join us, quite a few people who asked questions, and two or three people who voiced opposition to our presence and/or to guns on campus - now or if campus carry became law.

Given that the Walk was held on a school day, the opportunity for exposure was tremendous - but what most surprised me was the number of students who a) didn't notice, or b) weren't concerned. By itself, those things aren't surprising, but we were told by multiple students that OSU **did not send out any kind of alert** that we (17 or 18 of us) would be on campus!

Watch the videos and read the considerable number of articles and you'll get a good flavor for things.

Finally, THANKS SO MUCH again to those who drove great distances and/or took off work to attend. It was an honor to be with everyone yesterday.

Got Freedom?

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Where can we find the videos of the college students thanking you and the high school students?
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Chuck wrote:Where can we find the videos of the college students thanking you and the high school students?
The high school students are on the event page, and I think that at least one student who thanked us was caught on video.

Got Freedom?

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Like you said, there's a LOT on that event page.
I watched a lot of videos so far, I was hoping I didn't have to watch them all

Never mind if it's too much trouble to link, I'll find it
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)