Geauga Co.

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Coffeedave

Geauga Co.

Post by Coffeedave »

I would like to Renew my CCWP in Geauga Co. Can any one tell me thier experience?
pirateguy191

Re: Geauga Co.

Post by pirateguy191 »

Great experience on my initial and renewal. No new application needed since I got my initial license there. About 4 day turnaround.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Coffeedave

Post by Coffeedave »

Thanks for your answer. Did you have to make an Apointment or just walk in?
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Coffeedave wrote:Thanks for your answer. Did you have to make an Apointment or just walk in?
Geauga County is first come, first served. No appointment necessary.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

Coffeedave

Post by Coffeedave »

Thanks again
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

If your current license is in another county, and you plan to renew in Geauga, they want your original certificate (make copy for them, and take both with you, as they will keep whatever you give them), and even though the ORC says you don't need it for a renewal (same with the certificate), you also have to supply your addresses from 18yrs old on the app. When you renew there from another county, they treat it like a new application. I know their requirements are not in line with the laws requirements, but that is what they want. Unless it has changed since I renewed last. I was already expired when I renewed, so I didn't push the issue, and never followed up with them afterwards.
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Just an FYI.....both Lake and Portage are in and out with your license in 30 minutes.

Anthd

Post by Anthd »

I would avoid Geauga if at all possible. I waited over 40 days only to get a denial letter in the mail. Also, their customer service is non existent. They never answered 1 phone call or returned a single message. I went to lake county and had my license in my hand in an hour, plus the sheriffs there were awesome. Lake county all the way if you can. Oh, Geauga was more than happy to take my money though.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"

General George Washington
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

I do believe that's the first negative experience I've heard about Geauga County.

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Agreed ( http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic. ... a#p4354248" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ).

I'm very sorry to hear of your bad experience there, Anthd. About when did your experience take place?
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

My latest renewal in Geauga wasn't the greatest. When I handed the deputy my chl and drivers license, he got rather agitated that the address on my chl was different from the one on my license. I told him that I sent a letter notifying him that my address had changed, and asked what I was supposed to do, he responded back with "you're supposed to call and ask". He finished fishing my file out of the cabinet and saw the notification letter and remarked " oh you did notify us that your address changed " and that was the end of it. I got a call a day later that my chl was ready for pickup. Once the address fiasco got straightened out, the renewal went fine.

He did say that I could be cited for failure to notify of an address change, although I double checked the orc and there still isn't a punishment laid out for violating that section. But meh, whatever. Just tell em you moved within 45 days and avoid the problem entirely.
I've had consistently good results with ether.
Anthd

Post by Anthd »

I went there last December. I have to say, the reason I went there was because I heard so many good things. My experience was awful however. I guess I shouldn't blame the sheriffs, they were super busy. The only bad part of Lake county was the 2 week wait for an appointment, but they went above and beyond what they were required to do to help me out, plus same day issue of license was a bonus. My step father swears by Guauge county and so does my LEO friend. I don't know. Hopefully you're experience will be better. Good luck
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"

General George Washington