psychological observation about OC in a crowded restaurant

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: psychological observation about OC in a crowded restaura

Post by WY_Not »

Let us call it what it is a "literacy" test and poll tax. Wrong then and wrong now.

[quote="MyWifeSaidYes"]You spent money on an unfunded mandate (training) just so you could have the privilege of paying a tax (CHL fee) in order to cover your handgun with a piece of fabric...

...Concealed carry. Illegal in Ohio since 1859 (and it is still illegal without paying a tax).
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Gramps.....there are many on this board that regularly OC, including me, and they will tell you the same thing, that there is hardly EVER any problems, BUT, there is always the chance that you run into some anti that has drank the kool aid and will be a waste of your time, trying to have a rational conversation.

Then there's the law enforcement officer(s), at least some anyways, that are anti carry, (especially open carry), how you deal with that is up to you ! :wink:

......and i noticed you got some free education from MWSY too ! :P

I was once "much" greener and wet behind the ears, (regarding the issues MWSY spoke of), than I still am, and I've learned a lot from being around people like him who've been around the block a few times and have been in the fight much longer than I.

And by the way, we are all waiting on your report on how it went.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

I chickened out.

I did but for good reason in my opinion and honestly I am not comfortable thinking of open carrying and may never be.

After some thought with my wife and youngest grand daughter along I really felt this was not the time to assert my rights and potentially be involved in a scene with the LEO or an anti gun nut.

We spent two days (14-16 hr total) walking around, talking, eating, seeing old friends and making new ones while the wife and I looked for an open carry.

Two sets of good eyes looking at possibly a couple thousand people plus for two days for an open carry and found none. Not saying there were none but we didn't see any. We did see what looked like mace on a couple of belts and a bunch of flat black phones of some type.

Thanks for the lesson MWSY :)
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Gramps wrote:I chickened out.

I did but for good reason in my opinion and honestly I am not comfortable thinking of open carrying and may never be.
You didn't 'chicken out', you just made a choice.

To say you 'chickened out' is to imply that your choice had less value than the alternative.

Open carry or concealed carry...one is not better than the other. They are simply different choices.

I've got a buddy that thinks I'm a chicken because I won't go skydiving with him...yet he won't ride a motorcycle on the highway with me.

Just different choices for different people.

I just can't tell you how proud I am that you even considered open carry (Thank you for that. Seriously.), and I'm simply ecstatic to know that you've joined the ranks of the concealed carriers in Ohio.

:mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Type of holster retention device is always my first thought when an open carrier appears.
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

I've got a buddy that thinks I'm a chicken because I won't go skydiving with him...yet he won't ride a motorcycle on the highway with me.

Heck! I won't do either or those!

Thanks man!
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

In both cases it probably scares the hell out of the dog.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
Caleb4387

Post by Caleb4387 »

I've open carried over a year now with few positive comments and no negatives no screaming in fear and no cops called on me. its the only way to completely exercise the constitutionalright
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

Welcome to the forum Caleb4387!
Where you from?
Gramps

* TRUMP 2020 *
charliej47
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by charliej47 »

Caleb4387 wrote:I've open carried over a year now with few positive comments and no negatives no screaming in fear and no cops called on me. its the only way to completely exercise the constitutionalright
I have mostly open carried since 08.
Charles Johnson Jr
12GA. pump - Home defense
40 Cal. Main Carry
380 BUG
22lr Live fire practice
The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit. John Stuart Mill, On Liberty
(English economist & philosopher. 1806 - 1873)
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

Or perhaps we get the CHL so that we can carry a loaded handgun in the car!

Some years back, a fellow in Va or NC spoke about his experience. At that time, in that state, if you were at a bar or alcohol serving restraunt, you had to open carry. He was with 8 business associates. He took off his suit coat to enter and eat dinner. The handgun was clearly visible. Afterward, he asked the people in his group and none of them had even noticed the gun, nor did he have any reaction from the staff, etc.

My own experience, before I had my CHL, was an open carrier in the local DQ. Looked strange and then I realized he was very legal and it was good. He was at the counter and none of the staff seemed to be concerned.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

OhioPaints wrote: Some years back, a fellow in Va or NC spoke about his experience. At that time, in that state, if you were at a bar or alcohol serving restraunt, you had to open carry. He was with 8 business associates. He took off his suit coat to enter and eat dinner. The handgun was clearly visible. Afterward, he asked the people in his group and none of them had even noticed the gun, nor did he have any reaction from the staff, etc.
Forum member Schmieg reported doing that once visiting in Virginia when their law was so worded. As I recall at least one local in their group told him he was doing something illegal. Nope, as a tourist (albeit a very smart one with a law degree), Schmieg was absolutely correct. I'm sure he can retell the tale better than I'm relating it.

Truth be told I did the same thing there during that time period but was with a group of Virginia gun rights guys that..well, I still let them remove their jackets before I did. It seemed weird and of course it's no longer part of their restrictions.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Brian D. wrote:
OhioPaints wrote: Some years back, a fellow in Va or NC spoke about his experience. At that time, in that state, if you were at a bar or alcohol serving restraunt, you had to open carry. He was with 8 business associates. He took off his suit coat to enter and eat dinner. The handgun was clearly visible. Afterward, he asked the people in his group and none of them had even noticed the gun, nor did he have any reaction from the staff, etc.
Forum member Schmieg reported doing that once visiting in Virginia when their law was so worded. As I recall at least one local in their group told him he was doing something illegal. Nope, as a tourist (albeit a very smart one with a law degree), Schmieg was absolutely correct. I'm sure he can retell the tale better than I'm relating it.

Truth be told I did the same thing there during that time period but was with a group of Virginia gun rights guys that..well, I still let them remove their jackets before I did. It seemed weird and of course it's no longer part of their restrictions.
Actually, it was my brother who kept pulling my shirt back over the gun and I had to keep pulling it back up to keep it exposed. He has lived in Virginia most of his life, but he was unaware of the concealed carry law twists. I believe he now has his license since he is now retired, but, as a doctor there, he had very little opportunity to carry except on his farm. He did a lot of hunting and his wife shot a timber rattler near the house on his farm, so he wasn't hoplophobic and my father taught gun safety to his kids at an early age.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Thanks for retelling the story, Mike.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Caleb4387 wrote:I've open carried over a year now with few positive comments and no negatives no screaming in fear and no cops called on me. its the only way to completely exercise the constitutionalright
Welcome to the forum. I think peoples reactions to open carry might depend on where you are at. I'm sure that if I'd been in some other parts of the state no one would've batted an eye. No one said anything negative to the guy, and the staff didn't seem to care. Neither did most of the other patrons. It was just that there were some who were obvious in their physical reactions. I think if more good people would carry, either open or concealed, there would be less violent crime.