Fellow forum member being sprayed with Fox Labs

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

techguy85

Re: Fellow forum member being sprayed with Fox Labs

Post by techguy85 »

Bama.45 wrote:Thanks for the video post..While I wouldn't want it to take the place of my firearm..It doesn't look like a pleasant experience..The thing though about pepper spray is not spraying it upwind..And sometimes that might not be possible to avoid.
That's why I feel it is so important to know how you will react to being exposed to it. I doubt you can avoid some level of exposure to it no matter what.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

blah wrote:Should I have kept better control? yes. But you know what? As far as I was concerned the training was done at that point and my only goal was reaching the water and baby shampoo. Criticize if you want (and it's good constructive criticism) but it is what it is.
It wasn't my intent to criticize in a negative way. Just pointing out an observation as that is, after all, why we train. Given your goals, I'd say you did a good job.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

...well then. There it is. I guess we are waaay down the road past a simple QTip wipe to the corner of the eyelid as a 1st exposure level....
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

blah wrote:
curmudgeon3 wrote:Sounds like it might be a little tough defending oneself in court for using a gun against the spray. Just a guess.
Couldn't find any legal case records in a brief search.
Nor would I ever think that getting sprayed is justification for deadly force. That wasn't the point of this exercise.
Towards this end of things:

http://fox8.com/2016/09/09/three-teens- ... cleveland/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The victim was parking her car near West 65th Street and Detroit Avenue at about 7 p.m. when a boy, who appeared 13 years old, asked to use her phone. Police said the woman refused so the teen asked for money.

The woman refused again and started to walk away when two other teens ran up and used pepper spray on her, Cleveland police said. The boys tried to grab her purse, but they fled when the victim screamed.
How do we continue to protect ourselves or our loved ones after being sprayed?

At what point will you escalate to deadly force? What considerations should we keep in-mind as we draw our firearm?

If the situation escalates to the need to use deadly force to defend ourselves, how do we elaborate on this to properly communicate what we felt in the moment?

I think these are questions worth asking ourselves, in light both of the excellent exercise conducted by the OP and his friend, as well as in light of this recent event.

----

ETA:

And when it rains, it pours! :lol: I'm late reading this week's Weekend Knowledge Dump email blast from Greg Ellifritz. Within was this gem:

https://activeselfprotection.com/office ... e-suspect/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From Active Self Protection, an article (with video) with the title: "Officer Shot After Pepper Spray Fails to Subdue Suspect"

Something to keep in-mind, balancing the scenario I posed above.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Oh, and I forgot this :oops: -

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/w ... pper-spray" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An article written by Greg Ellifritz back in June of this year. It was more recently bumped in one of his e-mail blasts.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

I don't think I would draw or fire unless something else besides simply being sprayed happened. Also, being sprayed really really sucks and you might only be able to fire if you are in physical contact. I know I am not able to see much for the first few minutes after being sprayed, although I might just be too wimpy to open my eyes.
robbo

Post by robbo »

good info and video...
Seems using pepper spray has the risk of escalating the situation to the point of using deadly force.
Understandable that someone without a CCW would have it on them, - its all they have for protection
rouger10

Post by rouger10 »

Is the foam or gel any help with the "blow-back" of does the wind/environment affect those too ??

Roger
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

rouger10 wrote:Is the foam or gel any help with the "blow-back" of does the wind/environment affect those too ??

Roger
I would think even the stream type wouldn't spread out like the Fog/cone does. But I selected the cone specifically because it spreads out a little and effects a larger area.
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

This was valuable. Thanks for sharing.
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe