FUJI JAPANESE STEAK HOUSE IN SIDNEY

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

OHIOSTEVE

FUJI JAPANESE STEAK HOUSE IN SIDNEY

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

My favorite place to eat. All of a sudden posted. stopped in and talked to the owner. she let me remove the sign. They are from China. She thought since it came in a packet she had to post it.
OHIOSTEVE

Re: FUJI JAPANESE STEAK HOUSE IN SIDNEY

Post by OHIOSTEVE »

my trophy
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

OHIOSTEVE wrote:My favorite place to eat. All of a sudden posted. stopped in and talked to the owner. she let me remove the sign. They are from China. She thought since it came in a packet she had to post it.
Cool! Now I will visit!

Wait a Chinese owned Japanese restaurant!
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Nice going, OHIOSTEVE.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Way to go Steve! *That* is why I recommend not ignoring signs and carrying past them, or turning around and going elsewhere, but, if you have a moment, stop and talk with the owner or a manager and see if you might just be able to make a difference that helps us all! And if you need some assistance, consider using our No Guns = No Money Cards as a prop to break the ice and get the conversation started.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Good job!
Excellent!

Educating the public is going to be an ever lasting job for us
Thank you for carrying the torch in your corner of the world
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
STX440Case

Post by STX440Case »

Popping the cherry so to speak. . . but, the way I understand that phrase on those signs that state "Unless authorized by law" read to me that if you have your CHL you are not breaking the law regarding no guns, or am I misreading it. Thanks.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

STX440Case wrote:Popping the cherry so to speak. . . but, the way I understand that phrase on those signs that state "Unless authorized by law" read to me that if you have your CHL you are not breaking the law regarding no guns, or am I misreading it. Thanks.
In my opinion you are misreading it. Your CHL does not authorize you to carry past "no guns" signs - although there are those that will argue that phrase does do what you say, I disagree.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

STX440Case wrote:Popping the cherry so to speak. . . but, the way I understand that phrase on those signs that state "Unless authorized by law" read to me that if you have your CHL you are not breaking the law regarding no guns, or am I misreading it. Thanks.
Think Popo.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
docachna

Post by docachna »

JustaShooter wrote:
In my opinion you are misreading it. Your CHL does not authorize you to carry past "no guns" signs - although there are those that will argue that phrase does do what you say, I disagree.
I disagree, and happen to believe that those "weasel words" do, in fact, exempt concealed carry licensees from the restriction. Problem is, it's a very long bus ride to that destination, and I think it's unlikely a local cop would ever agree with me on-site. I don't really want to be a test case unless somebody else is paying my legal tab.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

pirateguy191 wrote:
Think Popo.
Exactly.
NRA Life Member

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

docachna wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
I disagree, and happen to believe that those "weasel words" do, in fact, exempt concealed carry licensees from the restriction. Problem is, it's a very long bus ride to that destination, and I think it's unlikely a local cop would ever agree with me on-site. I don't really want to be a test case unless somebody else is paying my legal tab.
Considering that exact wording is required on signs posted on government facilities, it cannot mean that you are exempt by virtue of having a CHL since the law very specifically says your CHL does not authorize you to carry into those locations.
NRA Life Member

DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

JustaShooter wrote:Considering that exact wording is required on signs posted on government facilities, it cannot mean that you are exempt by virtue of having a CHL since the law very specifically says your CHL does not authorize you to carry into those locations.
Except those places are prohibited whether or not they're posted, the posting doesn't make them so. Therefore a CHL holder is not "authorized by law" into those places, regardless of signage.

ORC 2923.126(B) states "A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places: " and then lists the enumerated CPZs. Those are places a CHL holder is not "authorized by law" to carry. Privately posted property is mentioned separately.

It's not an argument I'd want to make, but there's a non-trivial argument that at least the language is confusing. As to the argument that it's clear by the graphic, then why include the "unless authorized by law" exception? It just confuses things.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:Considering that exact wording is required on signs posted on government facilities, it cannot mean that you are exempt by virtue of having a CHL since the law very specifically says your CHL does not authorize you to carry into those locations.
Except those places are prohibited whether or not they're posted, the posting doesn't make them so. Therefore a CHL holder is not "authorized by law" into those places, regardless of signage.

ORC 2923.126(B) states "A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places: " and then lists the enumerated CPZs. Those are places a CHL holder is not "authorized by law" to carry. Privately posted property is mentioned separately.

It's not an argument I'd want to make, but there's a non-trivial argument that at least the language is confusing. As to the argument that it's clear by the graphic, then why include the "unless authorized by law" exception? It just confuses things.
And until someone is willing to be the test case, and wins, I'll continue to teach my students and tell anyone else who asks that "you are not otherwise authorized by law".
NRA Life Member

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

DontTreadOnMe wrote: It's not an argument I'd want to make, but there's a non-trivial argument that at least the language is confusing. As to the argument that it's clear by the graphic, then why include the "unless authorized by law" exception? It just confuses things.
Historically, the (privately owned) sign making companies stole that "unless otherwise authorized" verbiage from suggested language used by Ohio as a suggestion of how signs on government buildings should be phrased. The intent there was to allow carry by law enforcement. It has created a murky situation ever since.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.