Stark Co. fair posted......again.

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Stark Co. fair posted......again.

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Regarding the pics of the signage, they state that no guns are allowed in "any buildings"....Hmm that might at first glance, seem to be a legal posting but maybe not, as there are some exceptions.
It looks like they weren't posting against carry on the grounds in general.

But they posted against no knives in the buildings also, so I wonder how the kids who had animals at the fair, cut all those hay and straw bails.....Hmm. I might just call the fair board up and ask them that one. :?
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

And of course, the way I read the ORC, they can only post government facilities other than shelters, parking facilities and restrooms, and since they aren't they aren't posting the buildings that qualify as government facilities themselves and so are avoiding the shelter vs government facility entirely, and are trying to do the social engineering thing and get people to not carry since they didn't read carefully and don't know the law. The way I read the ORC, they are required to post the facilities themselves, not a blanket posting covering the entire property. And, since they didn't actually manage to post all of the entrances, some like me never actually saw a single sign.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

JustaShooter wrote:And of course, the way I read the ORC, they can only post government facilities other than shelters, parking facilities and restrooms, and since they aren't they aren't posting the buildings that qualify as government facilities themselves and so are avoiding the shelter vs government facility entirely, and are trying to do the social engineering thing and get people to not carry since they didn't read carefully and don't know the law. The way I read the ORC, they are required to post the facilities themselves, not a blanket posting covering the entire property. And, since they didn't actually manage to post all of the entrances, some like me never actually saw a single sign.
This interests me.....could you post the relevant ORC....for us dumb folk.....where it is stated that they have to post each building that is off limits to carry?
Darrel
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:And of course, the way I read the ORC, they can only post government facilities other than shelters, parking facilities and restrooms, and since they aren't they aren't posting the buildings that qualify as government facilities themselves and so are avoiding the shelter vs government facility entirely, and are trying to do the social engineering thing and get people to not carry since they didn't read carefully and don't know the law. The way I read the ORC, they are required to post the facilities themselves, not a blanket posting covering the entire property. And, since they didn't actually manage to post all of the entrances, some like me never actually saw a single sign.
This interests me.....could you post the relevant ORC....for us dumb folk.....where it is stated that they have to post each building that is off limits to carry?
2923.1212 Signage prohibiting concealed handguns.
(A) The following persons, boards, and entities, or designees, shall post in the following locations a sign that contains a statement in substantially the following form: "Unless otherwise authorized by law, pursuant to the Ohio Revised Code, no person shall knowingly possess, have under the person's control, convey, or attempt to convey a deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance onto these premises.":

(9) The officer of this state or of a political subdivision of this state, or the officer's designee, who has charge of a building that is a government facility of this state or the political subdivision of this state, as defined in section 2923.126 of the Revised Code, and that is not a building that is used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility and is not a courthouse or other building or structure in which a courtroom is located that is subject to division (B)(3) of that section.
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Thanks cashman966! That was exactly the section I was referring to.

Of course, one of the problems is, like ORC 9.68, there is no penalty for violating that statute. And, more importantly, a CHL holder is still responsible for knowing if it is a government facility and is still breaking the law if he unknowingly carries into an unposted government facility.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I have been giving this more thought. Let's make a statewide effort next year to attend these "problem children" county fairs while in OC mode. A few weeks beforehand, OFCC should break out the letterhead stationery and serve notice of our intent, copies to local media outlets and the county sheriff office. Announce and put together a meet up and have at least a dozen go in together. Video/audio. Send a copy of that to the media afterwards.

Obviously we won't (and don't need to) hit more than the top six or so blatant law breaking fairs. Most don't pull this stuff any longer. And (not under OFCC auspices) a few of us successfully challenged those signs in the past; groups of five or so walking together, recording any encounters, backed them off.

Of course doing all this as OFCC activity would require the approval of Top Brass. And by that I mean Jeff Garvas; when one requests a tune they should speak to the organ grinder, not the monkey. That's your cue, J.G....without him we're just individuals not allowed to brand these activities as OFCC-sanctioned.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Brian D. wrote:I have been giving this more thought. Let's make a statewide effort next year to attend these "problem children" county fairs while in OC mode. A few weeks beforehand, OFCC should break out the letterhead stationery and serve notice of our intent, copies to local media outlets and the county sheriff office. Announce and put together a meet up and have at least a dozen go in together. Video/audio. Send a copy of that to the media afterwards.

Obviously we won't (and don't need to) hit more than the top six or so blatant law breaking fairs. Most don't pull this stuff any longer. And (not under OFCC auspices) a few of us successfully challenged those signs in the past; groups of five or so walking together, recording any encounters, backed them off.

Of course doing all this as OFCC activity would require the approval of Top Brass. And by that I mean Jeff Garvas; when one requests a tune they should speak to the organ grinder, not the monkey. That's your cue, J.G....without him we're just individuals not allowed to brand these activities as OFCC-sanctioned.
I owe a return call to Howard Call, the executive director of the Ohio Fair Managers Association. It was suggested by one of the recently contacted ag societies that letting the Association know about R.C. 9.68 would be an effective way to get the information out to everyone. This could potentially be a way to get that info out in an ongoing manner so we don't have to keep fighting this issue every time a new group of fair board members gets elected.

Once I've talked to the director, I'll start a topic about it.

In the meantime I'm all for an OFCC-sanctioned "Open Carry Day at the Stark County Fair".
MyWifeSaidYes
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:In the meantime I'm all for an OFCC-sanctioned "Open Carry Day at the Stark County Fair".
I, Mrs. JustaShooter, and several of my friends would undoubtedly enjoy attending!
NRA Life Member

3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

JustaShooter wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:In the meantime I'm all for an OFCC-sanctioned "Open Carry Day at the Stark County Fair".
I, Mrs. JustaShooter, and several of my friends would undoubtedly enjoy attending!
Well the Stark fair is over now but count me in next year.
The sign wasn't really banning carry "on" the grounds, it was banning carry in "all" the buildings which wasn't legal.
If there is going to be any "gatherings" this year we need to check the fairs that have yet to start and check for problem cases

The bigger issue this year, (at Stark), might have been the Sheriff's deputies that followed Justashooter and his wife around, though they didn't bother me.
And I don't know if Justashooter is going to pursue "that" issue any further or not.
I know the person he should contact at the sheriffs dept. about it if he wants.
Darrel
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I owe a return call to Howard Call, the executive director of the Ohio Fair Managers Association. It was suggested by one of the recently contacted ag societies that letting the Association know about R.C. 9.68 would be an effective way to get the information out to everyone. This could potentially be a way to get that info out in an ongoing manner so we don't have to keep fighting this issue every time a new group of fair board members gets elected.

Once I've talked to the director, I'll start a topic about it.
Something that should be a part of that education in my opinion would be the distinction between shelters, buildings, and actual government facilities so they only post the correct facilities. They are going to have to work pretty hard to convince me that those barns, even the fancy ones with concrete floors, are anything other than shelters no matter what they are used for during the fair...
NRA Life Member

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:
The sign wasn't really banning carry "on" the grounds, it was banning carry in "all" the buildings which wasn't legal.
If there is going to be any "gatherings" this year we need to check the fairs that have yet to start and check for problem cases

The bigger issue this year, (at Stark), might have been the Sheriff's deputies that followed Justashooter and his wife around, though they didn't bother me.
And I don't know if Justashooter is going to pursue "that" issue any further or not.
I'm still considering what, if anything, I should do. On the one hand, they only temporarily interrupted my enjoyment of the band. On the other hand, if that is how they are dealing with other carriers at the fair, then I wonder if it is a department policy. If so, I have more of a problem with it.
NRA Life Member

Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

JustaShooter wrote:
I am not an open carrier, but I might come along for the fun. I would open carry for that.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:...Well the Stark fair is over now but count me in next year.
I'm in this for the long game. :wink:
3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:The bigger issue this year, (at Stark), might have been the Sheriff's deputies that followed Justashooter and his wife around, though they didn't bother me...
JustaShooter wrote:I'm still considering what, if anything, I should do. On the one hand, they only temporarily interrupted my enjoyment of the band. On the other hand, if that is how they are dealing with other carriers at the fair, then I wonder if it is a department policy. If so, I have more of a problem with it.
"Following" is not a problem for me. Everyone needs an entourage...makes you look important. :wink: :P

"Harassment" is the problem. And I don't mean them approaching you (as opposed to stopping you) and asking if you would consider taking the gun back to your car...once. I actually expect that, especially in northeastern Ohio.

The problem is going to be when they make contact more than once. This is where their radios work against them. "Making contact with a white male, 6 foot, wearing a funny hat..." "Making contact with a white female wearing a pink handgun..." Now dispatch knows what's going on, there's no reason for the next LEO to make contact without RAS or PC.
MyWifeSaidYes
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Should have had some fun with the tail. Call the local sheriff's office and report some creepy looking fellow that keeps following you around the fair grounds. OR do like they teach the kids and start screaming "STRANGER DANGER!" while pointing at him. :twisted: Treat them as they behave. They want to act like creepy stalkers then treat them as such.
3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:

Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

WY_Not wrote:Should have had some fun with the tail. Call the local sheriff's office and report some creepy looking fellow that keeps following you around the fair grounds. OR do like they teach the kids and start screaming "STRANGER DANGER!" while pointing at him. :twisted: Treat them as they behave. They want to act like creepy stalkers then treat them as such.
I like the cut of your jib. :twisted:
MyWifeSaidYes