woman killed in police training exercise

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

woman killed in police training exercise

Post by M-Quigley »

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/11/us/wo ... orida.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:(
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: woman killed in police training exercise

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Back in February an Ohio man shot his roommate with a gun he thought was unloaded. He's facing Reckless Homicide charges.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

DontTreadOnMe wrote:Back in February an Ohio man shot his roommate with a gun he thought was unloaded. He's facing Reckless Homicide charges.
And then there's this:

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... 1&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But then the OP link is a new incident, from another state, and we don't know yet whether or not any charges will be filed in this incident. I'm not betting there will be, but you never know.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I found some additional info.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/08/10/wo ... ademy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A 73-year-old Florida woman taking part in a citizen police academy was shot multiple times with a revolver and killed by a police officer during a "shoot/don't shoot" role-playing exercise Tuesday, authorities said.

Mary Knowlton volunteered for the demonstration and was assigned the role of "victim," according to a Charlotte Sun photographer who covered the event. The officer who shot her was playing the "bad guy," though it's unclear why the officer's gun contained live rounds or how and where Knowlton was shot.

"We were unaware that any live ammunition was available to the officer at the time,"said Punta Gorda police Chief Tom Lewis, who also confirmed the weapon used was known to be an "actual firearm."
When I saw a news conference on TV I thought the chief said he didn't think any live ammunition was available for the gun. I couldn't find out so far with a net search just what kind or caliber revolver it was.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Shot multiple times with a revolver?? What, the first round's loudness and recoil didn't give the shooter a sense that something had gone horribly wrong?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Well, at least we're pretty sure it wasn't a revolver :D....

(Well, there is that one goofy automatic revolver - or is it two? - but I'm doubtful that the reporter would know what it was anyway.)

Sheesh....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

SMMAssociates wrote:Well, at least we're pretty sure it wasn't a revolver :D....

(Well, there is that one goofy automatic revolver - or is it two? - but I'm doubtful that the reporter would know what it was anyway.)

Sheesh....

Regards,
Well, in the video on the evening TV news, I'm pretty sure I thought I heard the chief say "revolver". He might've been misinformed though. The statement about several rounds being fired might be wrong also. Starting at 1:26 a witness says "3 maybe 4 shots"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLAiYvgT2Go" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also starting at 2:00 the chief gives a statement. The announcer claims the chief said it was a revolver, but the chief himself said,
"What I can tell you, um, is that we were unaware any live ammunition for this particular weapon existed."
Anyone have any guesses what kind of handgun that might be?
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Unlikely that it was .455 Webley.

But that also was made in a semi-auto version.

Wesley Fosberry Semi auto revolver 1896
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

By "existed" I took it to mean no such ammunition was present at the site, or so they thought. As most here know, even the most obscure caliber stuff is still available someplace. The cowboy action game alone has put several old chamberings back on production lines.

********************************************************************************
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Brian D. wrote:Shot multiple times with a revolver?? What, the first round's loudness and recoil didn't give the shooter a sense that something had gone horribly wrong?
According to this story, they were using blanks Punta Gorda police thought gun that killed woman only had blanks
Brian D. wrote:By "existed" I took it to mean no such ammunition was present at the site, or so they thought. As most here know, even the most obscure caliber stuff is still available someplace. The cowboy action game alone has put several old chamberings back on production lines.
Yes I think that's clearly what he meant. He wasn't suggesting they were using some C&R piece during this roleplay.
(Punta Gorda police Chief) Lewis said he could not talk about the gun used due to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement investigation, but explained that only some officers have access to that weapon and it has been used before at similar events. He said his department believed the gun only had blanks available and was not sure how the gun had real bullets nor how it being loaded was missed.
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

There is more coming out about the police officer who apparently has a very checkered past performance. Seems to have serious judgment issues with one lawyer saying it was a matter of time until he killed someone.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Of course at close distance, blanks can be lethal. Often find myself wishing spokespersons would either tell the whole story at once. When that's not advisable I wish they would say nothing.

deanimator

Post by deanimator »

The whole thing reflects insane levels of gross negligence, recklessness and incompetence.

Needless to say, the victim's family will be treated like garbage when they sue.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

Fundamental rules of gun safety not followed. Why would they use real guns when you have private citizens involved in this type of exercise? This is beyond reckless IMHO.
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

I saw a picture taken of the officer right before the shooting, he was holding perhaps a J-frame revolver. It may have been possible since it would've been a .38 Special (or .357) that the department didn't have any ammo for said gun.

Regardless, even with blanks, you don't aim right at the person. I shot a 12 gauge blank at a log once, the cardboard plug went 1" into the wood. Most blanks would have some sort of plug which would be enough to injure someone.

But don't point a gun right at someone you don't want to shoot! :evil:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George