Fellow forum member being sprayed with Fox Labs

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

techguy85

Fellow forum member being sprayed with Fox Labs

Post by techguy85 »

I am not sure what his name is on the forum here but one of our members is a good friend of mine and has been wanting to see how it feels to take a spray of pepper spray so he knows what he is deploying.
Here's the video.
My poor wife was taking the video and caught a bit of it floating in the air, so sorry for the end of the video. Hard to be upset with her in any way though, you'll see that I stupidly walk into the cloud of it still lingering as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es5BfY03wyc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Fellow forum member being sprayed with Fox Labs

Post by TSiWRX »

techguy85 wrote:...you'll see that I stupidly walk into the cloud of it still lingering as well.
First, as a married man of many years, myself - I'd never hear the end of that..... :oops: :P :lol:

Second, and more seriously -

Given the fact that you walked into the residual cloud, how does the choice between aerosol versus gel come into play for you, given your vision limitations? Can you deliver a gel with sufficient accuracy, given the range of these devices?
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Whirlwind06 »

So does he feel like he could have gotten off a shot?
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

TSiWRX wrote:
techguy85 wrote:...you'll see that I stupidly walk into the cloud of it still lingering as well.
First, as a married man of many years, myself - I'd never hear the end of that..... :oops: :P :lol:

Second, and more seriously -

Given the fact that you walked into the residual cloud, how does the choice between aerosol versus gel come into play for you, given your vision limitations? Can you deliver a gel with sufficient accuracy, given the range of these devices?
I selected the fog pattern on the advice of my pepper spray instructor (Greg Elifritz from Active Response Training) for that very reason.
It does put it out in a pretty wide area but the advantage to that is that I can actually see the spray so can walk it on target if I'm not on target to begin with.
I've actually been sprayed with it myself before so even if I do get some on me I know what to expect.
It is extremely unpleasant as I said in the video but if you know what to expect you can deal with it.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Whirlwind06 wrote:So does he feel like he could have gotten off a shot?
He wasn't sure. He did get a simulated shot off but we don't think he was on target.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

That was interesting to watch. How long did it take him to recover?
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Mr. Glock wrote:That was interesting to watch. How long did it take him to recover?
15 minutes initially to be semi-functional but keep in mind we had effective decontamination in the form of baby shampoo and lots of cold water immediately available. The full effects took more like 1.5 hours to go completely away.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

He was certainly still able to draw, and of course fire in some direction. When we talk about incapacitating someone, that ain't quick or effective enough. My point being I wouldn't use pepper spray against a gun unless it's all I had.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

Brian D. wrote:
He was certainly still able to draw, and of course fire in some direction. When we talk about incapacitating someone, that ain't quick or effective enough. My point being I wouldn't use pepper spray against a gun unless it's all I had.
Absolutely agree with Brian; not at all a replacement for a firearm, not even a poor substitute. But it is my opinion that we come into contact with a lot more situations that are potential non-deadly threats and pepper spray is potentially quite an effective answer to that kind of attack.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

techguy85 wrote: I selected the fog pattern on the advice of my pepper spray instructor (Greg Elifritz from Active Response Training) for that very reason.
It does put it out in a pretty wide area but the advantage to that is that I can actually see the spray so can walk it on target if I'm not on target to begin with.
I've actually been sprayed with it myself before so even if I do get some on me I know what to expect.
It is extremely unpleasant as I said in the video but if you know what to expect you can deal with it.
Gotcha - good to know. :) That was what I'd expected, that you'd worked out the gel/fog choice before-hand, and I wanted to know what drove you to one versus the other. Thanks for the detailed explanation!
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

I've been sprayed many times by the Army for training (and once while on duty because a partner was an idiot). Part of the training regimen involves maintaining firearms retention, engaging suspects using unarmed self-defense tactics (including putting hand irons on them), and using a baton.

All while suffering from the spray.

It sucks.

Good training, though. My only criticism is that he dropped his sidearm after the training shot. I understand why (because getting sprayed sucks), but he should have maintained positive control. In a "real life" scenario, he would have just given up his weapon to the assailant.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

sodbuster95 wrote:I've been sprayed many times by the Army for training (and once while on duty because a partner was an idiot). Part of the training regimen involves maintaining firearms retention, engaging suspects using unarmed self-defense tactics (including putting hand irons on them), and using a baton.

It sucks.

Good training, though. My only criticism is that he dropped his sidearm after the training shot. I understand why (because getting sprayed sucks), but he should have maintained positive control. In a "real life" scenario, he would have just given up his weapon to the assailant.
Agreed and I'm sure he would agree as well. I walked over there to pick up the gun and walked into the cloud of spray hanging in the air. You can watch me immediately notice and jump back out of the way :lol:

Part of it may have also been that he was going for the bucket of water and didn't want to get my gun in the water. I'm sure the Glock would have been fine but not sure if my crimson trace would have taken kindly to that.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

sodbuster95 wrote:I've been sprayed many times by the Army for training (and once while on duty because a partner was an idiot). Part of the training regimen involves maintaining firearms retention, engaging suspects using unarmed self-defense tactics (including putting hand irons on them), and using a baton.

It sucks.

Techguy really did a good thing here with the video. As far as the unexpected "collateral damage" to his brave crew :) goes, my captain at the FD has a saying: "It's not good training unless someone gets hurt, or something gets broken." He states that mostly in jest.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

That. Was. Awesome.

:D
MyWifeSaidYes
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Thank you!
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)