Liberty Center now CPZ

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

wls

Liberty Center now CPZ

Post by wls »

Just noticed the roads into Liberty Center are now posted.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Liberty Center now CPZ

Post by Cruiser »

wls wrote:Just noticed the roads into Liberty Center are now posted.
Are you talking about a town?
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Just for clarity let's be a little more specific about the location: It's a new retail/lodging/residential complex off I-75 exit #24 (?) in Butler County. Since there are apartments-townhomes there along with the stores, restaurants and hotels, this sounds like more reason to urge the current OGA lineup to step back a skosh from their absolutist view that "Private property rights must not be questioned!"

I think an interesting discussion will ensue here very quickly.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
wls

Post by wls »

Liberty Center is an outdoor shopping center in Butler county. Opened less then a year ago and as just posted. I believe the developer is the same one who developed Easton in Columbus.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I wonder if the people who live there were told before renting/buying a home that they would have to sacrifice their 2A rights?
The Ohio Constitution is similarly pesky about protecting one's right to keep and bear arms.

********************************************************************************
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

The road going by there, and the township it's located in, already had the name Liberty. The developer must have a keen sense of humor.

JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

I'm wondering if they are posted because of the Facebook issue from a group a few days ago. Supposedly some people were stopped for sitting on the curb next to their racer style car. Security told them to move along to which they gave some push back on as they were waiting for a friend. The police (which they always have 1-2 deputies assigned there) came over and in their talking noticed one of them had a firearm. They told them it was a CPZ.

The Facebook police then went on about it being posted, advising to contact attorneys for how they were handled, yada, yada, yada. And now it's posted. I would say the two went hand in hand.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

If I'd bought a townhouse there and suddenly seen No Guns signs afterwards, someone in the ownership group would be getting a kick in the jimmies. Maybe literally.

JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Brian D. wrote:If I'd bought a townhouse there and suddenly seen No Guns signs afterwards, someone in the ownership group would be getting a kick in the jimmies. Maybe literally.
I would sorta concur, but it's actually been on the rules since they opened. I know, I was there the first week they opened the center (before housing opened) and saw the code of conduct or whatever you want to call it. So I would assume they advised tenants of that since day one.

Now, what would be interesting is how 2923.126(C)(3)(b) comes into play...

A landlord may not prohibit or restrict a tenant who is a licensee and who on or after September 9, 2008, enters into a rental agreement with the landlord for the use of residential premises, and the tenant's guest while the tenant is present, from lawfully carrying or possessing a handgun on those residential premises.

So they can't restrict the tenant in their apartment. I would say premises even covers some of the grounds, so what extent is "residential" vs "commercial"?
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

That part of the ORC is what would have me fired up if I lived there.

Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

wls wrote:Liberty Center is an outdoor shopping center in Butler county. Opened less then a year ago and as just posted. I believe the developer is the same one who developed Easton in Columbus.
For the sake of clarity it is also a town North East of Lima in Ohio.

http://libertycentervillage.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Abandon ye all HOPE!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I visit Cabela's across the road from Liberty Center once in a while. Next time there I'll waste a few No Guns = No Money cards on the management of the complex.

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Wait.

We are OKAY with telling a LANDLORD, the legal owner of a parcel of private property, that they CANNOT restrict firearm possession from their 'residential' tenants?

But in the next breath, we are OKAY with the LANDLORD, the legal owner of a parcel of private property, that they CAN restrict firearm possession to their 'commercial' tenants?

Really?

Oops. Sorry, I forgot that "it's different".
MyWifeSaidYes
J_86

Post by J_86 »

Well, I find this very interesting. I live at one of the Liberty Center apartment buildings.

I had not noticed the new signs , when I saw this I walked around and sure enough they are posted now. They must of just gone up in the last few weeks. :evil:
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

J_86 wrote:Well, I find this very interesting. I live at one of the Liberty Center apartment buildings.

I had not noticed the new signs , when I saw this I walked around and sure enough they are posted now. They must of just gone up in the last few weeks. :evil:
Well, if you make inquiries, please share what you learn with us here on the forum.