Duct/Vent cleaning...

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Duct/Vent cleaning...

Post by Jake »

Quoted $174 +$15/vent.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
McM

Post by McM »

Expensive, but worth it. We've had the service done twice in eight years, including once after an addition project.

I would wait until after the pollen hits this Spring though, if you can wait.
Not one of the " 'more-equal animals' ".

Hippies make me laugh. Bleeding hippies make me laugh REALLY HARD! -Morne
tmcblane

Post by tmcblane »

Thanks Newcomer and Jake. We just bought a rental and I was thinking of getting them cleaned. That is not to hateful if they do a good job. I did find that Sears does it for $144 and that includes I think it said 8 openings and then it is like $15 per vent after that.
FireEMSPolice
*** Banned ***

Post by FireEMSPolice »

Interesting. I live in a 10 year old (approx) apartment building. I wonder if I should get this done just as a preventative measure.
Wileyone

Post by Wileyone »

My buddy and neighbor has a vacuum truck. Good guy, if you want his info PM me.
Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel-plated sissy pistol.
Fonejack54

Post by Fonejack54 »

Wow, good prices.My quote for 13 ducts was like 5-6 hundred dollars. I would have let them done it for $175. Used a high priced company because I went to elementary school with the owner. So much for sentimental rates.
'The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!'" Eleanor Roosevelt

"For me to live is Christ, to die is gain" Apostle Paul
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

We've decided to wait for now.
Looking at some home improvement projects that surely will create dust.

I took the shop vac and hit what I could. There was a fair amount visible to my "nekked" eyes. :shock:
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

I had mine done a few years ago when Mrs Price was pregnant and freaking out about every little thing. When I bought the house there was a colony of cats living in the crawl space and they had infiltrated the cold-air returns. After getting rid of them and fixing the ducts I never thought about it again. The company that did our carpets did our ducts, and there was so much crap in there it was unreal. They can't do that great a job on flexible plastic ducts (they can tear when they scrub) but the cold air returns alone sounded like the sawdust sucker at the high school wood shop when they were sucking it.
Allergies definitely better now; I use a shop vac and about 3 sections of hose now and suck them myself every year.

One thing to be especially careful about if you have central A/C- you must inspect and clean the face of the "A"-coil inside the feed duct- it's usually at the heat exchanger- even with good filters and being good about hcanging them you get a lot of crud that builds up on the face of the coil- really reduces the efficiency of the system. Every couple years I break open the ductwork and use a spray coil cleaner chemical and a warm-water hose to clean the "A"-coil and inside the plenum and run a bottle brush through the A/C drain line. Ever have a drain line back up? You fill the plenum with water and get mold growing inside the plenum in the fiberglas and you will have an expensive bill not to mention a mess.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
slie123

Post by slie123 »

evan price wrote:I had mine done a few years ago when Mrs Price was pregnant and freaking out about every little thing. When I bought the house there was a colony of cats living in the crawl space and they had infiltrated the cold-air returns. After getting rid of them and fixing the ducts I never thought about it again. The company that did our carpets did our ducts, and there was so much crap in there it was unreal. They can't do that great a job on flexible plastic ducts (they can tear when they scrub) but the cold air returns alone sounded like the sawdust sucker at the high school wood shop when they were sucking it.
Allergies definitely better now; I use a shop vac and about 3 sections of hose now and suck them myself every year.

One thing to be especially careful about if you have central portand dryer vent cleaning service- you must inspect and clean the face of the "A"-coil inside the feed duct- it's usually at the heat exchanger- even with good filters and being good about hcanging them you get a lot of crud that builds up on the face of the coil- really reduces the efficiency of the system. Every couple years I break open the ductwork and use a spray coil cleaner chemical and a warm-water hose to clean the "A"-coil and inside the plenum and run a bottle brush through the A/C drain line. Ever have a drain line back up? You fill the plenum with water and get mold growing inside the plenum in the fiberglas and you will have an expensive bill not to mention a mess.
Do you suggest me best chemical reagent to clean the duct?
henery77

Post by henery77 »

Hello,

Can anyone tell me How much charges are taken by cleaning services for duct clean?
I'm looking for the best cleaning services.... reply me if you know.
Thanks.....