Almost had a bad night

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

CombatShotgunner

Almost had a bad night

Post by CombatShotgunner »

Took dad to Denny's after work around 2am. He has Alzheimer's and I wanted to get him out of the house because he was going stir crazy. I don't need to justify why I took him out, I'm just setting the scene. My 19 year old was with me as well. There was a guy about 60 talking about all kinds of stuff. He was talking about the parade saying he heard about a shooting and the cops had to shoot someone about 1000 times. I asked if he was talking about the shooting in Cleveland and immediately realized I should have just not said anything because he came over by us and everyone in the room looked at me with that "you're a dumb*** (Edited Djmac)" look. This guy was talking about his special car that runs on gas and MAP gas. His dad was a millionaire. He was with Dark Ops and needed to get back to Paris tonight. Needed 50 bucks to get to the airport. I said no. He starts rambling all kinds of whacked stuff. Said he'd killsomeone for fifty bucks and started getting agitated. My dad with Alzheimer's asked how do you say shut up in black people talk. NOT A GOOD IDEA. I told dad to shut up. My son went into high alert. We train for stuff like this. He knows to either evac dad or stuff him under a table of stuff goes south. The guy respond with someone I won't type and stormed out. After we got home my son and I did an after action briefing with each other about what we did good or bad and what we should have done. I looked at where I was sitting compared to everyone else and what I could do better. I need to improve in some areas because although I was sitting with my back against the wall and a full view of the store I was also looked behind a table I'd have to knock over to draw and my son would have had a hard time getting dad out. Tonight I'm going to Denny's alone to "reenact the scenario and find a better vantage point since we go there once a week. I lost my train of thought now. Does anyone ever have experiences and sit an analyze them afterwards?
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Almost had a bad night

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

CombatShotgunner wrote:... Does anyone ever have experiences and sit an analyze them afterwards?
Yep.
MyWifeSaidYes
dingode

Post by dingode »

First off, sorry to hear you dad has Alzheimers. My mom passed away from it about 3 years ago. Terrible disease.

Other than that, glad that you and your son have an action plan worked out and if need be you both know what to do. To me it sounds like you did fine, especially discussing it afterwards and finding where to improve in the future.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I fully understand the difficulties of Alzheimer's. Not trying to find fault, don't take it that way. If you can find some 24 hour restaurant that doesn't attract cuckoo birds like the fellow you met, it would be a good thing. Not sure that's possible.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

Brian D. wrote:I fully understand the difficulties of Alzheimer's. Not trying to find fault, don't take it that way. If you can find some 24 hour restaurant that doesn't attract cuckoo birds like the fellow you met, it would be a good thing. Not sure that's possible.
I was thinking the same thing but maybe the OP only had a window of time. I have met several over the years like the "A couple bricks shy of a load" dudes and It is never an easy situation alone let alone with a son and father to be concerned with.

Learn and live...........

Gramps
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

You never know when it will happen, but when it happens, you will know. AARs are a good way to think about it, but it will never be the exact same again.

I used to haunt the 24 hour places in the wee hours of the AM back in my younger party days, they are like a full moon every night.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
CombatShotgunner

Thanks everyone. usually we go on my days off but this time I just thought it was a Tuesday and it would be slow. nothing else is ever open so it was our only choice to get out.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

Seems to me you need more practice on how to end an unwanted conversation. Practice some "Talk to the hand" drills.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
CombatShotgunner

I pretty much just started ignoring him which in the end just seem to agitate him even more.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I run into guys like that every once in a while. Could be anywhere, any time day or night. They are usually just an annoyance but you never know. Comforting to know I have a "friend" in reserve if things get too crazy.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

CombatShotgunner wrote:immediately realized I should have just not said anything
There's your answer. CroManGun suggests you learn how to end unwanted conversations, and I suggest you not even start them. "Don't talk to strangers" our Moms used to tell us as kids. I knew a guy who used to ride the city bus...he always took a paperback book to bury his face in so he wouldn't risk making eye contact with any psychos.
Give em' Hell Pike!!!