Positive OC Encounter at Krogers in Groveport

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Positive OC Encounter at Krogers in Groveport

Post by 18M_RWR »

I stopped at the Kroger in Groveport today for some flu medicine and after getting some I decided to peruse the snack isle. As I was standing there trying to decide which bag of chips I wanted (but shouldn't be buying) I saw a middle aged female Kroger employee coming down the isle pushing a stock cart.

As she approached me she said "I'm glad to see you have a ccw". I simple said thank you (I was actually open carrying using my IWB holster as I am still waiting for my CHL to be processsed). She went on to say "We need more responsible people carrying, there are just too many crazy people out there. I always feel safer when I see some has a ccw. In fact I don't like going into any place that has the no firearms signs."

I said I agree we need more responsible people carrying. And that I also don't like to go into any place that doesn't allow firearms. She then thanked me for making her feel safer. I believe she worked in meat department as she had the typical white butchers apron on and was headed that way.

She really made my day :D as I have felt like crap all day think I am finally catching the crap that has been going around work....
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Positive OC Encounter at Krogers in Groveport

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

18M_RWR wrote:... I have felt like crap all day think I am finally catching the crap that has been going around work....
Nah.

You're experiencing 'shooter's withdrawal'.

No, not THAT kind of shooting...I mean gun shooting.

Run up to Vance's in Obetz and put some lead downrange. :mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Nah.

You're experiencing 'shooter's withdrawal'.

No, not THAT kind of shooting...I mean gun shooting.

Run up to Vance's in Obetz and put some lead downrange. :mrgreen:
Range time is Wednesday night at Ohio Valley Outdoors in Lancaster..... seems to be a weekly date lately :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
2nd date with my new XD Mod.2 3" 9mm subcompact and probably show my XD-S 3.3" 9mm (current EDC) a lil love as well :D
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

I'm not sure about this Krogers but I know that some if not most Krogers have wine and beer tastings.

If I remember right carrying without a CHL where alcohol is being consumed is against the law here in Ohio.

Am I remembering this correctly?
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

troy bilt wrote:I'm not sure about this Krogers but I know that some if not most Krogers have wine and beer tastings.

If I remember right carrying without a CHL where alcohol is being consumed is against the law here in Ohio.

That is correct.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

I frequent Kroger stores weekly and have seen several types of food tastings being offered but never wine or beer tastings. But maybe these Krogers you mention are much more upscale than those I frequent in central & southern Ohio.

Do these upscale wine & beer tasting Krogers you mention have a license to serve alcohol or only sell it? What locations provide this service?
Last edited by 18M_RWR on Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

18M_RWR wrote:I frequent Kroger stores weekly and have seen several types of food tastings being offered but never alcohol of any kind.

I frequent quickie stop daily. Never seen it get robbed.
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

troy bilt wrote:i frequent quickie stop daily. Never seen it get robbed.
Oh I see....
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

troy bilt wrote:I'm not sure about this Krogers but I know that some if not most Krogers have wine and beer tastings.

My local Kroger has yet to have such a thing. But Hardin County isn't "upscale" !
A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

PLEASE name the locations of these "some if not MOST" Kroger stores that have wine AND beer tastings for me. So I can be sure to NEVER enter there premises even after I finally receive my CHL.
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

18M_RWR wrote:

PLEASE name the locations of these "some if not MOST" Kroger stores that have wine AND beer tastings for me. So I can be sure to NEVER enter there premises even after I finally receive my CHL.
Why would you choose to not patronize after receiving your CHL? Its Ohio law not Kroger law :roll:

PLEASE research witch establishments you choose to OC in before hand. Its not my job to do that for you.
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

troy bilt wrote:Its not my job to do that for you.
I was just looking for an example of such a Kroger store you mentioned above or have you never actually seen this take place in a Kroger store?. Also so that I adhere to Ohio law; in these Kroger stores that you've seen having wine and beer tasting was there any way to know they were serving alcohol at time prior to entering the store or did you just happen to see it in a random isle within the store? Asking so that when I do my research in which establishments I choose to OC in I am doing it correctly.

Maybe I should never OC in any business/establishment, I mean how would I know if they would spontaneously decide to have a wine and beer tasting.
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

18M_RWR wrote:
I was just looking for an example of such a Kroger store you mentioned above or have you never actually seen this take place in a Kroger store?. Also so that I adhere to Ohio law; in these Kroger stores that you've seen having wine and beer tasting was there any way to know they were serving alcohol at time prior to entering the store or did you just happen to see it in a random isle within the store? Asking so that when I do my research in which establishments I choose to OC in I am doing it correctly.

Maybe I should never OC in any business/establishment, I mean how would I know if they would spontaneously decide to have a wine and beer tasting.
Almost ANY Kroger CAN have a wine tasting, I believe
I know for a fact that the one in Pataskala has had them in the past.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

18M_RWR wrote: Do these upscale wine & beer tasting Krogers you mention have a license to serve alcohol or only sell it? What locations provide this service?
The ones that do tastings definitely have the proper premises-consumption licenses. Big as Kroger is, the Ohio Department of Liquor Control wouldn't overlook a violation of that nature. Maybe the state would rather issue fines than sell the proper licenses, if the truth be told, from a revenue standpoint. But if a business is willing to pony up the licensing fee, ODLC will sell them the piece of paper instead.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

18M_RWR wrote:

As long as the consumption isn't taking place at the time you are there, it doesn't matter. And once you have your CHL, it doesn't matter either. But certainly, there are places that aren't restaurants or bars that have Class D licenses and occasionally have wine / beer tastings. I know the Giant Eagle near my office has occasional wine events on Friday evenings. So therefore it is wise to be prudent and observant.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!