Open Carry Virgin.....

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Open Carry Virgin.....

Post by 18M_RWR »

I submitted my CHL application (in Hocking County) yesterday. In an effort to get used to the IWB holster I have been carrying concealed in my house as others pointed out that is legal. Some also suggested that I could always open carry using my IWB holster as long as I tucked in my shirt and didn't wear anything that would cover it like a jacket or coat.

This morning I went my regular barber shop in Circleville and thought seriously about open carrying with the nice weather today. But opted to keep the gun in the truck (transported legally - unloaded in a lock box and loaded magazine in console). While I'm in the chair an older man comes in with his 3-4yo grandson. He was open carrying with an IWB holster and I sat there thinking now WHY did I leave mine in the truck. After the hair cut I stopped at Advance Auto, Bob Evans and even bought some Girl Scout cookies on the corner all while I open carried. I honestly don't think many people even noticed with it being a IWB holster.

I also stopped at the BMV which I knew was a 'no carry zone' so it stayed in the truck for that stop.

Now since I don't have my CHL yet unloading & storing in a lock box every time I have to get back into the truck is not ideal but it is manageable.
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
Brian D.

Re: Open Carry Virgin.....

Post by Brian D. »

18M_RWR wrote: Now since I don't have my CHL yet unloading & storing in a lock box every time I have to get back into the truck is not ideal but it is manageable.
Through the years I've observed that sooner or later most unlicensed OC advocates have one too many days with one too many errands that require the arm-disarm thing an annoying amount of times. Even if they remain staunch OC advocates afterwards, they are spurred to get the CHL.

And yeah, traditional style barber shops (as opposed to "stylists" at a "salon") are almost always gun-friendly. I'm not knocking the salons, just stating an observation: A few such places, including one of the big chains, posts their locations with 'No Guns' signs.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

[quote="Brian D]
Through the years I've observed that sooner or later most unlicensed OC advocates have one too many days with one too many errands that require the arm-disarm thing an annoying amount of times. Even if they remain staunch OC advocates afterwards, they are spurred to get the CHL.

And yeah, traditional style barber shops (as opposed to "stylists" at a "salon") are almost always gun-friendly. I'm not knocking the salons, just stating an observation: A few such places, including one of the big chains, posts their locations with 'No Guns' signs.[/quote]

It would definitely get tiresome if routinely making numerous errand stops for sure. Hopefully it won't take too long for my CHL to get processed and then it will no longer be an issue for me.
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I'm in Hocking county.

If you find yourself wanting to build your confidence while open carrying (which I believe helps when you start concealing), let me know and we can meet for lunch in a town of your choice.

If the weather cooperates, we can wander the streets and watch the sheep flee in horror. :P
MyWifeSaidYes
18M_RWR
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 18M_RWR »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote: If you find yourself wanting to build your confidence while open carrying (which I believe helps when you start concealing), let me know and we can meet for lunch in a town of your choice.
I agree (for me at least) about building confidence while open carrying. I had to go back into town for more truck parts :shock: and also made a stop at Walmart & Little Caesars and open carried anytime I was not in my vehicle. When I stopped at Walmart I actually parked a couple of isles over from a Sheriff's SUV with two deputies in it. I was already more confident than this morning.

Would definitely like to meet up for lunch sometime. I am near Circleville so any place that's somewhat in the middle is good for me :)
μολων λαβe
NRA Member
OFCC Member
BFA Member
dirt late model racer
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

Brian D. wrote:
18M_RWR wrote:

And yeah, traditional style barber shops (as opposed to "stylists" at a "salon") are almost always gun-friendly. I'm not knocking the salons, just stating an observation: A few such places, including one of the big chains, posts their locations with 'No Guns' signs.
The salon I patronize welcomes my OC firearm.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Truthfully I'd say most haircut businesses welcome or at least tolerate carry. My experience has been that the more fru-fru (define that for yourselves) such a place is, the more likely they post as 'No Guns' zones.

One of the first hard core carry advocates in Ohio was a hairstylist, he would look at me sideways when I'd call him a barber, his salon was expensive and in an upscale part of Cincinnati. He was the only straight male employee there. Other than coming to his senses about firearms (having hoodlums threaten your life when you're donating free haircuts to poor people in lousy neighborhoods will have that affect) Vern was politically lefty all the way.

He organized and led the first OC march in Ohio, it snowballed into forcing our state to do the right thing.

So yeah, I realize sometimes my posts make what sound like all-encompassing statements. Believe me, I know there are almost always exceptions.

********************************************************************************
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Lately I've been working on a friend's wife, who owns a salon in a "down trending" neighborhood to get her carry license, encourage her (all female) clientele and employees to do the same, and maybe OC in the meantime. Place has been held up three or four times. One robber had what looked like (on video) a fake gun; the other perps claimed to be armed but didn't show weapons. Only suggestion the police made was: 'Buy more cameras.' That pegged the lady's BS meter, to use her words.

These punk hoods see an easy mark even though the place typically wouldn't have much cash on hand. Pretty sure a friend and me OCing on one visit drove off some local predatory types but it's hard to say if they were potential crooks, or just bums. Wasn't really trying to have that affect, just worked out that way.

Open carry has its advantages, or at least that's been the conclusion I've come to.

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Brian D. wrote:...
Open carry has its advantages, or at least that's been the conclusion I've come to.
I couldn't agree more!
MyWifeSaidYes
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

I agree. Why do you think LEO open carry?.. I believe open carrying is a deterrent.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Bama.45 wrote:I agree. Why do you think LEO open carry?.. I believe open carrying is a deterrent.
Although I agree OC can be a deterrent, and I OC often, LEO open carry not as a deterrent but because 1: they are already identified as LEO by virtue of wearing the uniform and 2: faster access. Notice that plain clothes LEO do *not* OC...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

JustaShooter wrote:
Bama.45 wrote:I agree. Why do you think LEO open carry?.. I believe open carrying is a deterrent.
Although I agree OC can be a deterrent, and I OC often, LEO open carry not as a deterrent but because 1: they are already identified as LEO by virtue of wearing the uniform and 2: faster access. Notice that plain clothes LEO do *not* OC...

LEO's don't 'open carry'.

Open carry is how a citizen of Ohio exercises their Constitutional RKBA.

A LEO carries their gun according to their agency policy.
MyWifeSaidYes
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:

LEO's don't 'open carry'.

Open carry is how a citizen of Ohio exercises their Constitutional RKBA.

A LEO carries their gun according to their agency policy.

....and that policy is too......carry your gun "openly", right? Or am I missing something? Same goes for plain cloths cop?
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:...am I missing something?
Nah. I'm just stirring the pot. :twisted:
MyWifeSaidYes
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:...am I missing something?
Nah. I'm just stirring the pot. :twisted:
Pot is illegal in Ohio. Please be careful.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB