Wyman Park - McArthur Village Ordinance

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Wyman Park - McArthur Village Ordinance

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Response from reporter:
"MWSY",

Thanks for reaching out. Feel free to keep me updated on their response if you talk to them about it. It could be something for me to follow up on in the paper.

Tyler
MyWifeSaidYes
sig p516

Post by sig p516 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Since I'm about 15 miles due north of McArthur, I'll make some calls and stop in tomorrow.

If I can't get any traction in a very short time, I'll be open carrying in Wyman Park by early afternoon and, with any luck, have a minor misdemeanor charge by end of the business day.

:twisted:
Looks like a nice day for a walk in the park!
Not keen on a misdemeanor charge though!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Just an FYI, a few months ago I was pulled over in McArthur because my daughter and one of her friends (both under 16) were riding in the cargo area of my pickup truck.

The officer said they couldn't ride back there.

I asked him if I was going over the speed limit of 25 MPH. He said, "No."

I told him I thought it was legal for them to ride there IF I did not exceed 25 MPH. { R.C. 4511.51(E) }

He said, "Yes, but you're heading to Logan and the speed limit increases."

He could only have known my destination if he ran my plates. He was stopped and talking to a pedestrian when I passed him, so he didn't have a chance to run my plates until AFTER he stopped me. That means he couldn't have known where I was heading.

So, I believe this was an illegal traffic stop. He stopped me for doing something LEGAL.

I did NOT follow up on it.

I should have.
MyWifeSaidYes
sig p516

Post by sig p516 »

Overwhelming response by community individuals can be found here:

http/www.facebook.com/vintoncourier/

Even the uninformed "get it", why doesn't our so called leadership?
Liberalism is a disease.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

sig p516 wrote:Overwhelming response by community individuals can be found here:

http/www.facebook.com/vintoncourier/

Even the uninformed "get it", why doesn't our so called leadership?
Liberalism is a disease.
Fixed
https://www.facebook.com/vintoncourier/?fref=ts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Abandon ye all HOPE!
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

So, I didn't go to jail or even get a ticket. :(

What I did do is find out that the Village Solicitor did not research the issue very well.

When he read through the concealed carry section of law, he noted that "parks" weren't mentioned. He felt that they would be a "grey area".

I advised him, nicely, that the Supreme Court of Ohio had already slapped this issue with the black and white paintbrushes of case law.

He admitted that someone could challenge the ordinance. I said, "Here I am."

There will be an organizational meeting next week for the new mayor. If there is a quorum of the council present, they may be coaxed into voting on a repeal.

I'll be in touch with them on Monday to find out their schedule.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

So, I didn't go to jail or even get a ticket. :(

What I did do is find out that the Village Solicitor did not research the issue very well.

When he read through the concealed carry section of law, he noted that "parks" weren't mentioned. He felt that they would be a "grey area".

I advised him, nicely, that the Supreme Court of Ohio had already slapped this issue with the black and white paintbrushes of case law.

He admitted that someone could challenge the ordinance.......I said, "Here I am."

There will be an organizational meeting next week for the new mayor. If there is a quorum of the council present, they may be coaxed into voting on a repeal.

Here is a link to my copy of the offending ordinance: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8i62zjm8apjmy ... e.pdf?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

I've reached out to Paul McManis, Editor of their on-line newspaper, The Commoner Journal to see if he wants to run with the story.
eye95
*** Banned ***

Post by eye95 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:So, I didn't go to jail or even get a ticket. :(

He admitted that someone could challenge the ordinance.......I said, "Here I am."

Here is a link to my copy of the offending ordinance: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8i62zjm8apjmy ... e.pdf?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please keep me posted. As I am sure you recall, I have a gun, and I will travel.
Be a Madisonian.

It finally happened. I have now been accused on OFCC of both being a cop-hater and then a cop-lover! Therefore, anyone making either accusation must not be paying attention.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

There is one thing I'm a bit curious about. Did village council screw up, or the reporter? The reason I bring that up is of course we know the headline is:
McArthur bans all firearms, 'deadly weapons' in Wyman Park
Yet the third paragraph reads (emphasis added):
McArthur mirrored similar Ohio Revised Code language outlining "deadly weapons" and "dangerous ordnances." Items other than firearms like explosives and ballistic knives are included in this ban.
I'll be interested what MWSY finds out.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Never mind...
Just read their ordinance from the dropbox posted above. Yep. They screwed da' pooch.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

This is getting good.
I'm into my second bag of popcorn.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
38smith

Post by 38smith »

I am back after a long time off. I live about 10 minutes away and I guess they are going to repeal it. Was kind of hoping for a walk in the park. :)
Lthrnck

Post by Lthrnck »

Well 38Smith, after I forced the City of Englewood to change their local ordinance back in 2007, I still on a regular bases take walks through the park. This keeps them honest.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

And done.
Hello,

Just wanted to let you know the Weapons Free Zone Ordinance that was for Wyman Park in the Village of McArthur has been repealed effective January 12, 2016.

Thank you for your concern,

Janie Fannin
Fiscal Officer
Village of McArthur, Ohio
MyWifeSaidYes