Saw a Open Carryer at Wal-Mart!

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Saw a Open Carryer at Wal-Mart!

Post by JU-87 »

Hi all
I saw a guy Open Carrying at the Strongsville, Ohio, Wal-Mart on Friday 12-18-15 , at about 7pm.
He was wearing a Iraq Veteran ball cap, casual dressed, except for the M1911 (not A1) in a US military leather flap holster on the right side of his belt!
8)

I expressed my approval, and talked with him a while. I told him about OFCC, and recommended this forum.
That is the first time I have seen someone OC. Kinda neat to see. :)
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
Curzyk

Re: Saw a Open Carryer at Wal-Mart!

Post by Curzyk »

Neat. I had read somewhere once that a flap holster counts as "concealed"?
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

Curzyk wrote:Neat. I had read somewhere once that a flap holster counts as "concealed"?
I guy in West Park was arrested for carrying in holster with a flap.

Link to topic here.
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

buckeye43210 wrote:
Curzyk wrote:Neat. I had read somewhere once that a flap holster counts as "concealed"?
I guy in West Park was arrested for carrying in holster with a flap.

Link to topic here.
Thanks. That was a lot to sift through.. Long, drawn-out case ending in diversion. Here is the most relevant post in that thread:
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... 40#p366352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

That case set a rather ugly precedent.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

In either the alleged criminal case in the links, or the Walmart carrier in the OP, did the flap holster completely conceal the handgun? Or was the bottom portion of the grip visible?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

M-Quigley wrote:In either the alleged criminal case in the links, or the Walmart carrier in the OP, did the flap holster completely conceal the handgun? Or was the bottom portion of the grip visible?
If I recall the court case right, it was a holster secured by a flap on top. Not a full "hoodie" if you will, so some of the grip frame was visible. That's just my recollection.

********************************************************************************
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

Brian D. wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:In either the alleged criminal case in the links, or the Walmart carrier in the OP, did the flap holster completely conceal the handgun? Or was the bottom portion of the grip visible?
If I recall the court case right, it was a holster secured by a flap on top. Not a full "hoodie" if you will, so some of the grip frame was visible. That's just my recollection.
Basically a super-sized retention strap.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
Curzyk

Post by Curzyk »

CroManGun wrote:Basically a super-sized retention strap.
But what level retention? :lol:
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

I purchased on E bay a patent leather holster for my Model 59 S&W. It was such a great price, I couldn't pass it up. It DOES have a full flap so I think that technically makes it concealed. But with my CHL I can carry with that holster, correct? It's not my EDC and is large enough I don't I would use it as such. It was the pistol Serpico bought during his bad times with NYPD. It's a nice pistol and I do like the 17 round magazine.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Of course that's perfectly legal for a CHL holder, dcludwig. Whether it's the most practical rig is the real question.

dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

Brian D. wrote:Of course that's perfectly legal for a CHL holder, dcludwig. Whether it's the most practical rig is the real question.
No, it's not at all. I think may have a police officers dress uniform. It looks so pretty it's almost tacky. But it is well made and only cost $5. I don't get how a flap can make it concealed. Sure, it covers it up, but gosh, who couldn't tell what that was on your hip?
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

What do I keep telling you about applying your finely tuned common sense to the workings of our legal system, dc? That court case from West Park (near Cleveland) should tell you we still have some police officers, prosecutors, and judges who are driven by lefty agenda more than letter of law.

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I'm surprised that there already isn't some legal precedence or case law on the issue of flap holsters. Flap style and other holsters were discussed in a OPOTC class in 1980 r/t concealed versus open carry, but I don't know where the instructor was getting his interpretation from. Perhaps it was just his interpretation of the law. The instructor was from SW Ohio, not NE. He said basically if you could see enough of the top of the gun that it was clearly visible that a handgun was inside it, it was open carry. If the flap completely covered the top so that the only way that you could tell whether a handgun was inside the holster was by raising the flap, it might be considered concealed. In an example shown, you could clearly see the bottom portion of a handgun grip sticking out of the back of the flap holster.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Where DOES common sense enter? I mean its a HOLSTER for a GUN ... And without looking back I recall it being marked "U.S." as in military...

If I was walking down the street dragging the case of a standing bass fiddle, what would one assume is in the thing? A BABY? A TOASTER? I will venture to guess that 100% of people would assume there was a standing bass fiddle in there. Is a full flap holster the same thing? I believe yes, because I would think 100% of the people would guess a GUN was inside that holster.

Even if found out later it was not a gun but a baby or toaster under that flap, for all practical purposes, he was openly carrying a handgun...

Back to the regularly scheduled thread, I guess I don't look or am not as observant as I should be, but I've yet to spot an open carrier.

My wife thinks I'm the only one in the state of Ohio who carries a handgun...
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY