Restricting Magazine Capacity

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Restricting Magazine Capacity

Post by scottb »

If a city ordinance states that
"Automatic firearm" also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long or long-rifle cartridges."
is it a legal ordinance?

This whole definition, I believe, was a copy of the State definition. Now that the State has modified its definition, I assume that cities will, in due time, modify their ordinances as well. I will hold my breath...
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
djthomas

Re: Restricting Magazine Capacity

Post by djthomas »

If you're asking about Wooster specifically, then yes I believe it's a legal ordinance. Superfluous for sure, but not contrary to 9.68.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

You should let your city council know that they are no longer in line with the state definition of an "automatic firearm"
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

TJW815 wrote:You should let your city council know that they are no longer in line with the state definition of an "automatic firearm"
And if they wanted to be snippy about it they'd say "so what, it's not like we're actually using that definition for anything..." ;) Again, this assumes we're talking about Wooster only.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

djthomas wrote:If you're asking about Wooster specifically, then yes I believe it's a legal ordinance. Superfluous for sure, but not contrary to 9.68.
How does it not go against 9.68?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

pirateguy191 wrote:
djthomas wrote:If you're asking about Wooster specifically, then yes I believe it's a legal ordinance. Superfluous for sure, but not contrary to 9.68.
Because Wooster has no corresponding ordinance prohibiting the possession of a firearm meeting that definition. Nothing in 9.68 prohibits them from defining anything they want. It's only when they try to criminalize certain conduct contrary to state law that there's a problem. Looks to me like they cleared the books of all firearms offenses except discharging within the city limits.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

djthomas wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:
Because Wooster has no corresponding ordinance prohibiting the possession of a firearm meeting that definition. Nothing in 9.68 prohibits them from defining anything they want. It's only when they try to criminalize certain conduct contrary to state law that there's a problem. Looks to me like they cleared the books of all firearms offenses except discharging within the city limits.
Gotcha, I wasn't paying much attention.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

djthomas wrote:
TJW815 wrote:You should let your city council know that they are no longer in line with the state definition of an "automatic firearm"
And if they wanted to be snippy about it they'd say "so what, it's not like we're actually using that definition for anything..." ;) Again, this assumes we're talking about Wooster only.
I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. I mean they make good paint brushes and stuff.
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

Looks like djthomas is correct - the city of Wooster does not have an ordinance prohibiting possession. I will stick to engineering. Thanks.
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
troy bilt
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by troy bilt »

So its totally legal to walk around Wooster with a automatic firearm with no stamp :roll:
I have struggled with dyslexia my entire life. I know it's spelled wrong but thanks for pointing it out.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

troy bilt wrote:So its totally legal to walk around Wooster with a automatic firearm with no stamp :roll:
As far as the city of Wooster is concerned, yes. Ohio and Federal law, on the other hand, are an entirely different matter...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

JustaShooter wrote:
troy bilt wrote:So its totally legal to walk around Wooster with a automatic firearm with no stamp :roll:
As far as the city of Wooster is concerned, yes. Ohio and Federal law, on the other hand, are an entirely different matter...
And by the way, City of Wooster LEOs are fully empowered to arrest and charge under the pertinent state statues.