Picking up your brass??

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ESAFO

Re: Picking up your brass??

Post by ESAFO »

i clean up all of my spent casings regardless of brass or aluminum, the way i look at it is if they don't say anything prior to me entering the range than i don't ask.
it's kinda like not seeing a gun buster sign on the front door of a building, but when entering you ask someone if CC is permitted. :roll:
BOB
captainstormy

Post by captainstormy »

I've been shooting a lot more at the ODNR public ranges lately now. Typically I shoot steel cased ammo there, and I got a magnetic tool that I pick up my (and other people's) steel cases with. ( http://tinyurl.com/ohck7l4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) Makes it quick and easy.

Some of my buddies shoot brass there. There's always somebody that's more than happy to pick up the brass for them.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Bernard Books(John Wayne in The Shootist)
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

"My" club almost requires that you pick up your brass....

I say "almost" because sweeping it into a corner is OK, or if there's a few guys down there shooting, letting one of the others pick it up rather than halt the otherwise unrestrained shooting.

I've rarely seen more than six or seven shooters, so coordination is pretty simple.

Once the stuff is in the barrel, anybody who cares can root through the mess later. Casual shooters tend to just dump their brass, whereas us serious shooters tend to want to keep it. OTOH if you're not reloading (or planning to reload) a specific caliber....

In my case, I reload .45ACP, .40S&W auto, and 9mm. I've been known to find enough brass to pay for the gas to get out there :D, but it's not consistent. I refuse to worry about it, other than NOT shooting non-brass cased ammo, or Berdan-primed stuff. We had a member shooting .45's who had his setup arranged to drop his casings on the bench in front of him. He was keeping much better records than I do :D....

Back before Zero's first election, I wasn't reloading, and gave my brass to a buddy who was. Every once in a while (I think his wife wanted to use the recliner :D), he'd give me a handful of .45 brass. He just didn't need the stuff. I used some for cash at my local gun pusher's to buy more loaded rounds, and when things got hairy, gave a mound of the stuff to a local reloader. Told him to just hold 'em for credit as I'd try to be back when he had something I needed. In October 2012, I finally bit the bullet, and went to see the guy for a Dillon press. Used the credit to help pay for the press.

Very helpful - when Zero got re-elected, I had a little trouble finding supplies, but I was still able to shoot regularly. No regrets. I'm not saving as much money that way as when I started, but it's good enough, and good enough to satisfy my wife's "what the heck is that for?" questions. ("Well,it's $25 at the store, and costs about $15 if I make it....")

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

If it's behind the line or within easy reach of a broom, I consider it fair game. I dislike when my feet roll around on spent brass left by someone else, and consider it both polite and right to clean up my area after I'm done shooting and not expect someone else to have to do it for me.

If the range is mostly empty at the time and there's lots of brass on the floor, I may even take a little time to scoop up whatever brass is in empty lanes as well. I usually keep what I scoop up.

I have yet to shoot on a range that does not allow me to collect brass as long as I do it safely without crossing the shooting line or disturb other shooters.

Exceptions to this are outdoor ranges with gravel. I may or may not bother, as sometimes the gravel makes cleaning the brass a pain and often damages the brass when stepped on. Stepping on brass and gravel isn't any more uncomfortable than walking on just gravel other than the noise it makes.
e3mrk

Post by e3mrk »

It really does depend on the Range.
One Range I shoot at even lets Me pick through the Brass Buckets and take what I want for free as long as I promise not to sell it.
Since I reload it saves a lot of Money.
e3mrk

Post by e3mrk »

One range I go to lets Me go through the Brass Buckets as long as I promise not to sell it.
I have saved a lot of Money over the years doing that.
QuackXP

Post by QuackXP »

Our club indoor range policy is clean up after yourself. There is a bucket for centerfire brass if you do not want it. Anything in the bucket then becomes club property and may not be removed for a members individual use. The brass in the bucket is then sorted and sold and proceeds go to the club. Anything other than centerfire brass goes into the garbage.
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
e3mrk

Post by e3mrk »

I don't shoot at any range that wont let Me pick up My Brass.
I like the Grand River Range in Bristolville Ohio. They let Me go Bucket Diving after I'm done shooting,I usually go home with double the Brass I started with. I just promise not to resell it.
The place is clean and They have at least two range officers on site at all times.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

e3mrk wrote:I don't shoot at any range that wont let Me pick up My Brass.
Likewise.

I couldn't afford to shoot if I didn't reload. The idea that I'm going to pay somebody to shoot, AND give them my brass is simply out of the question.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

My closest indoor range closed beginning of last month, that makes it more difficult now for those cold winter days with nothing to do......
No more fishing through bin after bin of the endless brass to fill the void. :evil:
BOB
Luv2Camp

Post by Luv2Camp »

The one thing you need to be careful of when picking up someone else's brass left behind is if has seen its useful life already. Many of the reloaders that I know pick up their own brass until they have loaded the case for its last time. You may be picking up a case that has been reloaded many times over. Be sure to inspect all cases for any sign of separation or cracks before you reload them.
e3mrk

Post by e3mrk »

I only shoot where they let You pick up Your brass.
I like the Grand River Wildlife Area Range because I can also rummage through the buckets of Brass for what I want and They don't care as long as You promise not to resell any Brass You take.