Lawsuit filed after Cincinnati O.C. arrest

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

SeanC
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Lawsuit filed after Cincinnati O.C. arrest

Post by SeanC »

There's authority for the proposition that an officer can arrest someone on suspicion of a misdemeanor committed outside of the officer's presence when the officer has reason to believe that the person's mental state is such that the person may harm himself or others if not taken into custody. The officers write that OC was "argumentative." What does that mean? I don't know.
I am a lawyer; I am not your lawyer.
mreising

Post by mreising »

SeanC wrote: The officers write that OC was "argumentative." What does that mean? I don't know.
They meant Gary was just being Gary. :wink:
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
RCall

Post by RCall »

Something happened with the link to the complaint, here's an updated one:

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2015/09/21/c ... -exhibits/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

mreising wrote:
SeanC wrote: The officers write that OC was "argumentative." What does that mean? I don't know.
They meant Gary was just being Gary. :wink:
This. Very much, this. :lol:
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Oh, by the way...Welcome to the forum, RCall !!
MyWifeSaidYes
Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

Correct me if I'm wrong. If Dressler had heard the guard ask him to leave and disarm, and entered the store anyway he could very well have been convicted of the criminal trespass.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Suckerspawn wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong. If Dressler had heard the guard ask him to leave and disarm, and entered the store anyway he could very well have been convicted of the criminal trespass.
That is correct.
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

SeanC wrote:There's authority for the proposition that an officer can arrest someone on suspicion of a misdemeanor committed outside of the officer's presence when the officer has reason to believe that the person's mental state is such that the person may harm himself or others if not taken into custody...
Sean, where is that authority?
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Werz wrote:...
He was confronted by police inside. An act of Criminal Trespass is completed once all the elements have been established. The offense is completed when "eing on the land or premises of another, [a person] negligently fail or refuse to leave upon *** being notified to do so by the owner or occupant, or the agent or servant of either." R.C. 2911.21(A)(4)...

It doesn't show in this complaint, but the charge against Dressler was 2911.21(A)(1), not (A)(4). As a very wise attorney once pointed out to me, this section includes the phrase, "without privilege to do so".

While I can't speak for Mr. Dressler, Kroger constantly sends me invitations to visit their store.

:wink:
MyWifeSaidYes
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Werz wrote:...
He was confronted by police inside. An act of Criminal Trespass is completed once all the elements have been established. The offense is completed when "eing on the land or premises of another, [a person] negligently fail or refuse to leave upon *** being notified to do so by the owner or occupant, or the agent or servant of either." R.C. 2911.21(A)(4)...

It doesn't show in this complaint, but the charge against Dressler was 2911.21(A)(1), not (A)(4). As a very wise attorney once pointed out to me, this section includes the phrase, "without privilege to do so".

While I can't speak for Mr. Dressler, Kroger constantly sends me invitations to visit their store.

But said privilege can be revoked which it sounds like they did when they told him to leave.

And looking at the court's website, I would venture this was dismissed just to get the case over with. I've never seen so many motions filed on a single misdemeanor case before.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:While I can't speak for Mr. Dressler, Kroger constantly sends me invitations to visit their store.

Try doing it without your shirt and shoes.

And now everyone is going to be upset with me for putting that image in their heads.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Werz wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:While I can't speak for Mr. Dressler, Kroger constantly sends me invitations to visit their store.

Try doing it without your shirt and shoes.

And now everyone is going to be upset with me for putting that image in their heads.
I can post a picture if it will help. 8)
MyWifeSaidYes
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
But said privilege can be revoked which it sounds like they did when they told him to leave.
That doesn't apply under 2911.21(A)(1).
JediSkipdogg wrote:And looking at the court's website, I would venture this was dismissed just to get the case over with. I've never seen so many motions filed on a single misdemeanor case before.
Nope. I believe the judge, prosecutor AND one of the police officers all have "past experiences" with Mr. Dressler and just had it out for him.

If they wanted it 'over with', they could have ended it a lot sooner than they did.

http://www.courtclerk.org/case_summary. ... /CRB/26853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
Liberty Sanders

Post by Liberty Sanders »

If anyone is in contact with this gentleman let him know I'd be glad to be an expert witness on his behalf.
"I wish that SOB had a hundred room house and I could kill him once in every room."
Captain "Bull" Neal, Cincinnati Police Division
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
JediSkipdogg wrote:
That doesn't apply under 2911.21(A)(1).
2911.21 Criminal trespass.
(A) No person, without privilege to do so, shall do any of the following:

(1) Knowingly enter or remain on the land or premises of another;
How does it not apply? if privilege is revoked the element is met. When he entered he had privilege, when he was asked to leave he no longer had privilege to remain. What am I missing?
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.