Westerville PD A+

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Tweed Ring

Re: Westerville PD A+

Post by Tweed Ring »

I tend to minimize risk. I would have notified, as I see this visit as someone engaged in an official law enforcement purpose.
techguy85

Post by techguy85 »

gfrlaser wrote:
wobblygoblin wrote:I live in Westerville and have great interactions while carrying. In fact, this past Friday an officer knocked on my door and I opened and he began to ask me a question. I stopped him and notified and that I was armed, my trusty Glock 19, and he couldn't have cared less. He went on to ask if I had a son named Kevin but he thought he'd gotten the wrong address to which I said nope, no son and that he was right about the wrong address.

I am sure I would not have felt obligated to notify in this situation. Not necessary.
I was all set to argue this point but actually think you are completely right. The in home exemption says the entire section is excepted, not just the possession. I would assume that would include the notification segment. Unless they could somehow charge you under 2923.126 but not sure how that would fly.
(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person's person or concealed ready at hand, any of the following:
(2) A handgun other than a dangerous ordnance;

(B) No person who has been issued a concealed handgun license shall do any of the following:
(1) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and is carrying a concealed handgun, fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the person after the person has been stopped that the person has been issued a concealed handgun license and that the person then is carrying a concealed handgun;

(C)
(1) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(d) A person's storage or possession of a firearm, other than a firearm described in divisions (G) to (M) of section 2923.11 of the Revised Code, in the actor's own home for any lawful purpose.
gfrlaser

Post by gfrlaser »

My point stemmed from when the OP said, "Friday an officer knocked on my door and I opened and he began to ask me a question". I could back up and say if the question was related to me as in, Did you do such and such, then, yes notify would be in order.

But when the question is if I had a relative, etc. to me, that is normal course of conversation so far. Some would argue that notify can actually escalate the situation.
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
docachna

Post by docachna »

I know some here disagree (and some vigorously disagree), but I do tend to notify if in doubt. In fact, I'll sometimes notify even if not required, as in KY or TN. Why ? IMO, that tends to put LEO a bit more at ease if it comes from YOU, rather than them having to pry it out of you.

I'll usually couch it in terms of "By the way, I don't think I'm required to notify you, but just so you know, I do have a concealed carry permit (license, I know.....), and I am armed. Just wanted you to know up front." What does that do ? I believe that for MOST LEO, the immediate reaction is "well, the guy would not have told me that if he were up to anything." Especially if this entire conversation is taking place with both hands at the top of the steering wheel, where he can easily see them.

That is the REASONABLE reaction. I realize full well that there may be a one-off who will overreact. I think you can size that up in your initial contact with them, and if they seem jumpy, flighty, or look like a newbie, maybe you don't want to notify at all in that particular instance, if you think it will only exacerbate matters.

It's a judgment call. You just have to play the hand you're dealt, and do the best you can out there in a very short time span.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Exactly, it should be something you do because you want to or because you think it is the safe/courteous thing to do. Not because you are forced to by some law that does nothing but create issues, generate revenue, and make a criminal out of an otherwise LAC who has harmed no one by their actions. Seatbelts, motorcycle/bicycle helmets, and lots of other things fall under this mala prohibita stupidity.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

WY_Not wrote:Exactly, it should be something you do because you want to or because you think it is the safe/courteous thing to do. Not because you are forced to by some law that does nothing but create issues, generate revenue, and make a criminal out of an otherwise LAC who has harmed no one by their actions. Seatbelts, motorcycle/bicycle helmets, and lots of other things fall under this mala prohibita stupidity.
I'm all for that! If they don't care about their own well-being, make 'em take a number and wait in line when they show up in the emergency room for medical help when they need it. Ejected from a vehicle; tough luck. Brain damage from smacking the pavement; better luck next time.
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life