Man Shoots Up Church

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Man Shoots Up Church

Post by Werz »

bignflnut wrote:21 y/o was on antidepressant suboxone.
???
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Not sure what "???" asks, but the highlight to red of antidepressant may mean there's some challenge that suboxone is an antidepressant.
In people that have either extreme or treatment-resistant depression, many have turned to trying a variety of drugs besides that of SSRI’s, TCA’s, and MAOI’s. Some individuals have discovered through personal trials and research that the drug Suboxone can have profound antidepressant effects.

However, it is considered a Schedule III substance in the United States and is not approved by the FDA for the treatment of depression.

In the mid 1990’s, Harvard Medical School conducted a clinical trial and demonstrated that in individuals with non-psychotic, major depression that was unresponsive to a traditional antidepressant or electroconvulsive therapy, Suboxone successfully treated their symptoms.

Suboxone acts as a partial agonist against the mu-opioid receptor which releases both serotonin and dopamine in the central nervous system. It should be noted that these neurotransmitters are released to a lesser degree than full agonists. Some would hypothesize that the antidepressant properties of Suboxone can be derived from the release of dopamine and serotonin.

Obviously if you are taking Suboxone to treat depression, you either have a comorbid opiate addiction or you have a very liberal psychiatrist. At one point when I was feeling really depressed, I talked to my psychiatrist about testing this medication. He actually is a licensed Suboxone doctor and he advised that I explore other options.
Is that clear as mud?
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Tweed Ring wrote:This thug broke a number of laws. I have yet to read about any law/laws which would have precluded this tragedy. I have yet to read about any proposed law/laws which would pass Constitutional muster.
Urkel and his sycophants think that Constitutional muster is "racist"... or something.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

bignflnut wrote:Not sure what "???" asks, but the highlight to red of antidepressant may mean there's some challenge that suboxone is an antidepressant.
Cocaine is an antidepressant, too. There are limits to which one can presume a legitimate off-label use.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
calvin56

Post by calvin56 »

Suboxone is typically used to treat opiod addiction. It can also be used for pain in people that cannot tolerate opiates. I understand the high is similar to morphine.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

calvin56 wrote:Suboxone is typically used to treat opiod addiction. It can also be used for pain in people that cannot tolerate opiates. I understand the high is similar to morphine.
We use morphine to wean the babies off of mom's Suboxone.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Klingon00 wrote:2. The murderer would not have passed any background check yet still got a gun illegally from his father. Even without a universal background check, it was still illegal for his father to give him the gun and his father will likely go to jail for a long time. A universal background check law still relies upon people to obey the law and would likely have not stopped this tragedy.
According to the latest information he bought the gun himself, in which case I'm confused about the timing and how he passed a NICS check (SC does use NICS, NC doesn't) since the Feb 28 felony arrest precedes his 21st birthday (given as sometime in April).
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

There has been an awful lot of racial discord lately. For both real and contrived reasons. Perhaps it truly is time to dial back the rhetoric.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

WestonDon wrote:There has been an awful lot of racial discord lately. For both real and contrived reasons. Perhaps it truly is time to dial back the rhetoric.
And we would indeed be preternaturally lucky if the Islamists were too stupid to exploit it.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

Lots of people on both the left and the right are busily assessing blame, in many directions, in this tragedy.

I blame the criminal.
dcludwig

Post by dcludwig »

carmen fovozzo wrote:He will be in solitary confinement for LONG TIME....and we have to hear his freaken name a billion more times before he is no longer..
I think they will poison his food. Even if I was a racist, I would not cut my foot off to make my point. He will go into prison with a Day-Glo target on his back. I think if I were him, I would BEG for the death penalty and as soon as possible. But he is much too much a cowardly, evil, piece of scum (aren't most of them, though??) I do agree with Carmen in that he will certainly be placed in protective custody. But they were able to get to Dahmer, they will get to him.
U.S. Army 1968 - 1971
5th SFGA, 1st SF
Republic of Vietnam, March 1969 to May 1971

ALWAYS be aware of the letter of the law, because THEY may not be! --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLxPC6YKlA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

I think Dahmer came out of PC and was reassigned as a hallway porter when he met his demise.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

DontTreadOnMe wrote: According to the latest information he bought the gun himself, in which case I'm confused about the timing and how he passed a NICS check (SC does use NICS, NC doesn't) since the Feb 28 felony arrest precedes his 21st birthday (given as sometime in April).
Yes, I'm interested in the timing as well. The father/grandfather better hope there's no paper trail that might show he gave him money expressly to purchase a handgun. I'm almost wondering if the change in story isn't a CYA by the grandfather. It would appear that either way, the kid was under disability and illegally obtained his firearms and no amount of new background check laws would have prevented it.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Werz wrote:
bignflnut wrote:Not sure what "???" asks, but the highlight to red of antidepressant may mean there's some challenge that suboxone is an antidepressant.
Cocaine is an antidepressant, too. There are limits to which one can presume a legitimate off-label use.
Cocaine's a helluva drug
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

bignflnut wrote:
Werz wrote:
Cocaine's a helluva drug
I'm Rick James.........."B".
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB