Butler County Metroparks

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Butler County Metroparks

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

These folks were contacted some time ago.

They changed their rules, but they didn't change them enough.

They also need some help with spell check.

http://www.butlercountymetroparks.org/d ... /rules.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Section 5: Firearms and Weapons

1545.09 5a
No person, except Park Rangers or other law enforcement officers, shall, within a Park building, carry or be possessed of firearms of any description or other dangerous ordinances, or any air rifle, slingshot, missile throwing device, switchblade, hunting knife, dagger, or metal knuckles.

1545.09 5b
No person, except a Park Ranger, another law enforcement officer, a person within a designated hunting area, a person within a Board designated target range, or a person specifically authorized in writing by the Executive Director or his or her designee shall carry or possess a firearm of any description, air rifle, slingshot, bow, crossbow, rocket, missile throwing device, or hunting knife within a Park unless said devise is a handgun and said person possess a valid Ohio Concealed Carry Permit.

1545.09 5c
No person, except a Park Ranger, another law enforcement officer, a person hunting in a designated hunting area, a person shooting in a designated target range, or a person specifically authorized in writing by the Executive Director or his or her designee, shall discharge any firearm, firework or explosive substance, or air rifle within or into a park. Further, no person shall discharge a weapon within a designated hunting area or target range unless:

(1) such person is hunting or firing within an area designated for such activity by the Board; and

(2) such person if hunting, possesses a valid MetroParks special permit for hunting issued by the Executive Director or his or her designee; and

(3) such person if hunting, possesses all Ohio licenses, permits, and/or stamps as required under Ohio Division of Wildlife regulations; and

(4) such person if hunting, possesses only those weapons permitted under Ohio Division of Wildlife regulations.
MyWifeSaidYes
fyrfytr310

Re: Butler County Metroparks

Post by fyrfytr310 »

Close but no cigar... I OC somewhat frequently in their parks and have yet to be hassled. That said, this language has got to go. Do you have the appropriate contact info?
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

I sent the following email....On April 7th 2012

To the Board of Park Commissioners:
Jonathan R. Granville
Gregory T. Amend
Edward L. Dwyer
Cynamon Trokhan

I was reading the Rules and Regulations posted on the Metroparks website. One rule in particular caught my eye. Specifically, section 5, Firearms and Weapons; 1545.09 5b states that firearms are prohibited unless (among other exemptions) being carried by Concealed Handgun License holders.

The wording of this rule has been a common mistake made by park districts and other government entities in an attempt to comply with Concealed Carry laws. While it is true that Concealed Handgun License holders cannot be prohibited from carrying their firearms in parks, it is also true that people without licenses who lawfully carry their firearms openly also cannot be prohibited. As such, this rule is in violation of ORC 9.68 because the way the rule is worded would prohibit the lawful “open carry” of firearms in the parks.

According to the dates listed on the Rules and Regulations, this was "Authorized and approved by Board of Park Commissioners Resolution No. 50.08. Date Approved: May 13, 2008. Effective June 1, 2008". The relevant ORC section has an effective date of March 14, 2007.

If you have any questions about this, I would be happy to discuss it with you.

Sincerely,
Tbrew85

I got a pleasant reply from Mr Granville but I'm having trouble finding it.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
gfrlaser

Post by gfrlaser »

What??
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

gfrlaser wrote:
What??
He answered me pretty quick, thanked me for pointing it out, And that it would be changed, if I recall correctly. I just can't find the email

Notice that mine was sent in 2012. I don't know why I can find mine, but not his reply.
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
davcar45

Post by davcar45 »

This is still incorrect on the website as of Dec 1, 2014.

http://www.butlercountymetroparks.org/d ... /rules.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; section 5
NRA Endowment Life Member
http://www.assaultweapon.info
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

ORC 9.68 has always lacked genuine, enforceable "teeth" to get things done at all, much less in anything like a timely manner.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

It appears to me that ex-OFCC member "color of law" has put an end to the illegal posting and rules of Butler County Metroparks once and for all. Of late he has further pursued his inquiries with the parks and demanded they change those policies to put them in compliance with ORC 9.68. They seem to have relented.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Brian D. wrote:It appears to me that ex-OFCC member "color of law" has put an end to the illegal posting and rules of Butler County Metroparks once and for all. Of late he has further pursued his inquiries with the parks and demanded they change those policies to put them in compliance with ORC 9.68. They seem to have relented.
Yes, CoL can be relentless when he wants to be!

Looks like his "efforts" paid off!
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
BB62

Post by BB62 »

3FULLMAGS+1 wrote:
Brian D. wrote:It appears to me that ex-OFCC member "color of law" has put an end to the illegal posting and rules of Butler County Metroparks once and for all. Of late he has further pursued his inquiries with the parks and demanded they change those policies to put them in compliance with ORC 9.68. They seem to have relented.
Yes, CoL can be relentless when he wants to be!

Looks like his "efforts" paid off!
Details here, for informational purposes and for those aspiring to similar levels of greatness: :wink:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showt ... park-rules" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor