Lake county Sheriff

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Sgt. Erb

Lake county Sheriff

Post by Sgt. Erb »

had to renew my CHL today.
things went like this.
went to their web page to see what i needed to do.
made an appointment on line.
was able to pick day and time frame i wanted. received a confirming reply with in minutes.
even got a reminder e-mail last night.
went to office with my finished paper work.
my appointment was at 1140, got there a little early. both officers were busy HOWEVER one acknowledged me and checked me in with in 2 minutes of my arrival. was informed there were several ahead of me.
both officers there were very nice and helpful. i felt welcome and was treated with a high level of respect.
i was taken on time and out of there in about 20 minutes with my CHL IN HAND.
no wait no mailing.
good experience all around.
a BIG thumbs up to Both of them.
i will be writing the Sheriff and letting him know how pleased I was with me experience.
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Lake county Sheriff

Post by WayneB »

Given how long "CHL's" have been the law in Ohio-land, all visits should go that way.
gaptrick
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by gaptrick »

Your experience was not a fluke either. I had the identical visit there in Lake County. A model of efficiency and friendly to boot.. HIGHLY recommended...
Unarmed people are vulnerable people, and criminal predators prey upon them.

AWRHawkin

"A story about a bird stealing a knife from a crime scene...and we're more interested in hearing about the Canadian with a gun.
Man, we need to get lives."
MWSY
Ray

Post by Ray »

gaptrick wrote:Your experience was not a fluke either. I had the identical visit there in Lake County. A model of efficiency and friendly to boot.. HIGHLY recommended...
Maybe Lake Co. can train the other Sheriff Departments how to do this also. :lol: :lol:

Ray
Me and my
XD-9
Taurus 38
PT638 Pro-380
P-22
Sig 9 for wife
NRA Member
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

Ray wrote:
gaptrick wrote:Your experience was not a fluke either. I had the identical visit there in Lake County. A model of efficiency and friendly to boot.. HIGHLY recommended...
Maybe Lake Co. can train the other Sheriff Departments how to do this also. :lol: :lol:

Ray
You'd think Sheriff's would have some kind of group where they could get together, share best practices, etc.
kentman

Post by kentman »

They do, it's called the buckeye state sheriff's association. They are pretty active in the concealed handgun license issues. They were actually a driving force in getting the original legislation passed back in 2008.
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

kentman wrote:They do, it's called the buckeye state sheriff's association. They are pretty active in the concealed handgun license issues. They were actually a driving force in getting the original legislation passed back in 2008.
My comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek as I'm aware of the association (and certainly appreciate they're driving force in getting concealed carry pushed along). Certainly Sheriff's have to implement the procedures that work best in their situation, but reading the forums here there seems to be a great disparity in how different offices do things. It seems like Lake (and I'm sure several others) really have it down to an easily repeatable process and one that works well with the folks too. Others -- not so much.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

WayneB wrote:
kentman wrote:They do, it's called the buckeye state sheriff's association. They are pretty active in the concealed handgun license issues. They were actually a driving force in getting the original legislation passed back in 2008.
My comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek as I'm aware of the association (and certainly appreciate they're driving force in getting concealed carry pushed along). Certainly Sheriff's have to implement the procedures that work best in their situation, but reading the forums here there seems to be a great disparity in how different offices do things. It seems like Lake (and I'm sure several others) really have it down to an easily repeatable process and one that works well with the folks too. Others -- not so much.
Well, if you like standardization, what about the Ohio State Police? That's something the Buckeye State Sheriff's Association is concerned about, and the Ohio State Highway Patrol thinks they may get that because our newly re-elected governor seems to think it's a good idea.

How does that sit with you?
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Werz wrote:Well, if you like standardization, what about the Ohio State Police? That's something the Buckeye State Sheriff's Association is concerned about, and the Ohio State Highway Patrol thinks they may get that because our newly re-elected governor seems to think it's a good idea.

Very badly! No!!! No!!! No!!! No!!! No!!! No!!! No!!! No!!! No!!!

I am living with centralized concealed handgun licensing in Texas, where the Dept of Public Safety is centralized in Austin. It is impossible/difficult to get anyone on the phone, documents are regularly lost, if you do not resubmit requested documents (that they lost) in a "timely fashion" your application is simply closed, and everyone here seems to think you have no right to ask status or complain unless your application has been in process for at least 60 days.

I have one friend who took 7 months for his renewal!

A local sheriff at least has some accountability to voters. If you do not like the way your sheriff is handling things, you can at least have the theoretical option of helping to campaign for a different sheriff.

Try dealing with a bunch of self-entitled, bored, give-a-s**t civil servants at the other end of the phone instead? No way in heck.

I was far happier dealing with the Franklin County Sheriff's office. My first license included something like 19 addresses in 7 states. They took a couple of business days to issue (guess they were a little slower when the program was first starting up). My renewal one business day. They routinely process in one business day. They were friendly, face-to-face, and customer-centric.

If this gets proposed, every gun rights group in Ohio needs to oppose it. Mark my words as I sincerely hope they are not prophetic!
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
WayneB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WayneB »

Werz wrote:
WayneB wrote:
Well, if you like standardization, what about the Ohio State Police? That's something the Buckeye State Sheriff's Association is concerned about, and the Ohio State Highway Patrol thinks they may get that because our newly re-elected governor seems to think it's a good idea.

Not very well, actually. I'm with BobK that a centralized bureaucracy almost always does a poor job. They cut staff & resources, can't get anyone on the phone, etc. It's something I would vote against if I had the opportunity.

My point was that every Sheriff's office in the state has the exact same requirements as outlined in the law. Some implement it well. Some, not so much. They could certainly take lessons from each other and adopt best practices in order to maximize their efforts and keep the line moving smoothly.

Certainly they have different logistics to overcome -- different numbers of people in the county, numbers of officers available, etc.etc. But clearly some of the offices, like Lake, have their stuff together and could be a model for others. It's bad enough that we have to pay for and wait in line to exercise an enumerated right (and of course some would argue that it's not, etc. -- different topic) -- we shouldn't have to suffer great aggravation to boot. (Personally, my experience was fine -- I'm referring to others I've read about.)
Bersa45

Post by Bersa45 »

Lake county has been on top of there game for a long time. I live within a few blocks of the Ashtabula county sheriff's office where we got ours back in 2004. However the last time we had to renew it was pretty obvious that Ashtabula was not up on the latest laws covering chl. So the wife and I went to Lake county and had the great experience that the OP did :mrgreen:
OFCC member

3 seconds

Restraint when needed and action when required.

"Retreat? Hell, we're attacking in a different direction!" Major General O.P. Smith, November 1950.

Before a government can become a full-blown tyranny, the government must first disarm its citizens. The Founders of this nation, from their own experience, knew that when government goes bad, liberty evaporates and people die ... unless the people are armed. JPFO
fyrfytr310

Post by fyrfytr310 »

Montgomery County could take some lessons.....
-Mike

NRA Life Member

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
Tench Coxe
docachna

Post by docachna »

You have to admit, there is an argument that a Vinton County should not be held to the standards of a Cuyahoga/Lake/Ashtabula/Franklin/Hamilton County. I feel for the Sheriffs in the boonies, who are doing well sometime to keep a couple of cruisers on the road and keep the jail running, and then get another "unfunded mandate" from the State.

Not arguing against uniformity of service - it's absolutely the goal - but not every county can afford the "gold standard".

Now if there's a way to make sure the counties don't take the financial hit, then I'm all for it. There should not be any huge divergence in service as among counties.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
BobK

Post by BobK »

docachna wrote:Now if there's a way to make sure the counties don't take the financial hit, then I'm all for it.
A well managed office would view CHL licensing fees as a profit center. They should certainly be able to process a CHL for much less than the fees.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Dave44142

Post by Dave44142 »

Bersa45 wrote:Lake county has been on top of there game for a long time. I live within a few blocks of the Ashtabula county sheriff's office where we got ours back in 2004. However the last time we had to renew it was pretty obvious that Ashtabula was not up on the latest laws covering chl. So the wife and I went to Lake county and had the great experience that the OP did :mrgreen:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It is good to hear that things went so well in Lake county. I am soon going to have to renew and i am going to ask if it may be ok for me to go to Lake county. I live in Cuyahoga county but i got my ccw in Portage county back in 2010. At that time they were just fantastic but am not sure how they are doing now days.Does anyone know how Portage county is doing on renewal?....Dave
God gave us the right to self defense, the second amendment stops the Government from taking it away.
The American Revolution wasn't about tea and taxes — it was about taking guns!