Small of Back Convert

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JediSkipdogg

Re: Small of Back Convert

Post by JediSkipdogg »

When I carry I generally carry around the 4:00 position. (Right handed, so 8:00 left handed) With a small cant forward, it makes drawing pretty easy and keeps it generally concealed much better.
carmen fovozzo wrote:It would be much easier if people were not scared of guns. Then we could OC and wear Speedo's all the time.. :)
Send that one to Open Carry Texas. I'm not even sure MDA will touch that one. If they do, maybe the like photos of guys in thongs with ARs slung over their shoulders.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

One thing to remember with the 4/8-o'clock position is that if you're bending over, depending on the cover-clothing you wear, it could cause you to print quite a bit or could even raise your cover clothing over the gun.

Not to say that there's not compromises to any other "clocking," either. :) It's just something to watch out for and be conscious of, that's all.

-----

Mal R wrote:
TSiWRX wrote:...have a training-partner sit or lay atop you and see if you can effect the draw from SOB or simply with the gun "clocked" farther towards your 6'o-clock. Again, we get to that question of "what are the odds," but on a very practical level, simply look at how Zimmerman was mounted.
Even 3:00 (or 9:00 for a lefty) could prove a bit difficult to access a firearm. Depending on how the person on top is positioned, his/her legs probably/likely/possibly could be blocking your firearm. Granted, it would be even more difficult the further back you go.
Exactly.

There's going to be instances when even appendix/inguinal carry is going to be difficult to access from, when mounted.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Tru-Heathen

Post by Tru-Heathen »

JediSkipdogg wrote:When I carry I generally carry around the 4:00 position. (Right handed, so 8:00 left handed) With a small cant forward, it makes drawing pretty easy and keeps it generally concealed much better.
carmen fovozzo wrote:It would be much easier if people were not scared of guns. Then we could OC and wear Speedo's all the time.. :)
Send that one to Open Carry Texas. I'm not even sure MDA will touch that one. If they do, maybe the like photos of guys in thongs with ARs slung over their shoulders.

No please No ! No one wants to see either of these two (un)dressed in that fashion.

A wayfarer should not walk unarmed,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need a spear,
Or what menace meet on the road.

- Verse 38 from the Havamal, the Wisdom of Odin.
Jim-in-Toledo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Jim-in-Toledo »

I usually carry a compact 1911 at around 4 oclock.

On Thursday afternoon I fell from approx 10 ft on to my right upper back/shoulder area, and now have 4 broken ribs on my right side, (where the pistols grip was located) and a closed fracture of my right scapula.

I have again been reminded that pain hurts.

S.O.B.? Not for me, 4 oclock hurts enough. :cry:

Be careful out there.

(I know the OP corrected sob to 8 oclock for her actual carry position, just throwing out a real world situation for consideration.) :wink:
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
I am the expert on my opinion.
And no one else's.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ Ouch! :shock:

Heal quick.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I believe, while the risk of spinal damage may be increased by 6 o'clock carry, the ultimate decision lies in carrying WHEREVER causes you carry all the time.

Belly bands are an option that do not rely on pants, belts or hips.
MyWifeSaidYes
TKshooter

Post by TKshooter »

I have bought the crossbreed modular belly band.

My husband also makes me holsters so i have all the IWB and full kydex OWB holsters I could ever want.

I also bought the flash bang holster too and a shoulder holster

I like carrying on the hip the best, but having curves sometimes makes that difficult to conceal.

I wanted to make sure I had every type so I could to ensure that I carry all of the time.

It is hard- these "other holsters" have downsides. The flash bang I'm sure is better if I carried something smaller than a Shield. But people told me if you are larger chested its easier to conceal- found out not entirely true- if you are larger chested- putting a gun in there makes it pretty full lol.

Belly band- I went with the modular since the others had me worried about sufficiently covering the trigger guard. It does work when I don't want to wear a belt or sweats- but it makes a velcro noise when I move.

Even the shoulder holster I found to be not very convenient and hurt my shoulders by the end of the day.

So this hip is the "sweet spot" for me, and now that I am carrying behind the hip and the grip is concealing better- I feel so much better in public that I am now concealing better.
-TK

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

Watch your six. :)
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Not only watch your "6" but make sure your aware that your mode of carry does not mess your memorie reflex's when you have to draw..multiple carry positions can be tricky....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

carmen fovozzo wrote:make sure your aware that your mode of carry does not mess your memorie reflex's when you have to draw..multiple carry positions can be tricky....
^ That's a biggie.

Remember how you're carrying for the day - and train to be proficient in all of your different carrying methods/guns.

Be honest with yourself as to your abilities and also ability to train to the differing methods.