Loaded Gun While Camping

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Fonejack54

Loaded Gun While Camping

Post by Fonejack54 »

My son asked me a question yesterday and not sure of the answer. First, he is 28 yrs old and no CHL (works 3 jobs and 6 days a week, just no time).
We discussed automobile carry of handguns and I explained the open carry options. I told him to open carry when camping in a state or national park and in private parks if not against policy. If I am wrong about the parks, let me know.
Where I was stumped, is, he asked if it was legal to have the loaded handgun inside the tent. So, if you've been hiking around all day open carrying, do you become illegal when you lay down in the tent?
'The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!'" Eleanor Roosevelt

"For me to live is Christ, to die is gain" Apostle Paul
Brian D.

Re: Loaded Gun While Camping

Post by Brian D. »

I don't see why, in and of itself, being inside the tent would change the legality of possessing the gun.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

It's legal.

I suspect you're confused because you conflate having a gun in a vehicle with concealed/open carry. It isn't. It's illegal because ORC 2923.16 makes it illegal to have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle. It's legal for people who have a Concealed Handgun License because that law makes an exception for people with that license.

There's no law against having a gun (otherwise legally possessed) in a National or State park, so it's legal.
There's no law against having a gun (otherwise legally possessed) in a tent, so that's legal too.
hutsona

Post by hutsona »

So, if "we" change from a tent to a motor home, does the legality change? And are other state's (say, Indiana or Missouri) laws similar to Ohio in this regard?
...learning new things every day!
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

hutsona wrote:So, if "we" change from a tent to a motor home, does the legality change?
Very much so. A "motor home" is a "motor vehicle" as defined in the law so having a loaded handgun in a motor home is illegal (for non CHLs). The fact that it's your residence is an exemption to the charge of Carrying Concealed Weapons (RC 2923.12) but not to Improperly Handling Firearms in a Motor Vehicle (RC 2923.16).

No it doesn't seem fair, esp. if the motor home isn't being driven. I suspect if it's parked in a campground and obviously being used as a residence vs. transportation the charge wouldn't stick but afaik that hasn't been definitively ruled on by the courts.
hutsona wrote:And are other state's (say, Indiana or Missouri) laws similar to Ohio in this regard?
There are similarities and differences. According to http://www.handgunlaw.us both IN and MO allow firearms in state parks (except for Falls of the Ohio park in IN) but while Indiana also requires a carry license to have a loaded gun in a vehicle, MO doesn't. I encourage you to investigate the state laws of other states yourself. http://www.handgunlaw.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a good starting point. The Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States is another great resource.
hutsona

Post by hutsona »

Thanks a lot, DTOM. I'll have to pass the info on to my brother-in-law, as I'm sure he's thinking that once the motor home is parked, it's not a vehicle any more. ...and we don't want him to be the test case!
...learning new things every day!
CroManGun
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by CroManGun »

hutsona wrote:Thanks a lot, DTOM. I'll have to pass the info on to my brother-in-law, as I'm sure he's thinking that once the motor home is parked, it's not a vehicle any more. ...and we don't want him to be the test case!
According to ORC (Ohio Redneck Code) BR5.49: If the wheels are removed, it becomes a trailer. However, two motor homes cannot be joined together in order to construct a double-wide. :roll:
Genuine Scooter Trash
Member: NRA/OFCC/AAA/GER/AFG
Former Member: Amish Chippendales
I Am Not A Lawyer, But I Have Played One In Real Life
mdoerner

Post by mdoerner »

And just be thorough here.....a "travel trailer" (i.e. no motor) would be considered a "home" but with wheels? Or is it a vehicle? :D

Mike Doerner
JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JustJack »

mdoerner wrote:And just be thorough here.....a "travel trailer" (i.e. no motor) would be considered a "home" but with wheels? Or is it a vehicle? :D

Mike Doerner
Regardless of the wheels, since it has no motor, it is not a 'motor vehicle'. Since ORC 2923.16 specifically states 'in a motor vehicle' you would not be violating the law. It's the motor that is the key.
IANAL, YMMV, other standard disclaimers, yada, yada, yada, etc, ad nauseum, in infinitum.
"If stupidity was painful, I would be deaf from all the screaming." - Samuel A. Grim
spioi

Post by spioi »

I keep dual mac 11's with me. I saw the blair witch project. I know what goes on out there.......
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

spioi wrote:I keep dual mac 11's with me. I saw the blair witch project. I know what goes on out there.......
Bad camera work?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Just for what its worth, Mobile Home's have "motor vehicle" titles and are transferred at the BMV just like a car. Work as a probate paralegal has me very familiar with that. A mobile home, however, is distinguished from the two motor vehicles/and/or motor BOAT that a spouse can transfer outside of probate. That is a good question. Which is why midnight votes with little debate are a bad idea. The more people speak on something, the more weird but true angles are brought up and dealt with.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.